7 replies to this topic

#1 LASC

LASC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

I was at big5 today, and saw a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U for $489. The gun handled really well, and I liked its look. I want to get it for my Dad as a gift, because he always wanted a double barrel. The price fits in my budget nicely. Do you guys have any thoughts on this gun? I was trying to figure out the choke, but the guy there had no idea. Thanks in advance!

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

Mossburg makes a decent shot gun. What type of game does your dad go after?Jason

#3 LASC

LASC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:16 PM

Mainly uplands, pheasants, birds, etc. He rarely hunts, but he just wants a double barrel. Out of selfishness, im thinking i can also loan this gun from him when hes not using it. :angry:

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:49 PM

Well that shotgun will definitely do it. You may want to consider who you are buying it for even though your secondary motivation is to borrow it occassionally. Is your dad more or less likely to shoot this shotgun? What kind of shape is your dad in? If he is getting older the lighter recoil of a 20 gage or even 28 gage might be easier on his body. I think the one at Big 5 is a 12 gage. The heavier recoil may be fine for someone who is young but someone who is more seasoned may prefer a lighter recoil. I prefer the 20 gage because of the lighter recoil and I'm only in my 30s. I just don't like the slap to the shoulder of a 12 gage like when I was in my teens. My brother in law just picked up a 7MM WSSM. He's in his mid 20s. I shot that thing twice and handed it back to him. I've moved beyond that high horsepower shooting. My dad who is in his late 50s prefers 20 gage or even his 410 because it is easier on his body especially when shooting doves or quail where the action can get pretty intense at times. It also makes shooting clay targets easier. You don't start flinching after each shot. Just some food for thought when choosing a shotgun for your dad. A 20 gage with the right shot size will do fine on pheasant. If he is a duck, geese, or turkey shooter then the bigger gun is a must.Better yet, just send me the money and I will buy it for you!!!! LOL!JasonJason

#5 LASC

LASC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

Better yet, just send me the money and I will buy it for you!!!! LOL!

Haha, sure, I'll send u $10, and u cover the rest? :angry: Thanks alot for the advice. I think he's in shape to handle a 12ga. But, I'll talk to him about it.

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

LASC I agree with Jason on the recoil. Anymore the only time I shoot a 12 ga. is waterfowl and in S. Dakota for pheasant. (the outfitter wants us to use 12 ga.) I used to shoot a 12 ga. O/U but don't anymore due to the recoil, I prefer the softest kicking autoloader I can find. Even a 20 ga. O/U with heavy loads will kick more than the new reduced recoil 12 ga. autos. I've got a Beretta 20 ga. auto that is a joy to carry and has a really light recoil that I use for everything from planted pheasants to dove and I'll occasionally take it to the duck blind with me when the teal are in, I've shot 4000 rounds with it in 3 days dove hunting with no shoulder problems. Sometimes it's nice to try before you buy. Walking alot of miles with a big heavy 12 ga. O/U is not fun when you get old like me. A pound or two makes alot of difference. I have 12 ga. O/U, S/S, and 20 ga.,28 ga. and 410 O/U's you could try if you are around Modesto. The 28 ga. is a deadly cartridge and oft times overlooked. JMHO
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 LASC

LASC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

I have 12 ga. O/U, S/S, and 20 ga.,28 ga. and 410 O/U's you could try if you are around Modesto. The 28 ga. is a deadly cartridge and oft times overlooked. JMHO

Thats alot of shotguns! :angry: Thank you for the info.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hey Dale you took the words out of my mouth I shoot a 12 391 Beretta auto and a went out and bought a cheap o/u in a 20 it kicks harder then the 12 lol.............. I know someone that has the moss o/u and he likes it. the last time I shot a o/u in a 12 it was a browning 525 it hit me in my face the bone that you lay against the stock.That hurt..... :angry: It rattled my brain.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users