28 replies to this topic

#1 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

Anyone know the best scope mount for an older Sheridan silver streak?

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

This should be the one you need.http://www.crosman.c...ccessories/B272

#3 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

thanx for your reply Yodel Dog. I have read customer ratings on this product and they were not at all favorable. The people who commented said that this mount became loosened when the scope rings were mounted to it, and the mounting screw screw just became a pivot point when the rings were mounted to the intermount. I guess I may have to use an epoxy in addition to the screw that holds the intermount to the barrel in order to better secure the mount to the rifle. :)

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

I have an old Silver Streak from the 60's.Posted ImageBut the way I grew up pumping the gun the scope is in the way. I could never get used to holding the gun by the grip and pumping.

#5 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

Thanx for the reply SJ I hadn't even given that a thought. My sheridan silver streak has no rear sight on it, and I thought I should put a scope on it rather than trying to find a new rear sight. Decisions, Decisions...

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

It hard to beat open sights on the Sheridan. That gun of mine has killed more game than many of my friends shotguns and rifles. A scope is nice on a PCP and a break barrel like my Beeman's but the Sheridan makes that pumping tough.

#7 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

It hard to beat open sights on the Sheridan.

I agree with John a hundred %. I'd get a new rear sight put on. If I did ever go back to a scoped sheridan, I'd put the intermount farther up the barrel and go with a pistol scope. Like John says, a rifle scope and pumping on the sheridan is pretty tough. Here's my old blue streak from the 60's...Just so happens I also thru in my Daisy model #25 pump from early 60's as well :lol: Posted Image

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hey Mike we're like brothers from another mother. My Daisy Model 25 from the very early 60's too. :smiley_green_with_envy: Posted Image

#9 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

I just love those old guns. Youse guys got some beautiful rifles. I am going to try and find a new rear sight for my Sheridan, then if that don't suit these old eyes I'll try the handgun scope as Mike recommended. You guys are great, thanx a lot. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#10 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:20 AM

Hey Mike we're like brothers from another mother. My Daisy Model 25 from the very early 60's too. :harhar1[1]:

...Oh yea John and them model #25's were serious shooters in the good old days. I don't know how long I just sat and stared at that gun after seeing it under the Christmas tree. Looked up and saw that big smile on my dad's face as he drank his cup of coffee...and the worried smile on my mom's face :smiley_green_with_envy:

I am going to try and find a new rear sight for my Sheridan, then if that don't suit these old eyes I'll try the handgun scope as Mike recommended.

...I love it when a plan seems to come together...have fun with that gun Anchor Man.

#11 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thanks MikeNC,I really appreciate your Positive comments. I hope I can find the missing rear scope blade, :smiley_green_with_envy:

#12 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:36 PM

Your going to love your sheridan Anchor Man. I still use mine after all these years. It's just kind of meant to be used with open sights. I cannot really explain why I say that, but it's just the way I feel about that gun. I have tried different scopes and set ups and then always go back to the iron sights. I would think that one of the major air gun and accessory stores can help you out. I'll kind of search around later tonight and see if I can find something.

#13 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hi Anchor Man....Give Tim at Mac 1 a call. He does lots of super tunes on Sheridans. I do not know if he has sheridan parts for sale, but he might be able to help you out with the rear sight or possibly even a Williams peep sight. I have heard that it is best to call him rather than to try an email. let us know what you find out. here's a link to his site...http://www.mac1airgun.com/index.htm

#14 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

O.K. MikeNC,Thank you very much for your advice and for responding to my request for assistance. I'll give him a call tomorrow and let you know the result. :good:

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Calling Tim is the only way to go. Since he works on so many Sheridan's I bet he'll have a sight for you.

#16 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

I called and spoke with Tim McMurray as MikeNC and Shooter John recommended and he is sending me a rear sight at a very reasonable price. Tim treated me as a valued customer and he was very friendly. Thanks to both of you for your help. :roflmao3[1]:

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

That's great you are going to have such fun with that gun when you can see what you are aiming at. Try some JSB pellets in that Sheridan, they are awesome.

#18 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:59 PM

I'll do that SJ. Hate to show my ignorence but is JSB a brand, a type, or what? :WTF_1:

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

It is a brand. Here is a link.http://www.pyramydai...Domed_500ct/477

#20 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

I called and spoke with Tim McMurray as MikeNC and Shooter John recommended and he is sending me a rear sight at a very reasonable price. Tim treated me as a valued customer and he was very friendly.

That's good news AM...I have heard many good things about Tim. Glad he could get you up and running with new sights. You are about to start a great new adventure in air gunning...and you picked a very fun and good shooter to start it off with :good: Make sure to keep us all updated on the fun

#21 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

That's good news AM...I have heard many good things about Tim. Glad he could get you up and running with new sights. You are about to start a great new adventure in air gunning...and you picked a very fun and good shooter to start it off with :good: Make sure to keep us all updated on the fun

Thanx again MikeNC, A little adventure in my life would be a good th :good: ing I will keep you posted.

#22 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

It is a brand. Here is a link.http://www.pyramydai...Domed_500ct/477

Thanx again SJ I think i'll order a box of the domed and a box of the predator just to see what they are like. They are certainly inexpensive enough. :good:

#23 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Tim McMurray had the sight to me in 2 days. It took me about 20 minutes to put it on the rifle. I was on the paper within 2 inches of the bulls eye without adjusting the sight at all, shooting offhand from about 30 feet.I believe I am going to have fun with my sheridan. Thanx again to all, for the guidance and the input of your experience.

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

Sounds great! You should have some really fun with that gun. Mine was a very close companion for many years and still gets dragged out for special occasions.

#25 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

Have fun with that sheridan. It's an easy gun to have fun with. Ask SJ about his skunk booties that were made after dragging that sheridan out for a special occasion :good:

#26 Handy Smurf

Handy Smurf

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Air gunsmithing, custom scope mounts, pest control hunting, quail hunting, reloading sailing, alpine skiing, and inventing.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:48 AM

Anyone know the best scope mount for an older Sheridan silver streak?

Here is my solution for 'scoping a Sheridan. These mounts are designed to mount the scope as low as possible for less rise between zero points. I use a pistol scope so pumping is not a problem. These mounts are rock solid... no possible movement!Also fits Benjamin HB17 & HB22.Attached File  1.jpg   14.27KB   24 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   15.55KB   25 downloads

#27 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

Looks nice, where did you buy the scope and mounts? How much?

#28 Handy Smurf

Handy Smurf

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Air gunsmithing, custom scope mounts, pest control hunting, quail hunting, reloading sailing, alpine skiing, and inventing.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:57 AM

I bought the scope from Scopes n More for $170. here is the link. http://www.scopesnmo...phy-732632s.htmI fabricated the mounts myself because I couldn't find any really good mounts for this application. On airguns, I want the scope mounted as low as possible so that the pellet's flight path has minimal rise between zero points. For quick shots, I don't have to compensate by holding high for close shots or low for midrange shots. I will try to post a drawing to illustrate what I am talking about.

#29 Handy Smurf

Handy Smurf

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Here is an exaggerated illustration of the effect of scope height. Keep in mind that the line of sight through the scope is a straight line, and in order to launch a pellet to that line of sight zero point, the rifle is pointing "uphill". After passing the zero point, the pellet continues rising for some distance before it's ballistic flight path again intersects the scope's line of sight zero point. You can see that the higher the scope, the steeper the launch angle, resulting in a higher ballistic arc. Since the distance pellet guns are used at is fairly short, I prefer to have the zero crossing points well within that usable range so that less hold over/hold under compensation is required to place the pellet in the kill zone. A friend and I eradicated a bunch of ground squirrels from a builder's supply yard. He had a Beeman R1 in .20 cal. with a high mounted scope and I had my Silver Streak with my scope mounted as low as possible. the rodents were wary of us and appearing briefly at ranges between 10 and 37 yards from our position. While his rifle was more accurate than mine, I still bagged more than 3 times as many squirrels.While he was referring to his ballistic chart, I would just line up the cross-hairs and put a .20" hole in the squirrel's head. Attached File  Scope_Height.jpg   20.16KB   4 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users