21 replies to this topic

#1 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

I don't like the big arse battery I have in it though. I may remove that big battery and use an "8 AA" battery pack instead. It'll save alot of room. However, it will cost a bit more as I will have to replace batteries.It's LOUD too! Basically my mp3 playing cell phone plugs into a 10Watt amplifier and out to the speaker. That big battery will last a freakin' year!

Attached Files

Sheldon

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

That's awesome. :doh[1]: W hat is your parts list?That brings a whole new meaning to calling a coyote!! :1087:

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

Talk about a boom box! I don't think the battery is big enough. Maybe you should use one of your golf cart batteries. :doh[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Well, originally I was going to just play these call sounds right on the stereo on my golf cart, but decided a hand carry job is much more ideal. That battery IS way overboard. I figured that out this afternoon when I finished the design and build. Like I said, I can probably go with the (8)AA battery pack (12Vdc) from Radio Shack an make that work. That would make it less than half the size and less than 1/3 the weight!Parts list:Elk 15Watt 8Ohm outdoor speakerElk 10Watt 12Vdc amplifierRadio Shack Project EnclosureTotal build: less than $50.00 - except I had the cell phone already. So figure the price of a cheap mp3 player into it if you build it.
Sheldon

#5 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

That brings a whole new meaning to calling a coyote!!

Gosh, I can't believe I didn't think of that! :1087: I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! I'mna go out and CALL some coyote's this weekend! :doh[1]:
Sheldon

#6 Varmint Al

Varmint Al

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Computers

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

That big battery will last a freakin' year!

How about this for a neat 12 Volt battery that will last 6 months.http://www.allelectr..._ASSEMBLY_.htmlI got two of them and they are really good!Good Hunting... from Varmint Al Posted Image

#7 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

That battery is about half the size of the one I have now. That's a nice one. I was thinking of going with this:http://www.radioshac...rentPage=search
Sheldon

#8 Varmint Al

Varmint Al

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Computers

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

That battery is about half the size of the one I have now. That's a nice one. I was thinking of going with this:http://www.radioshac...rentPage=search

That is probably just as good. You can use recharable batteries or alkaline. Should work very well. Way to go.Good Hunting... from Varmint Al Posted Image

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

Looks good. Your packaging is neat also. ;)

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,246 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

That should work great. I made one out of ALs designs it worked great the battery in the mini amp lasted for a long time.

#11 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:48 PM

I made the one on Varmint Al's page. However, I swapped out the Radio Shack PA speaker for a Speco one (much better sound and a 10' jack plug already attached).Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#12 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

Wait till you see what I got up my sleeve!I purchased the 8 AA cell "pack" for a more compact unit.Next step:It was a little slow at work today so I got to drawing up some schematics and found some parts to make a 100+ meter remote control! I'll practically have me an FX5 without a fancy box.The Whole unit will still be less than half this current size and less than 1/3 the weight still! ;)
Sheldon

#13 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

Now that is what I need! My remote range is terrible and I could use a LOT more distance. Would love if you would share that info. Really just need something that mutes the speaker and then allows it back on again.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#14 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Well, I just ordered the parts to build the remote part of it. Once I get the parts in and test it, I'll share. I'm not sure if It'll work as I'm advertising just yet. I have to design a small circuit to drive the transmitter and the receiver.You'll have alot more options than just mute, etc. with my design. You'll be able to use any $29 MP3 player from walmart with it too! I have a question for you guys that have an FX5 - are the sounds stored on the remote control, or are they actually stored on the unit itself?
Sheldon

#15 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

They are stored in the unit...as far as I know. I have a FX3 and plan on upgrading to the FX5 remote this summer.
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

Yes, they are all stored in the unit.

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

NICE job, Sheldon... I AM impressed... That huge speaker cracks me up, looks great... Heck, you can call right from your house with that puppy...Way to go Frank

#18 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

Well, I just ordered the parts to build the remote part of it. Once I get the parts in and test it, I'll share. I'm not sure if It'll work as I'm advertising just yet. I have to design a small circuit to drive the transmitter and the receiver.You'll have alot more options than just mute, etc. with my design. You'll be able to use any $29 MP3 player from walmart with it too! I have a question for you guys that have an FX5 - are the sounds stored on the remote control, or are they actually stored on the unit itself?

I use my IPod with it's RF remote. Lucky if I can get 50 feet with brand new batteries. Would love to get 50 yards so I can place it and the decoy far enough away to really get in the position that I want to be at.Darren

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

So Sheldon will your new remote be FCC approved? Just curious as they are not a friendly lot and they weren't given a sense of humor at birth. :signlol2iu:

Time waits for no one--

#20 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

John,No approval required. I'll be incorporating the 2.4Ghz freq. in my remote.D-ManThat's why I avoided the FM tuner transmitter. It's great for it was designed for - car use less than 10 ft. away.Frank -It's not that big. The speaker is only 5" round.
Sheldon

#21 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,246 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

Who is the Fcc and what does it matter its just a home project hes not selling them. When you get the caller done go play a prank on some on. I played the 3 group howl behind this ladyies house they are adjustment to a 30 acer field and canal she called me 5 minutes later all excited that a pack of coyotes are at her door. lol I laughed my butt off shes a animal lover anti hunter type.......not anymore.......... :signlol2iu:

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

Who is the Fcc and what does it matter its just a home project hes not selling them.

You just tell them that when they come knocking at your door. I'm sure they'll be real understanding. :signlol2iu:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users