20 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

So today I made the drive up to a local bow shop to go spend some $$$. I have a zero balance on the credit card and figured what the hay, I will go buy a bow! I walk into the bow shop and lay it out... I am new to bow hunting and am going to need some advice. I said I'd like to get measured for a bow and ask a whole bunch of questions. He handed me a left handed bow and told me to pull on it. I didn't think that was how you got measured up but he was the pro, so I did it. The bow he handed me was a low end model and didn't have some of the features that the newer ones had so we wandered down to check out the top end models and compare. Although they were right handed he had me shoot them to see the difference in how they shot. Big difference! I didn't tell the man, but I had decided to buy one of those new Switch Back's by Mathews. I pointed to the left hand bow that I had shot and had felt good in my hands. It read "29" for the draw length and I asked him if that was right and if my draw length was 29. Well, here's where things went down hill. He told me he wouldn't tell me. He says "you guys" come in here to get measured and then go some where else to buy your bows.I left and won't be going back there to spend any money any time soon!

#2 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

You know you love your sport and your all excited to buy something new and give it a try and all you want is some freindly advice and a few tips and theres always an rear facing circular aperture across the counter with an attitude it happens alot to me to. :signs1111cr:

#3 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

With his attitude,he's right: go somewhere else.No wonder he looses cutomers.Not a way to run a business.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

Ha! I showed him!! :signs1111cr: I found and bought a Mathews Legacy today. :lol:

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

way to go SBF! you should take it down over to that store and say, "ya know. you're right...I did go some place else!"

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

I'm glad you got what you wanted. I see the sales persons point to an extent. But if he had any amount of salesmanship he would have been the guy selling you the bow. I had a friend who owned a shop that sold metal detectors and he used to get that way toward customers. I loved metal detecting and would spend the time with the new customers that came in all excited about a new hobby. I would outsell my friend ten to one because I wasn't burned out on the business like he was. Even though he couldn't sell the equipment for as cheap as the mail order wholesalers we sold lots of detectors. People like the fact you know what you're selling and you show some interest in your products. It sounds like that guy needs a new line of work or to get out of sales. If he was the owner there's not much that can be done. But if he was an employee I'm sure the owner would appreciate a call letting him know you got chased off and had to buy somewhere else.Congratulations on the new bow.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

Seems like alot of old archery shop guys are like that. I got my bow as a christmas present a few years ago and I had to get it set up so I went to an archery shop in stockton (can't remember what it was called). The guy acted like he was being put out because I didn't buy the bow from him even though I was spending around four hundred dollard at his shop for all of the add-ons, shafts, release, and his labor. As I left he told me that the next time I should buy a bow from him.......I don't think so.

#8 HunterJon81

HunterJon81

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

It does seem like they all try to suggest THEIR BOWS and not provide any help, not realizing if they are respectful to outside customers we will probly go back to their shop and spend even more money on parts, service, ext. And they will gain a LASTING customer!

#9 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:16 AM

Hopefully, but I seriously doubt it.. He took his chin check and will be a better shop owner after that. I'm glad you you went some where else! How do you like that new bow? I bought the Drenilyn and I love it. First bow that I have owned that is not a Hoyt! Welcome to great sport of fast fly archery! I hope you enjoy it!

#10 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:19 PM

Seems like alot of old archery shop guys are like that. I got my bow as a christmas present a few years ago and I had to get it set up so I went to an archery shop in stockton (can't remember what it was called). The guy acted like he was being put out because I didn't buy the bow from him even though I was spending around four hundred dollard at his shop for all of the add-ons, shafts, release, and his labor. As I left he told me that the next time I should buy a bow from him.......I don't think so.

That's Jerry. I'm telling you guy's, you gotta go to Golden arrow in oakdale. they have great service and Chris is a real nice guy that won't steer you wrong. He's real knowledgeable. That's great that you got your new bow, it would have been even greater if you would have bought a Bowtech! :D No, just kiddin. I hate to say it but Mathews makes a good bow too. Hope you like the sport!

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

That guy is a IDIOT of course you need to be measured how are you supposed to get the right one. I measured my self had my wife help me with the wingspans test open your arms up lay against a wall and measure from tip to tip then multiply by 2.5. Can I call that shop and give him a piece of my mind LOL one time when I was younger I walked into a archery shop in MO town . I looked at their prices than I told them if they could beat the price from cabelas LOL he chewed me out I didn't know better at the time its funny now.

#12 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

measure from tip to tip then multiply by 2.5. [/quote]Could you have meant divide by 2.5?

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:49 AM

measure from tip to tip then multiply by 2.5. Could you have meant divide by 2.5?

Yes thats what I meant .

#14 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:06 AM

I'm kinda tall, but I didn't think I could draw a 185 inch arrow. :smiley-sorry:

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

:smiley-sorry: :yikes[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

#16 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

That measurement is just a rule of thumb. Actual draw length would vary depending on your anchor point. If you shoot with a release it would be entirely different.

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

and if you use a loop on your bow string you can get by with a shorter draw bow.

#18 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

I'm kinda tall, but I didn't think I could draw a 185 inch arrow. :harhar1[1]:

I think that would be called a "spear throwing device"! :harhar1[1]:

#19 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

I have fairly long arms for a short guy and I shoot a release but my draw length is still 29". I just have an anchor point that is way back behind my jaw. It all depends on where you feel comfortable.

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

I have fairly long arms for a short guy

Those would be called monkey arms. If your knuckles drag on the ground they'd be chimpanzee arms. :signs1180lq:

#21 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

I have a bow that was given to me and purchased a drop from Cabela's. I took it in to my local bow shop to have them tune it after I did the install. They did a totally crappy job. Everything they touched was bungled. The rest was loose, the peep came apart and the rest trigger had string hanging out. I went to Sportsmans Warehouse in Rockling and they were knowledgable and had a great selelction. Even if I had to drive the 2.5 hours it would be worth it. I want to be able to rely on the people who are supposed to know the details. I can pull it back and hit what I'm aiming at, if it is tuned right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users