20 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:03 AM

I did some bass fishing yesterday at my favorite hole. The bass are still young and small, but there are TONS of them everywhere. Didn't catch any "big" ones this trip, most of them were in the 8" to 10" range with a few up to about 12". I caught approx 100 bass and approx 50 bluegills from 1pm to 7pm. The bass were biting on my custom made "stiff neck special" 2-inch worm with a split tail and a few beads on a #6 hook fished on the surface. They can't help but attack that thing. I also caught a few on 8" black Power Worms, 6" natural colored Walmart worms, 6" melon Yakomoto worms, assorted jigs and rubber swim baits. They won't touch a buzz bait, never have. My homemade "stiff neck special" catches more fish than anything I've seen after fishing this lake for 16 years and it's what I use 90% of the time unless I'm going after the big ones. The bluegills stay tight to the shoreline guarding their nests. This time of year, they attack just about ANYTHING that hits the water. Cast within inches of the shore and if there's one there you'll hook him garanteed.Posted ImageThis is about med/large size for this time of year. Not real big but they're pretty fat. Lots of fun, especially on my ultralight rig and 4lb line. They'll grow by the time Sept rolls around. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageTried one of these rubber swim baits and caught this guy on the first cast. Didn't catch anything else on that lure all day. ???Posted ImageI started counting my percentages of casts vs catches. A few times I'd catch 4 bass in 4 casts. That's the highest I got. I caught 24 on the same 2" rubber worm before it finally fell off the hook. I caught 12 bass on this one, it ripped in two so I salvaged the tail end and caught 9 more including some bluegills before I retired it. Posted ImageAt the end of the day I kept a few bluegills for the frying pan for me and the Mrs. I think they're yummy fried in butter and fresh garlic, but hardly worth the work. It takes more time to clean them than it does to eat them. Posted Image

#2 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

Nothing like a great day of Bass fishing.Thanks for sharing the pictures.You were on a boat I assume?

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:31 AM

Yup, I have a one-man Water Skeeter pontoon boat. It's like this but yellow. It fits easily into my trunk and assembles in about 15-20 minutes.Posted Image

#4 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:13 AM

Nice. I've always looked at those pontoon boats.... Never got around to it though....

#5 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

I think he'd look nicer in my fish tank B)

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:30 PM

Nice haul! Have you ever tried the belly boats?

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

Have you ever tried the belly boats?

His feet drag the bottom of the lake! B)

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

I guess he wont drown that way!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

I still haven't figured out why he even needs the boat? B) B)

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:35 PM

Because he CAN?

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

His feet drag the bottom of the lake! :lol:

Thats funny SJ that happens when you have long legs.. :P Those pics stiff neck sure came out clear makes me want to go bass fishing my self. I glad those rubber swim baits work I bought a pack that look like craw fish never got a hit.... did you try any top water action like a rapala minnow. I have good luck with the minnow and chad type.i also love using the frog on moss and tulle pads. thanks for sharing..

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:04 AM

I've tried poppers and crank baits, spinners and everything else out there. There's so many bass in this lake that you'll catch fish on just about ANYTHING. But not very many unless you're using the right lure. I'm sure it's the same for most lakes, and I've found what works in this particular lake. If you're happy with catching just a couple of fish in an entire day, use the stuff you see on TV, I see other fishermen up there that don't hook hardly anything while I'm reeling them in left and right. If you want to catch hundreds like me, use the "stiff neck special". :)As for the boat, I have to have something to keep my feet out of the water. When it gets too deep to see the bottom, Stiff Neck gets creeped out. Me no likey deep water. :lol:

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Me no likey deep water. :o

:lol: :lol: :o

#14 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

Shark Week on the Discovery Channel is coming up in a few weeks... Like I need to watch that... :lol:

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

Hay stiffneck why does that red bead in front of the worm works so good do they think its Salmon eggs.I will keep it in mind and try it out next time. thanksyou ever what shark tournaments on the OlN channel its a great show.

#16 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

I used the same lure without the beads for years and caught lots of fish. Then I thought I'd try adding beads for extra casting weight without sinking the lure. I catch more fish WITH the beads than without, and I believe it's because they make noise. I fish this lure by casting as far as I can on ultra lightweight gear and 4lb line. I immediatly reel in the slack, and begin to bring it in with sharp twitches about 3-4 incheas at a time just like a popper but at a medium pace. It is almost neutrally boyant, it hovers just under the surface maybe an inch or two as long as you keep it moving now and then. I think the beads slap together which attracts the bass. They go crazy over it! They'll bite the worm without the beads too, but not as quickly. Maybe the red bead triggers them to strike, I don't know. I've never tried any other colors, this is just what I have on hand and it works pretty darn well, I can't possibly immagine ANYTHING working any better than this.

#17 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

Smallest fish I've ever caught at this lake. (yes, with a #8 hook, on the mouth)Posted ImageLargest fish I've ever caught (landed) at this lake. Hooked a bigger one a few years back but he snapped my 4lb line...Posted Image

#18 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:24 AM

I see other fishermen up there ..."

Mind if I ask where "up there" is?

#19 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:40 AM

It's a small PG&E lake near Truckee. It's not a "secret" spot since ShooterJohn knows where it is. I think he's fished every square inch of standing water in the entire state. :lol:

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

It's a small PG&E lake near Truckee. It's not a "secret" spot since ShooterJohn knows where it is. I think he's fished every square inch of standing water in the entire state. ;)

Funny :lol: :P I've missed a few square inches of standing water here and there but I've fished his lake. :o But what I've missed in standing water I've tried to make up for in the moving water department. :o

#21 Esavage

Esavage

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, and Computers

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:34 PM

Nice job, stiff neck. I sure would like to come out there and catch those California Monsters everyone is talking about. Here in Indiana the fishing has really slowed down with the hot summer months now in swing. I had a tournament this past Tuesday, and it was difficult to get a bite. We did end up in 3rd though. Lost by 2lbs even. If I only wouldn't of lost that 4lber with 2minutes to go. Dang the bad luck. Here is my largest bass to date, it was caught this February. 21" 6.5lbsPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users