81 replies to this topic

#31 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

If anyone know of such a product I would love a link. Repainting is a breeze and alot of fun, but it would be nice to be able to save/protect a sweet camo job. I love some of those shotguns pictured above. You have some sweet paterns going there wannakillacoyote.....who i will refer to from now on as WKC.

Clear Rustoleum was recommended to me. WKC is this the clear that you saw result in a "Satin" finish?

#32 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

Attached File  Camo17HMRredo002res.jpg   76.5KB   114 downloadsAttached File  Camo17M2CompRes.jpg   107.09KB   114 downloadsAttached File  24FCamo01.jpg   54.85KB   101 downloads

#33 Beretta

Beretta

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and camping. <br />NRA lifetime member, Ducks<br />Unlimited member and 8 year <br />member of the River Ranch Hunt Club.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

Excellent job guys...Got some good ideas!!!!! :horse apples:

#34 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:59 AM

Bozsik did Lil' Shooter do the over and under ? that looks great.

#35 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:39 AM

Had to get mine on this thread. I think This would be a good thread for pinning...LOTS of good info here on how to.Attached File  1.jpg   21.29KB   8 downloads

#36 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:19 PM

Definitely a thread to pin. Been practicing on an old army ammo can, and I'm glad I did rather than just trying it on the gun without any practice. A couple of the colors I got originally reflected light so bad that I could have signalled a rescue plane with them. Going for the Army Digital look, and the last time I practiced it I was pretty impressed. I am going to incorporate some large tiger-stripe type pattern in with it, to help avoid the appearance of blending together at a distance. I got a good feeling about this technique. My brother let me borrow his digital camera so I can document the process!

#37 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:56 AM

There's a cool video on youtube with a guy doing digital on a paintball gun. basically just makes stencils with random patterns on graph paper.

#38 Remi700

Remi700

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Shooting, and Hunting.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:10 PM

Here's my factory stock off of my savage that i used to practice on.....Posted ImageHere is my shotgun...Posted ImageHere is the Mini 14....Posted Image

#39 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

Supplies needed1. 3-4 different colors of flat/matte spraypaint (I used Rustoleum Sandstone, and primers)2. Sandpaper (around 240, and 400)3. Tape (easy on, easy off variety is nice)4. Artist sponges (found at any arts/crafts store)5. fishing line (heavy test)6. earplug or styrofoam peanut7. Windex/paper towels8. tree with low/horizontal/strong branch9. paper plates10. some sort of medium to practice on11. latex gloves Select matte colors to avoid having a paintjob that reflects sunlight. I took several colors back to the store because they were reflective enough to signal an airplane with (forget about any “satin” paints). I HIGHLY suggest you practice painting on another platform several times before painting your rifle. This will likely give you more ideas, and definitely instill confidence in your work by the time it’s time to do the gun. Step 1. Take a deep breath, clear your head, and relax. Everything is going to be alright, and your gun will thank you afterwards. Step 2. Sand any wood down starting with about 240, then finishing-up with about 400. Step 3. Plug the muzzle with the earplug/Styrofoam, then tape off any areas you don’t want painted (openings in the receiver, air reservoir, scope lens, etc) It is better to cover to much of the area with tape than not enough, as touch-up will be easy; removing paint from the innards will not.. I taped-off the checkering on the wood as I didn’t want to mess with sanding it, and also thought it would look pretty neat.Posted Image Step 4. Use the fishing line to suspend the gun from the tree at a comfortable working level to enable easy access to both sides. This allows the painting and drying of both sides of the gun simultaneously.Posted Image Step 5. Windex the metal surfaces of the gun to remove any dirt, and oils from your hands (I forgot to do this part). Step 6. Double-check your tape, then take your base color of spraypaint (I suggest using the lightest of your colors for the base) and carefully spray the gun with a light layer at a time to avoid excess paint from depositing which will form a “drip”. Take particular care to go very light on the wood, and plan on doing another coat on the wood after the first one dries if necessary, as wood can absorb some paints . I learned the hard way that trying to remove any drip that may form by wiping it off, or touching it just makes it look worse, and more un-even. Allow ample drying time. Posted Image Step 7. Check the tape again. Wear latex gloves to enable steadying the rifle without depositing any oils from your skin. Take a paper plate and spray a puddle of your first color onto it. Again I suggest starting with the lightest color/shade first (in this case grey primer). After dipping the sponge into the paint, dab it onto the un-painted portion of the plate a time or two to avoid applying excess paint to the gun (it doesn’t take much). Go very generous on the pattern with this color, as the others will easily cover it. Allow ample drying time.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Step 8. Repeat step 7 with your next lightest color. Use a new sponge. Do not be concerned with overlap, as that is why you go heavy on the first color). Posted Image Posted Image Step 9. Repeat with your darkest color. I suggest a much darker color for this phase, and that it be applied sparingly, as it is there only to help break-up any consistency in the pattern and simulate shadowing. Use a sponge with very large pores for this part to avoid excessive blotching (use the Marine Digital pattern for an example of the proper ratio of the darkest color to the rest, and how it should look). Next time I do this part I will use a smaller sponge, as this time it seemed a bit excessive in some spots. Allow drying time.Posted ImagePosted Image Step 10. Go out in the field in your camo and take pictures to post online (black and white is nice), then put the rifle in the garage/shed for a couple days until the paint smell goes away.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#40 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

GREAT WRITEUP!! Thanks! I may have to give that a try. I would personally go with some different colors, but the pattern and process is great!!

#41 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, Wannakillacoyote! This rifle is going to see the most use against coyotes, and since they can't see the colors anyways, the shading and lack of reflection were more important to me than color on this gun. The colors available to me in town that didn't reflect to much light were very limited (a flat, light green proved impossible to find). I may go over it again, and go heavier on everything, as it seems pretty difficult to over-do it. Next time, I will reverse the base color Sandstone with the darker Sandstone, and see how that works. I am also going to try colors more like the actual Army Digital, and Marine Digital on some other equipment when I can find a better assortment of colors.

#42 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:34 PM

Nice job of painting and those are some cool pictures! Just curious, is that red colored vine Poison Oak? Almost looks like it, hope not though if you're allergic to the stuff.

#43 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

No, I beleive it is just some sort of berry bush, in it's fall phase.

#44 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

You guys got me wanting to repaint somthing! Any one want to help with my truck? Im going to get in big trouble :roflmao3[1]: nice stuff guys.

#45 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

I have since figured out how to make the images black and white to see the contrast in shading. I didn't have the camera when practicing, so I didn't have that benefit until I got the images uploaded onto photobucket today.I should have noticed that the grey primer and the base color I used are practically the EXACT same shade. I'm going to go over it again with more of the darker Sandstone color, and the darker primer as well. When I can find some non-reflective green I will add some of that but not much as a small amount of green has a big affect.Looking at the true military digital camo, it is usually only three colors (or shades) anyways. Probably for a reason I guess.I think it will be more effective if it is just a bit darker overall, anyhow. Posted Image

#46 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

Cool, reminds me of german flectar camo.

#47 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

;) :signbummer8tl: :flag:

#48 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

Your right it does look similiar. I really like the German Flectar pattern. I went ahead and changed it up a bit so it would be darker, and show more contrast between shades. It doesn't look as clean as it would have had I done it this way from the start, but I think it will work just as well. I'm taking this gun to the hunt, not to the prom.Posted Image

#49 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

;) :signbummer8tl: :flag:

What's so funny?It does look like Flectar?http://www.armysurpl...productID=17481

#50 leftfoot

leftfoot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

Those are some good looking paint jobs. I've always liked being able t change the look according to the season and terrain. Mine may not look like much but it fits the need and the budget.Attached File  1.jpg   15.63KB   12 downloads

#51 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

What's so funny?It does look like Flectar?http://www.armysurpl...productID=17481

Mine is still a work in progress. I added more of the darker colors, and am leaning towards adding some dark tiger-stripes to break up the pattern from any distance, then I'll leave it alone for awhile.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#52 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

So does this count? And do I get extra points for doing it 1 handed by myself?Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

Butcher, thanks for the step by step. I have a buddy that has been trying to talk me into this for a while :signgreatreport3kg: but admittedly I didn't want to wreck a good gun. Gonna try it on my Mossberg 500, 20 ga. I love all my guns but IF i screw this one up it won't break my heart. Great ideas from all who posted, thanks.

#54 Jake

Jake

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

Dont know if you can call it a camo job.Attached File  1.jpg   16.98KB   10 downloads

#55 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

Here's mine...unfortunately it's still there cause I couldn't find it again after snapping the photo.Attached File  1.jpg   20.34KB   12 downloads

#56 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

Clear Rustoleum was recommended to me. WKC is this the clear that you saw result in a "Satin" finish?

If you are looking for a true flat clear, go to a hobby shop that sells miniture figurines made for gaming with. They will have a true flat clear coat.

#57 angel of death

angel of death

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Predators, birds

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

my Rem 308Attached File  1.jpg   19.26KB   10 downloads

#58 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

That's a nice camo job. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#59 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

savage 10 243 win leupold vx3 predator/asat camo best camo patterns i think

Attached Files

#60 BC9696