15 replies to this topic

#1 NIGHT-T

NIGHT-T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

Just got my hands on a new hawke sidewinder 30 tactical 6.5-20x42 on my ar-10 .308 and hit the range. I havent heard or seen alot on this scope so figured i would give my opinion and a range report. I have always been a firm believer of you get what you pay for and in this case i would with no hesitation say you get more than what you pay for. After putting in the order to redhunterllc and recieving hands down the best customer service i have ever recieved in dealing with an optic or and online order period my scope arrived for face to face action. Now normally using higher end optics like NF, leupolds, etc i didnt know what to expect when i went with am optic that was $400 compaired to $1.500. But right out of the box i was impressed with hard case that it had arrieved as soon as it came out of the box i went over all the goodies it came with and went straight out side to get a little face to face action checking the clarity of the glass,the illumination,focus,turret clicks and locking abillity etc. Looking through the glass i will honestly say the clarity and light transfer is better than any leupold i have ever owned and is compairable to NF. The locking turrets are a nice touch as long as you get them nice and tight when you zero it in, they can be a little tough to get locked back in place and the clicks are a little soft for my liking. The clicks are soft but loud enough to hear very easily while trying to adjust. Illumination is very nice with the 5 different brightness settings in both green and red and the focus knob is right behing the illumination wheel witch i had no problem adjusting either with out having to put the bigger focus wheel it comes with. So now to the range it was a nice cold windy and rainy day but figured if it couldnt handle the bad weather then i didnt want it. So after getting the scope mounted i zeroed in at 100yds and shot 50rds to get the scope and bbl warmed up. After that i took it out to 300 and to 700yds to really test the tracking and turrets. Shooting a few shots on steel at 100 i went straight to the 300rds and 10 shots straight rang steel with minor scope adjustments, so then i steped it out to 700 witch for me was moving up 19minutes and it didnt go 10 straight but it hit as much as i could with the wind and rain. After a few shots at 700yds i dialed it back down to 300 and it was dead on then back to 100yds and shot a 5 round group to see what it could do and to my suprise it had no problem producing sub groups Posted Image (5 rond group). After a day on the range of 200+ rounds I would say this scope is more than capible of running with the big boys in the optics industry and is suitable to do anything weither its predator hunting or target shooting or big game hunting a hawke optic will stand up to the challenge. I hope this helps any bodys hesitation in a hawke since theres not alot of info out there or experience but i will say for sure they blew me away along with redhunterllc and there will never be a leupold on any of my xmas list again they have been replaced with the hawke... here are a few pics i tried to go through the scope but keep in mind i suck with a camera.Posted ImagePosted Image (trees are closer to 200yds away)Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image (no tresspassing is 85yds away from house)hope you guys enjoy

#2 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

Might have to look into 1 of these.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

Good post. I am going to try one soon.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#4 NIGHT-T

NIGHT-T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:48 AM

i will be getting another thats for sure and my buisness will be with redhunterllc.com

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

Needless to say, I am very glad that Night-T is happy with his new Hawke Optics. I can exhale now...LOL That is a very good report and I value the opinions of an experienced shooter like Night-T. It's not easy going head-to-head with well established national brands, especially when doing internet sales but I believe in the Hawke products and the value they represent. Customer satisfaction is my best advertising and I am certainly open to all of your product suggestions, which I will promptly pass on to Hawke Optics. Thanks Night-T and have a great Thanksgiving.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:56 AM

Took me 5 shots with my AR-15 in 6.8 SPC to get it sighed in :1087: love it works perfectly and tracks really well from what I have tested on my .308 Every time I take my rifles out just to mess with them when I watch a movie or something on TV I crank the poop out of the turrets and its back on zero when I go shooting :signbs1zn: love it for the money.
Shoot to Kill not to wound !

#7 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:52 AM

Nice write up. I should have one in Feb. Thanks.

#8 hsiehjohn

hsiehjohn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing for Tuna, hunting wild pigs and coyotes.

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the report. This is very helpful

#9 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

Anybody done a box test with one?

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

Box tests are difficult to perform by the average shooter. The main reasons are the shooters abilities and the rifle performing the test.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

Box tests are difficult to perform by the average shooter. The main reasons are the shooters abilities and the rifle performing the test.

I couldn't agree more. I've done it before with three different scope and one capable and very accurate 308.Here's two of them both at a distance of 110 yards. My procedure, I'll fire first shot at the bullseye, I dialed 3 MOA up and 3 MOA right and fire shot no 2. I then dialed 6 MOA down and fire shot no. 3. Dialed 6 MOA left and fire shot no. 4. raised the elevation 6 MOA up and fired shot no. 5. reset to original zero by dialing 3 MOA right and 3 MOA down and fire the final shot no.6. Here's the result with Nikon Tactical 2.5X10X44Posted ImageWith my 3.5X18X40 IOR Valdada Tactical scope. I made a mistake in dialing shot no. 4 by dialing 9MOA rather than 6. As you can see I almost hit the edge of the target.Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#12 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

DF you have it made with that range so close to you!

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

That's why I'm reluctant to move out of here :lol: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Stan, you're always welcome to join me. You just have to wake up early :signtripledogdare2wf:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#14 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Up @ 4 am to be at your range by 5:30 is just too early to shoot Paper now if was to go hunting Id be there! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#15 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:54 AM

Yeah! But look at it this way, we can have lunch afterwards at your favorite Mexican restaurant.

#16 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:26 AM

Might have to look into 1 of these.

This is the scope I'm going to put on my soon to come fx .22 royale! I have two 4-16x50 Eclipse 30 SF's on my Dianas and they're great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users