22 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

For all the Purist guys that hate when people cut up mil-surp rifles, here you go. Started out as one of the cleanest 91/30's I've ever seen. Drilled and tapped for the scope mount, cut barrel to 22", cut stock, added pistol grip and recoil pad. Gonna thread the barrel and turn out a muzzle break next.Gonna play with some lighter bullets and see if I can work up a lower recoiling varmint loadDidnt know how I wanted to paint the stock. My 10yr old girl was painting some xmas decorations white at the time and said "you should paint it white". I said "white?", then thought about it and decided to try the snow camo.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Hic Ego Statio

#2 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

Looks great, but its a little tough to see. Could you move that craft paper and the rifle out of the shot? ;)

#3 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

You meam there is a rifle? It must be very well camoed cause I can't see the rifle...

#4 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Cool stick! Let us know how it shoots.
It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With

#5 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

Very nice, Dave!

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

DD nice work neighbor. I've been eyeballing those Mosin Nagants with the idea of sporterizing one myself. I'm curious, what scope mount base did you use? And did what kind of bent bolt are you using, one of the russian ones or an after market? I'm presently in the process of sporterizing two of the old Yugo Mauser M24/47's.Mc

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.I used the ATI scope base and bolt-on handle. Dont know if I like the bolt-on handle. I will probably make my own and weld it on later down the road, but this was quick to do.
Hic Ego Statio

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

I love messing around with milsurp rifles. Here is a Mauser action that I turned into a sporter. I sent the action to E.R. Shaw and had a fluted stainless barrel fitted. Added a custom stock and here she is. By the way...if anybody is interested in that Millett TRS scope, I'll make you a great deal. I'd like to replace it with a Hawke.Attached File  1.jpg   7.35KB   11 downloads
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#9 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

There were pictures of a rifle? Huh miss it.jk sweet looking conversion!
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

Very nice
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#11 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

Looks great, but its a little tough to see. Could you move that craft paper and the rifle out of the shot? :yikes[1]:

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

That came out nice. I have been thinking of getting one and putting an after market stock on it.How did you attach the grip handle to it?

#13 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

How does it shoot ? how is the accuracy ? thanks for info.
Shoot to Kill not to wound !

#14 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

That came out nice. I have been thinking of getting one and putting an after market stock on it.How did you attach the grip handle to it?

There is a 1/4 Lag-bolt going through the grip, up into the stock. Then I used resin to "glue" it and shaped the resin to blend it all together so it looks like all 1 piece. You can kinda see it in the Pic I posted
Hic Ego Statio

#15 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

Mine gets out of jail on the 7th. Havent decided what to do with it yet (as far as mods go), definately going with the bolt mod for a scope though. Yours looks great.
Ne Desit Virtus

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

What if you cut down the barrel by 10 iches that would be a nice carbine.Have you shot it yet.

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

For all the Purist guys that hate when people cut up mil-surp rifles, here you go.

Those guys don't get pissed when a mosi gets cut up, just Mausers and Springfields. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#18 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Bringing this one back up cuz I made some changes/updates to mine. Made a new Rail, Mounted a USO scope in Badger Rings, Raised cheek piece, Removed rear sight lug, Epoxy bedded with pillars, Re-painted.Posted ImagePosted Image
Hic Ego Statio

#19 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

That looks cool. How does it shoot??

#20 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Have you shot it yet? I had a mosin nagat I traded it in :/. Wish I would have kept it. Maybe one day I'll get another one.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#21 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:56 AM

Very nice Dave, did you bend the bolt your self or did you buy it like that, or even have it sent out and bent? A work buddy that I got into shooting/hunting is wanting to have his bolt for his mosin shipped out and bent. Says it is going to cost him, well, I forgot what he said it was going to cost now lol
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#22 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Wife said I can buy 3 of them and do what I want :) oh yeah baby.

1 for parts
1 to keep as is (with the ww2 pu scope)
1 for my project rifle. I'm not sure how I want to do it though. I just know I want a new stock, and all of it tan with some form of DIY camo paint and a scope mount.

My question is this, do I want the hex receiver or round? I known I want the bent bolt, but what I dont want is to mount the scope so forward on the barrel, I want it mounted above the bolt so it looks like a modern rifle build. And I was thinking of bedding the stock, but I've never went forward with this plan. I think I might with this if the accuracy isn't what I was hoping for. I'm gonna drop a timney trigger in it too. Any tips on how to spot a good mosin nagant by looks? And how do we remove the cosmaline and what exactly is it?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#23 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

Wow Dave nice job on the Mosin. Funny I am looking for a couple Mosin's right now and yours inspired me on the possibilities. Of course I'm no gunsmith but little by little it could be a great project. Now the big question is how does it shoot? Also did you look at the bore before purchasing your mosin. I hear that the tula is known for having better quality than the Izhevsk arsenal, but again I don't have much knowledge with them. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users