Photo

Using my Mathews to poke fun at squirrels...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 St8shooter

St8shooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

Anyone else out there using their bows to shoot ground squirrels? Its been a good twenty years since I last bowhunted and the equipment today is pretty cool. We do quite a bit of squirrel shooting with our .223's and 22's but I get a real kick out of using my bow on the little varmints. Great practice for big game hunting. Anyway, a few weeks ago I went up into the hills in the oaks and had a great time. I would walk slow amoung the open areas with both live and dead fall trees and ended up with fifteen dead squirrels by the time I was done. Those judo points are great and prevent arrow loss but its a messy business when you smack 'em. I keep some Wet Ones cloths to clean up the gore on the arrows. When I didn't have a pass through, a couple squirrels made a real effort drag the arrow down a hole with them. I ended up losing one when the little critter made his way into a large dead and hollow oak tree. Oh well, I'll get back there sometime with my saw and retrieve my arrow. The G5 Small Game Heads fly real nice to with good results. I would enjoy hearing about any others who like the bow!

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Once I pinned a ground squirrel to a wooden post with a judo point. I pretty much missed him but the tip planted itself into the wood and one of the spring wire prongs had his front wrist firmly trapped againced the post. :signbummer8tl: I told him that it was his lucky day and let the little bugger go. I don't varmint hunt with my bow much anymore though because the cost of those cracked and lost arrows add up quick.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

That, and it's probably not a good idea to be touching those nasty little critters either. I heard catching the plague really sucks.

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

A friend of mine had a 65lbs draw compound with overdraw that he would use on squirrels. The arrows were like darts. It was pretty amazing to watch. I preferred to shoot marmots with the bow. I little bigger and a bit smarter. Varmints are a great way to test your bow skills.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,154 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

I took an archery class as a physical education class in college. I asked if we could bring our own equipment and was told yes. So the first day we're out and everyone is getting used to their new bows I get some smart a$$ giving me a ration of you know what. Bow sights were pretty new back then and he was making disparaging remarks about me thinking I was Robin Hood with my fancy smancy bow and all. Well about that time a ground squirrel stuck it's head up out of ground about 25 yards away. It was an easy shot and I took it. The problem was it went half way through the squirrel and it starting a death scream while trying to escape down its hole. Unfortunately that happened to be the same moment the instructor showed up. :roflmao3[1]: This squirrel would not shut up and die. So I did the only humane thing I could think of to shut it up and stomped on it. :signbummer8tl: You should of heard the girls in the group. :653: To make a long story short. I shut up my critic and told him he'd be next, but I got kicked out of class for the remainder of the semester until finals. The instructor was upset to say the least.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

I read that here before shooter I enjoy reading it again very funny :signs1180lq: I bet the girls were impressed to :signs165xk:

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

I took an archery class as a physical education class in college. I asked if we could bring our own equipment and was told yes. So the first day we're out and everyone is getting used to their new bows I get some smart a$$ giving me a ration of you know what. Bow sights were pretty new back then and he was making disparaging remarks about me thinking I was Robin Hood with my fancy smancy bow and all. Well about that time a ground squirrel stuck it's head up out of ground about 25 yards away. It was an easy shot and I took it. The problem was it went half way through the squirrel and it starting a death scream while trying to escape down its hole. Unfortunately that happened to be the same moment the instructor showed up. :D This squirrel would not shut up and die. So I did the only humane thing I could think of to shut it up and stomped on it. :signs165xk: You should of heard the girls in the group. :signs165xk: To make a long story short. I shut up my critic and told him he'd be next, but I got kicked out of class for the remainder of the semester until finals. The instructor was upset to say the least.

:signs1180lq: Bet it was hard to get a date at college after that!!! I wish I had been there to see that!When I was in Boyscouts I decided to finally complete the Archery Merit Badge Requirements at scout camp. I tried getting the counsellor to let me use my Bear compound bow but after watching us shoot he didn't think it was fair to the other scouts so I had to use the camp recurves. Nailed the score on the first round. They decided to have a contest between the patrols for the camp competition. One patrol had this Asian kid they practically carried in. He was their ringer. They were cheering him on. Once again, had to use the camp bows. Put one right in the center on the first shot. They got real quiet after that. Got a lot of dirty looks from the scouts not in our patrol. The beauty of archery is that after you practice for a while you can really do some impressive stuff that some would think was impossible. Anyone ever try quail archery season?

#8 NateSmith

NateSmith

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:14 AM

I'd kinda like to shoot some squirrels with my Matthews. That'd be AWESOME to watch 'em get pinned.

#9 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

I shoot squirrels whenever I get the chance. I did pin one to the ground last year while camping. All I had was a head to shoot at that was just above the hole. I shot him straight through his muzzle, and the arrow stuck to the dirt mound behind him. Had to drop a rock on him to get him to die. Another one I stuck straight though the midsection. He couldn't figure out why he kept getting stuck when he'd try to get into his hole. :signs1180lq: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users