12 replies to this topic

#1 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

Are trail cam's programmable so the will only take pic's during a window of time, say from 5pm - 5am? The reason I ask is that the area is heavily trafficked during daytime w/ cattle and I don't need a memory card full of heifers.

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

All of the cameras I have seen take pics 24/7.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

The few I have start taking pictures the minute you turn them on.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

None that I know of...
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#5 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

Are trail cam's programmable so the will only take pic's during a window of time, say from 5pm - 5am? The reason I ask is that the area is heavily trafficked during daytime w/ cattle and I don't need a memory card full of heifers.

Are you using the largest memory card possible in your camera?I do know what you are getting at by not wanting cattle pictures. We just got three Trail cameras and the first time we set them out one of the cameras took around 530 pictures. Thirty to forty of the pictures were not cattle pictures, I just deleted all of the unwanted cattle pictures. But we did get some bobcat, deer and bear pictures on that same camera.With a 8GB memory card our Bushnell Cameras will take over 7000 pictures. How many pictures will your memory card hold?
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

I haven't made the purchase yet. I was hoping to find one with a timer but that's out. I did look at Bushnell Trail Cam as a good choice tho'.I came across this site too. They look to be the AllPredatorCalls of trail cams. The $99. Walmart special is appealing in it own way.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

That Walmart camera is pretty cheap for an IR camera. I just bought a few Bushnell Trophy Cam Bone Collector models. I sure like the viewing screen on them. Plus the run for it says a year on a set of batteries though I sure that depends on pictures and flash use. But the best part about them is they are IR and with 32 IR LED's and it fits in the palm of your hand. My old Moultrie weighed a ton with 6 D cell batteries in it and this uses 8 AA's. So far the picture quality is excellent and the flash isn't visible or noticeable like my old one. I think these are a winner and being camoed aren't really noticeable. I paid $179 apiece for them and $7.98 shipping. I thought it was a good deal.

Time waits for no one--

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

John, I was looking at the Bone Collector, can you post a pic or 2, daytime and night. Thx!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

I've got some daytime shots of my chickens but I think I've killed every vermin that prowled my yard at night. Four nights in different locations and nothing. <maybe I'll sneak out and see if it can catch me.

Time waits for no one--

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

That would be good to see if they work at night, but please, dont' POST those pictures. That may be more than some of the folks on here can handle. :signlol2iu:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

I've gone out on the quad at night a few different times and jumped in front of our camera wearing twigs and branches. My buddy has yet to tell me he sees anything "weird" when he reviews the camera.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Rent a "Bigfoot" costume and see if he notices.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#13 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

John, I was looking at the Bone Collector, can you post a pic or 2, daytime and night. Thx!

My son Wes and I just got 3 Bushnell Trail Cameras, one is the Bone Collector and the other two are Trophy XLT's.I just went and picked up our 3 cameras yesterday. They were out set up for 10 days. We got right at 3700 pictures and 3650 of those were cattle pictures.Some of the night pictures we have got are blurry because the animal is moving. After setting them out 3 different times I decided to read the directions. We had them set on 8M, I just reset them all to 3M to see if that clears up the night pictures. Some of the pictures just before dark and just before daylight look pretty cool. They look like old time black and white photos.Here are few few pictures taken with our Bushnell Trail Cams.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users