• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, varmint hunting, boating, fishing, horses..

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

OK, with the weather warming up and all of the recent talk about snakes ( as well as one personal experience ), I'm thinking about getting a snake gun sidearm. I'm thinking about something that would work for snakes as well as being a finishing gun for coyotes, etc... When I've looked for snake shot, the only one that I see is CCI. Does anyone use this stuff? How well does it work?

#2 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

You know what...these days I let em live. Stopped killin rattlers years ago. Just my .02
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

I have to admit I'm with Deerslam on this topic. I used to catch rattlers to make hat bands and knife sheaths and such. But I pretty much leave them alone now. The one that bites you is the one you're messing with. They're just trying to get away 99% of the time.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

OK, with the weather warming up and all of the recent talk about snakes ( as well as one personal experience ), I'm thinking about getting a snake gun sidearm. I'm thinking about something that would work for snakes as well as being a finishing gun for coyotes, etc... When I've looked for snake shot, the only one that I see is CCI. Does anyone use this stuff? How well does it work?

For my money, I have a Ruger Speed Six in 357. You can shoot the 38cal snake shot in it. In fact, I carry the first two rounds as snake shot, and then 4 rounds of 357. That pretty well covers it for me. I know, a lot of people what their semi's, but the revolver always goes bang, even with the snake shot.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

You know what...these days I let em live. Stopped killin rattlers years ago. Just my .02

Ditto w/ the exception if they are on my duck club or if I have a hang over.Seriously, I kill them if they have the potential to strike a kid or a dog. Otherwise I just catch them, take a picture of them and let them go.

I'm thinking about something that would work for snakes as well as being a finishing gun for coyotes, etc...

.22 snake shot does well on buzz worms but I'm just not sure how it would do on finishing up a Yote.

#6 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, varmint hunting, boating, fishing, horses..

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, I always have a walking stick and use it if necessary to move them away and I will continue to do that if I can. I'm not planning to kill every one I see, just thinking about situations where you get surprised and it's you or them...then I want it to be "them".I have been looking at 357s and 38s for this and it sounds like that is a pretty good choice. Between the two though, it sounds like the 357 would be a better finishing gun?

#7 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

We have a little 410 shot gun called a snake charmer. Very short, has a small rifle stock with the thumb hole.. Fits in the front storgae area of the quad. I cant remember where we bought it, have had it for years.. Just a single shot but you just make sure you dont miss and you wont need anymore :roflmao3[1]: And around here I will kill them if I see them since we have kids and animals, but out and about I leave them be..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

I don't go looking for them but if I see one I will take it down. The skins are super easy to tan. I used to salt them out and then use Armorall on them to make them shine and make the skin flexible. Easiest leather to tan. With kids and animals around I don't mess around. I like other snakes especially Kings because they will eat the rattlers. I've used 22lr, shotguns, 44 Mag shot shells, shovels, rocks, or whatever else is handy. I've seen them get aggressive and actually chase a person before which is scary. Back when we used 1080 on the squirrels we didn't see rattlesnakes. Of course we didn't have coyotes either but we had a lot more deer.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

I have an old Ruger single six convertible I got in high school that works great if you need something for this. The .22 magnum cylinder with snake shot is perfect and I've used it for taking small game too.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

I'm of the see it...end it group. I see most of my snakes in the same area I do my Quail hunting. I've had two close calls within the last year and a half. I use my .40 on the snakes. Nothing special as far as ammo type...anything works with a head shot.S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#11 CRITTRGITTR

CRITTRGITTR

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, upland, deer, and last but not least predator hunting. Bass fishin, trout fishin, even a little fly fishin once in a while. Anything outdoors. I also do taxidermy has been a hobby of mine since i was 12 years old

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

I am with John on this one. .22 mag is plenty for rattlers works great actually and at close range will finish off a yote with no problem.(I guess I should say with a well placed shot) I do limit my shots to about 75 yards though it is capable of doin the job farther than that. Also a great gun for pelts if you are interested in not destroyin your furs.

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

Wow, I don't think I would shoot a single six, even a mag, 75 yards at a coyote. I'm not that good of a shot. :horse apples: I think you meant that you would use a 22mag in a rifle version?
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users