#1 805hunter

805hunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:MMA, air rifles.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:12 AM

I just bought a Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 .22 and am wondering where I can start hunting some small game??? I live in Oxnard which is in Ventura County, California zip 93033. If anyone knows of a place nearby please let me know. Thanks

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

I am 68 years old so that makes me about 1/2 smart. But knowing what I know now,,, this is what I would do. Find and drive up to a dairy farm and ask the owner (not a worker) if you can shoot pigeons with your air gun. Explain that you will be very careful NEVER to shoot any cows and that the workers can have some (or half) of the pigeons you shoot. Once you get on with one farm the next one will be easy. Good luck and let us know how you do.The Murph.

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

There's agricultural land out in Oxnard and down the 126. Check with people you know and ask if any of them or their friends have acreage out there. Then approach them responsibly and ask if you can hunt English sparrows, starlings, jack rabbits, cottontails and ground squirrels with your air rifle. Make sure you have your Calif hunting license. If you don't have one, you'll have to take the Hunter Safety Course. And it's also nice if you have a pre-printed Permission form for the landowner to sign that authorizes you to hunt, states where you can hunt and what prey. You can download a sample form from DFG's website.

#4 JxMAN25

JxMAN25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fly Fishing, Air Rifles, slingshots, anything outdoors.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

I am 68 years old so that makes me about 1/2 smart. But knowing what I know now,,, this is what I would do. Find and drive up to a dairy farm and ask the owner (not a worker) if you can shoot pigeons with your air gun. Explain that you will be very careful NEVER to shoot any cows and that the workers can have some (or half) of the pigeons you shoot. Once you get on with one farm the next one will be easy. Good luck and let us know how you do.The Murph.

Are you talking wood pigeons? Are ferel pigeons edible.

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

805 Hunter, Good advice from Mr. Del and Ratassassin. The only thing I might add would be to go online and see what the Ventura County laws are about shooting an Air/Pellet gun. I know in LA County that it the law states that it is illegal unless you are at a firing range. This could put a crimp in your shooting plans if Ventura County has followed suit. If not, there is a lot of National Forest north of you there to explore if you can't find any Farmers/ Ranchers right away who are willing to let you hunt there property.

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Good point about checking the County ordinances. Also, he'd have access to both Los Padres and Angeles National Forests.

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

On this forum,you can search the Varmit Hunting section on tips where to hunt...i started like you and what I did was visit the nearest Nat'l Forest ofice in my area...they were very helpful giving info and showing on maps where I could hunt...from there I learned abut BLM land,and,as some have mentioned,hunting on private land...You also need to visit the DFG site for legal game in season for air rifles...such as squirrels,turkeys,rabbits,etc..ground squirrels and jackrabbits are year round...cottontails from July to Jan 31 st...etc..

#8 805hunter

805hunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

I want to thank everybody for the help. I really appreciate it and will let everybody know what happens. Thanks to all!!

#9 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:35 AM

Good luck. Be patient and learn as much as you can. Here are a few more tips. Before hunting, it's very important to know in advance the lethal potential of your particular rifle and pellet combination and at what range it's good out to. For example, although it's possible to make kill shots at farther distances, I personally impose a practical limit on my shots to 50 yards or less because that's where I have the most confidence that my shot will put the critter down quickly and humanely, especially shooting in field conditions offhand or seated and shooting off my knees. Also, at 50 yards, my domed .177 pellets (usually JSB Exacts or Beeman FTS) still retain enough energy to reliably and humanely kill a small varmint or bird. Practice on paper before shooting at animals to ensure you know in advance what an ethical shot will be for your personal skills and gear. Shot placement is critical. Don't take shots beyond ranges that you can't reliably make in a 1" group. It's also very important to map the trajectory of your pellets. Before hunting, I'll zero my rifle at 10 yards (some people like 20 or 25 yards), then sit on a stepstool and shoot at paper targets set out every 5 yards from 15 to 50 yards. Shoot 5 shot groups and write down the point of impact at each range, compared to your point of aim. Then tape the map to your stock so you can refer to it in the field. It might look something like this one I made for my R9:Yards/POI10 yd = 015 yd = .75"20 yd = 1.25"25 yd = 1.75"30 yd = 1.50"35 yd = 1.25"40 yd = 1.0"45 yd = .85"50 yd = .75"55 yd = 0These aren't necessarily the actual numbers that will work for your rifle. Just giving you an example of how you can map the rise and fall of your pellet's point of impact along its trajectory. You can use software to create a map but in my experience none of them have been as accurate as one you make yourself using your own gear and skills. Get a laser rangefinder, too. I've got a cheap Bushnell 450 that's good out to about 200 yards. Then you can know the exact distance of your prey, compare it to your trajectory map and know exactly how high or low you have to hold over or under to hit your target predictably. I suggest you right click on this link and select Save Target As to download this booklet/article written by Robert Hamilton entitled California Small Game and Varmint Pellet Rifle Hunting: Game, Gear & Technique. Robert Hamilton literally wrote the book on hunting with springers. Terrific information in there. http://cvs.graphicsm.../airgunhunt.pdf

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

Some hunting tips:Day pack:Take water/snacks,first aid kit..Hunting squirrels: Mostly I hunt ground squirrels from ambush..after scouting for burrows,i find a 'hide' within rifle range and 'pre-laser' area with my rangefinder..I always use a rest,or shooting sticks,and/or a light camera tripod for longer shots (60-70 yards). A walking stick is handy with the 'Little Sure Shot' clamped on.(Harbor Frieght/$12)..fully ajustible on height for sitting,kneeling or standing..(see pics below)..You can make shooting sticks from 5/8" diameter wood dowels..use strong wax string to bind together..good for sitting/kneeling..Cottontails..easier to hunt...just move slow..the walking stick rig good for this for quick shots from standing..Safety: Always check your 'hide' for rattlesnakes before sitting down,kneeling,etc..Have fun out there..!!Using a Caldwell 'bag rest' ...$10..good for boulders, tree falls,fence posts,etc..saves your forestock and handy for springers..Posted ImagePosted ImageWalking stick far right..light tripod center..Predator shooting sticks left..not shown..Stoney Point Bipod..(Expensive though)Posted ImageHere I'm sitting using the tripod..picking off squirrels....i fit a Caldwel rest to the tripod..comes with velcro straps..Posted Image

#11 805hunter

805hunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

Where do i find a pre-printed permission form for the landowner to sign? i checked the dfg website but could not find a sample to download?

There's agricultural land out in Oxnard and down the 126. Check with people you know and ask if any of them or their friends have acreage out there. Then approach them responsibly and ask if you can hunt English sparrows, starlings, jack rabbits, cottontails and ground squirrels with your air rifle. Make sure you have your Calif hunting license. If you don't have one, you'll have to take the Hunter Safety Course. And it's also nice if you have a pre-printed Permission form for the landowner to sign that authorizes you to hunt, states where you can hunt and what prey. You can download a sample form from DFG's website.

#12 Airpower

Airpower

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

SeeLinkhttp://www.dfg.ca.go...files/FG994.pdf:roflmao3[1]:

Where do i find a pre-printed permission form for the landowner to sign? i checked the dfg website but could not find a sample to download?

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

You can get the form on the forum right here: http://www.californi...?showtopic=5939

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 805hunter

805hunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

thank you for the help with the permission form.

#15 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

If no luck with the ranches in Oxnard and Camarillo you might want to try a spot in the Los Padres National Forest. Just go up the 33 from Ojai. One spot you might want to check out in LPNF that might be good is Ortega Flat. Its about a mile down the Ortega Trail just past wheeler gorge. It might not be good im not really sure but it could be worth it.Also here is a link to the Ventura County Ordinances Ventura County Ordinances

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users