• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Discovery channel7pm Our time...Im hoping it shows taxidermy in a good light... we shall see... Its gonna show 3 taxidermy families, and I guess how they mount an alligator, african lion, domestic cat and something else I forgot..I cant say if it will be a good show but Im really hoping it shows people what we have to do to recreate the beauty of the animal.... and not some chainsaw massacre creep show... FIgured maybe some of you guys might want to watch it too :sport037fn4:
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#2 B-ZONE

B-ZONE

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

cool...maybe I'll watch it..

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Yep, already had it plugged in to watch that one. Thanks for mentioning it though.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

On Comcast this comes on at 10:00 PM

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

On Dish, it comes on at 7 and again at 10. I just watched Swamp People. It also comes on again at 8 and 10.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

Watching it right now and I like it! Never heard of a swamp booger mount before - hilarious! :sport037fn4:

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

I LOVED IT.... saw it from 7-8 PM tonightOf course I do not know the technical "stuff" of how they are "supposed" to be made, but all if it looked GREAT to me. Plus the fact of even having a taxidermy show on TV in CALIF, is really awesome. Hopefully the PETA folks choked on their food tonight.I loved the 16 yr old GIRL slaying that buck and showing her excitement & passion for the sport and the deer mount itself. Words cannot describe it. The taxidermists themselves, also really made the show. A great group of people; all from the South btw.A BIG THUMBS UP :sport037fn4: Frank

#8 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

I'm watching the new Swamp People right now, and there was a commercial for yet another taxidermy show called Mounted in Alaska. It's on History Channel and premiers Thursday April 7th.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#9 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

I was suprised that someone would bring in an animal and ask for it in just a few days. I didn't think that it could be done that fast.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, I was very surprised & puzzled by that also. I did not think that was possible. So, I am either missing something or the show should have explained how they can do that so fast.

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

Haven't you guys noticed all these fake time lines they do it to make a show just watch sons of guns.Do you want to know how they can do it that fast it's called editing . ;) I missed that new show.

#12 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

I'm dying to hear from CoyoteHuntress!
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#13 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

ROFLMAO Ohh I sooo loved that 3 day turn around on the bear/wolverine mount... Let me just say YA RIGHT... You cant even tan the skins, order forms and get them shipped (shipping tim alone is 7 to 10 days!!) AND finish it in 3 days total... BS..... Even with tanned skins...The dry time would be at least 3 weeks MINIMUM... So called crank the heater method is stupid... and you cant dry a mount like that over night even with the heat blasting, the skin and all the clay is just too thick... Notice all that hair slippage?? Im dying to know what tan or preserving method was used... I can tell you EVERYONE of us Taxis all were discussing the 3 day slam.. and cringing at the thought of our clients calling up wanting to know why we take longer LOL.... Needless to say over all the show wasnt too bad... Hated the cat, didnt care for the elephant, but the lion was pretty nice. The Bear wasnt bad but of them all I liked the wolverine... Gorgeous... Now obviously 3 days turn around is insane.. NOt to mention I have to wonder what his clients thought that had their stuff in before him... nothing like pushing clients out of line...A friend of mine commented that based on that show his full freezer should be completed by end of the weekend LOL Maybe TV crew grants super powers? The older guy I liked... the other two guys seemed to yell way to much... Over all at least the portrayed Taxidermist in a more realistic view except for that magical warp speed 3 day thing... WIsh they had showed more on the gator.. Mouth work I didnt care for... but a nice over all mount.. and I didnt care for the duck position... should have been on a reed i front of the mouth not in it.. Least that is what Id have done.. I hope they show this in a series if they tone down that warp speed turn around to more realistic time frame it looks like a good show ;)
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#14 Canis mortuus

Canis mortuus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting - All types - Mostly duck
    Fishing - All types - Mostly Saltwater
    Photography

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:26 AM

I was suprised that someone would bring in an animal and ask for it in just a few days. I didn't think that it could be done that fast.

Just like all the other "reality" shows on TV. They have these "deadlines" for drama. That way the announcer can say "Will they make the deadline. Find out after this." then cut to a commercial. In real life if you or I take something in for taxidermy, to have a custom motorcycle made, to restore an antique car or any other such custom work you and I will get... "It'll be ready in 3 to 6 months, we'll call you."
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3Arise - Kill - Eat ACTS 10:13

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

Do you want to know how they can do it that fast it's called editing .

BINGO ! Shoot-it just nailed it. lolBesides the older couple, my overall favorite is still the fact of just putting something like this on TV. Man, as a sportsman, ya just gotta LOVE IT!... Plus, sorta shoving it right down PETA's throat.Frank

#16 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:42 AM

Today 06:17 AM #16GPBCRANE * View Profile * View Forum PostsGPBCRANE is offline Registered UserJoin Date Apr 2011Posts 5

Quote Originally Posted by PSE'n in ND View Post Any taxidermists on here? I might be wrong but doesnt most big game animals need more than 5 days to properly dry? One guy said he needed the animal back within a week.

Hey guys! Glad you liked the show. This is Chris Crane from Crane's Taxidermy. In reference to your question yes it does take a lot longer to actually mount and finish these animals. We mounted that gator in about 3 days, but we had to go back a couple weeks later to redo it because it didn't have enough time to dry. So most of these mounts probably had to be redone after the show.

Today 06:18 AM #17GPBCRANE * View Profile * View Forum PostsGPBCRANE is offline Registered UserJoin Date Apr 2011Posts 5

Quote Originally Posted by ILLbucknut View Post I thought the gator was awsome, the duck was the iceing on the cake.

Thanks a lot! I wish they would have actually shown how we mounted it. They seemed to be more concerned with us having some drama than showing the steps it takes to make a nice mount. Either way I think the show turned out pretty good.

#GPBCRANE * View Profile * View Forum PostsGPBCRANE is offline Registered UserJoin Date Apr 2011Posts 5 Well let me explain a little better. We had to paint the entire alligator before the skin was completely dry due to the filming schedule. Doing so makes the paint flake off over time. So a couple weeks later, after the filming had stopped we had to repaint the entire thing. The mount didn't have to be redone, just the paint. As for preparing the hides it really doesn't take very long. You have to flesh them, preserve them and they are basically ready to go. As for the drama at our shop, that is very rare. We hammed it up for the camera. The "wrong form" I cut was planned by me. It was a throw away form we weren't gonna use anyways. My brother and I get a long great. As a matter of fact I can not remember even getting into an argument with him, ever. We filmed for 48 hours and they only focused on him and yelling at each other. Reply With Quote Reply With Quote#Today 06:47 AM #24GPBCRANE * View Profile * View Forum PostsGPBCRANE is offline Registered UserJoin Date Apr 2011Posts 5 Quote Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post id think as fast as you can get it to a tannery and back... 2 - 3 days The tanning process can take a little while. Certain animal hides need to be tanned, some can be prepared in house. Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

There ya go..... From the same guy doing the 3 day slams...

#17 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

I'm watching the new Swamp People right now, and there was a commercial for yet another taxidermy show called Mounted in Alaska. It's on History Channel and premiers Thursday April 7th.

I just paid $9.95 to find out that " Mounted in Arkansas" is not a taxidermy show. ;)
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#18 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

;) Yeah, maybe not, but did you learn anything you can share here?
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#19 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

I'm sure there was a line in that one - "You sure got a purdy mouth!" ;) No wait - Burt Reynolds already did that one... ;)

#20 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

I was waiting for what CoyoteHuntress would say also...I had the same concerns as she did about all the mounts.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

I have a skunk I'd like to have mounted by this coming Monday. I'll bring it to you this weekend okay Rae? :1106: :bleh[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#22 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

I have a skunk I'd like to have mounted by this coming Monday. I'll bring it to you this weekend okay Rae? :1106: :bleh[1]:

ROFLMAO Ya Ill get right on that..... You dont mind if it smells life like right??

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

:bleh[1]: I don't want a freezer mount. When they thaw they lose their shape.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users