• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

Went and broke in the R-15 down in the desert today but the winds were not good for sighting in a new rifle. I shot 150 rounds of Hornady .223 55gr V-max thru it. I did some experimental shooting with my buddy's Cabela's Tactical Turret 3-12x40 scope. It's an okay scope for the price and the turrets worked okay. Review on the scope is in the scope section. Winds were 12-14mph left to right with gusts to 18+. I was shooting from my Harris bipods as I don't own a transportable bench rest. The photo's are my best shot groups of the day. I also took some long shots from 301yds and 425yds when the wind died down to 4mph. I didn't take any photo's of these as I was being swarmed by bees. Ever try long shots with bees sitting on you and sucking down sweat from your forehead? I managed to hit the 5 inch bullseye 3 out of 5 shots from 425yds. It will get better when I put my Bushnell 6500 Elite on and borrow a portable bench rest next time. Rifle needs a better trigger also.This photo is the 100yd group.Attached File  IMG_0298.JPG   107.05KB   58 downloadsThis is my best group from 225yds. Wind made me drift to the right so you won't see the other holes.Attached File  IMG_0297.JPG   135.01KB   48 downloads
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#2 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:34 PM

if you dont mind me asking. where did you buy it and how much ;)
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,021 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

Those are minute of coyote. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

if you dont mind me asking. where did you buy it and how much :roflmao3[1]:

I bought it thru Ten Percent Firearms and had it sent to my FFL in El Cajon. It already came with the Bullet Button mod and a 10 round magazine along with the stock 5 round that Remington ships with the rifle. It was expensive at $1400 but I didn't have to buy it in pieces and assemble it myself (I'd loose small parts) plus everything works together. I've had other guys tell me when they purchased their guns in pieces that they had to grind this or sand that or they forgot to order this and had to wait for that.... all I want to do is shoot. Plus, it's a Remington/Bushmaster that should prove to be reliable. Only thing I don't like as mentioned earlier, is the trigger! Otherwise-she's a shooter for sure. Maybe not as good as a bolt gun like my CZ527 Varminter but she's lighter and the follow up shots will be awesome!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

Those are minute of coyote. :roflmao3[1]:

Thanks SJ! Now, all I have to do is get the coyotes to come my way. Those follow up shots will definitely come in handy out in the open deserts.

#6 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hey pretty nice shooting for a wind whipped afternoon. Yeah those Bushmaster triggers can be a little spongie. Get yourself a nice 2 stage match trigger and it will be a whole different world.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#7 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

Nice shooting! I know what you mean about the bees out there! What is it with them? On one stand out there, I thought there was a hive in the bush I was sitting in front of. It is very hard to sit still with that kind of distraction.

#8 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:19 PM

Nice shooting! I know what you mean about the bees out there! What is it with them? On one stand out there, I thought there was a hive in the bush I was sitting in front of. It is very hard to sit still with that kind of distraction.

Next time you go down there, try wearing shorts (or cargo shorts like I was). Then you'll see how hard it is to Sit still. They crawl up into whatever opening they can. God help those that go "Commando". The bees are looking for water or moisture. The heat down there makes us sweat, thereby giving them the reason to home in on whatever they can lick up. When I first started shooting down there 14 years ago, I thought they were the African Killer bees because they came out of nowhere and swarmed on me. When I realized they weren't stinging me, I calmed down. Wait until you skin a coyote down there! See how many bee's come out to "help" you and notice how much quicker your skinning skill become! :signbummer8tl: I'll PM you and get your schedule again. We need to go down and hunt together before I go under the knife on the 23rd.

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:51 AM

good shooting!!

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

Next time you go down there, try wearing shorts (or cargo shorts like I was). Then you'll see how hard it is to Sit still. They crawl up into whatever opening they can. God help those that go "Commando". The bees are looking for water or moisture. The heat down there makes us sweat, thereby giving them the reason to home in on whatever they can lick up. When I first started shooting down there 14 years ago, I thought they were the African Killer bees because they came out of nowhere and swarmed on me. When I realized they weren't stinging me, I calmed down. Wait until you skin a coyote down there! See how many bee's come out to "help" you and notice how much quicker your skinning skill become! :signbummer8tl:

I know what you mean about bees while trying to sight in. There's a spot me and Woodog go to. Evidently it's not only a great out of the way place to shoot, but also a great place to store bees. A few months ago, the land owners put tons and tons of bees on the right side of this quarry we shoot in. I guess they do this each year, but this is my first year going to this spot. Woodog and I setup on the far side away from the bees, but they wouldn't leave me alone. I didn't think about the sweat, but they kept going for my beard. It's red, so I think they were trying to polenate me. :flag: I'm glad Woodog didn't have a video camera, cause I'm sure it would have made the top 10 on Youtube. I must have done the "Bees Bees!!" scene from Tommy Boy 5 or 6 times before I finally gave up trying to sight in my rifles. At one point, I tore off my shirt cause I could hear the bee on me and it just kept buzzing. After I got rid of my shirt, I realized it was in my beard!! ;) Man I hate Bees!!!!
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:37 AM

What trigger are you contemplating putting in it?

#12 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hi CF! I already ordered a Timney National Match single stage trigger with a 3lb pull. I understand from Wannakillacoyote that Woodog has one and it's awesome. I was contemplating the Geiselle trigger but at almost $300, well, the wife put her foot down and said "it can't help you kill that coyote any better than the $195 Timney" so the decision was made for me. At least she let me buy a better trigger than what's on it now. I just installed a Badger One extended charging handle latch to help in pulling the handle back from under my scope. I also put a Magpul trigger guard on so my fat finger can get in there with gloves on. I'm also trying to figure out how to attach my single point sling to it for field carry. I took my sling off my brothers M4 but no one seems to make an attachment for the sling when you have an A2 type butt stock. I'll get it figured out yet. Just don't want to go with a strap around the stock to hook up to.

#13 SStgQ

SStgQ

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, Hikking, FISHING, HUNTING, Swimming, HUNTING, Camping, HUNTING, Off-Road, and HUNTING.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

Hey pretty nice shooting for a wind whipped afternoon. Yeah those Bushmaster triggers can be a little spongie. Get yourself a nice 2 stage match trigger and it will be a whole different world.

I don't have that much experience with aftermarket triggers, I was used to the 2 stage trigger we had in our military issued M16-A4. However, ever since I assembled my own AR, the River Rock 2 stage Match trigger I bought has worked reliably and with a crisp that I never felt on my old M16.

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:58 PM

Update: I just installed the new Timney Single Stage 3lb Match trigger in the R-15 tonight. Man, what a difference a trigger swap makes. Just sitting on my living room floor with the lower separated, I played with the stock trigger making sure to feel every creep and point of hammer release. Then I followed the instructions and 10-15 minutes later, she was done! It would've only taken maybe 5-8 minutes but I'm a stickler for using loc-tite on every nut and bolt on anything I take apart. This trigger has some small screws that I took out and put the blue stuff on and then some small set screws to go on top of the other screws to keep them from backing out. These little set screws were a pain in the a$$ to install. The tension springs were in the way of the screw holes and had to be moved aside a jewelers screw driver. All in all, it was fairly easy to install. The feel of the trigger is amazing! It feels like the 2lb trigger on my CZ527 Varminter bolt action rifle that I had accurized. It is so crisp I can't wait to get this thing on a range or back to my bee infested shooting area! I'll keep you guys posted!

#15 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

One last R-15 VTR update: RobT2K and I went to the range the other night to sight in our rifles. Finally got to meet each other. Project 2000 for those of you that don't know-is an indoor shooting facility with both pistol ranges (up to 25yds) and rifle ranges (up to 100yds). I almost froze my backside off due to the extremely cold AC they had on. Anyhow, if you own an AR-15 rifle, you've got to get one of these Timney National Match single stage triggers! It's probably the single most important modification you can make for your AR-15. No creep what so ever and a very crisp hammer release. RobT2K's rifle has a modified trigger with lightened springs like Wannakill's. Also very nice trigger. HUGE improvement over the stock trigger. One thing very noticable is the recoil difference between the two rifles. His AR-15 has the short barrel and collapsible butt stock where as my R-15 has a 22" barrel and the A2 stock. Very tight groups out of both rifles-no more that 3/4" at 100yds. Now, it's time to turn in and kill a coyote tomorrow morning-hopefully!!!

#16 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

Yeah that rifle is really nice. I like how it is not super heavy, like most "varmint" rifles. After comparing my trigger with your timney, I'm very pleased with the results of the trigger job I got.How did it go out in the desert? Sorry I had to miss it, thinking of going out this afternoon.

#17 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

I was complaining a while back about the trigger in my Spikes Tactical AR but after running around 500 rounds through it it smoothed out a little and I got used to it. Reading your post has got me fired up again to get the Timney. I guess I know what Santa's bringing me fore Christmas!Good Report...Thanks
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users