#1 rollinstone

rollinstone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Love to hunt period.. Enjoy target shooting <br />

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi everyone.. I am going to sell my big chevy blazer.. I need something smaller.I am looking at maybe a jeep liberty. I sold my 82 toyota a couple years ago. My wife said either the chevy or the toyota needed to go. I really miss my toyota. My chevy is a 89 and I want something newer.Jeep jeep is a little out of my price range. I also need something big enough for gear but small enough for trailsThe liberty from what I can find can only get lifted 2.5in.It is really a tough decision on a good 4x4. So how about the liberty.. opinions anyone.thank you

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

Jeep cherokee is the best bang for your buck, I guess it all depends on what your buget is and what you are willing to put into you vehicle.

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

Jeep has some of the lowest customer satisfaction levels of any maker. I believe that the Liberty was the worst of the Jeeps also.

#4 kzink

kzink

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

i work at a jeep dealership and they are good vehicles that it what replaced the cherokee in 2001. a lot will be based upon which body style you get 2001-2007 or 2008-now and which 4wheel drive system you get. in the new lineup id personally say its the second most capable vehicle in the jeep line up behind the wrangler.

#5 rollinstone

rollinstone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for your opinion. I am now looking at a cherokee 96. Can't decide.. I would like something small and capable for light trail.. NO, I can't get a new liberty Maybe an 06,07. I don't want to but a lot of money into a rig. I do know I will need at least a mild lift. thanks again.

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

You can do a whole lot of travel off road without any lift. Save your money for now and get a better rig and then, later if you think you need it, you can get a lift.

#7 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Stay away from the Jeep products, nothing but headaches. I down sized a few years ago and bought a Ford Escape, and can tell you it has been trouble free and fun to drive. I made my decision because I can fit my dog kennel lengthwise in the back. When I was with the Fire Dept I took it out on snow days because the traction was so good I didn't have to chain up and could go anywhere with it. When it snows I park my pickups and drive the Escape.

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Why don't we take our vehicles out for a test and play follow the leader. I don't think your escape would stand a chance against any jeep, thats just my opinion and we all know what they say about those.

#9 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

Amen Jawbreaker! I've had many years behind many off road vehicles and there is no substitute for the toughest 4 letter word in the dirt, "JEEP". I've yet to meet any Ford, Dodge or Chevy owners willing to follow me on a trail. One look at the skid plates on my Jeep and most of them turn and pick an easier trail. People who say "they're junk, they break down all the time, they get lousy mileage etc..." don't know what that jeep has been thru. Put your Ford, Toyota or whatever thru the same life a jeep lives and I guarantee you'd be saying "my Ford, Toyota or whatever is junk, breaks down all the time, gets lousy mileage" a hell of alot more that they do about jeeps. Like Jawbreaker said, lets get them out and play follow the leader. In fact, I'll reserve the Pinion Mountain trail for you come play in! PS. No full size rigs on the Pinion Mountain trail as there is an area called "the squeeze". If a full size vehicle makes it to this area-it must go thru because there is not backing out!

#10 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Before you buy rent one from hertz. I have had a lot of fun in the liberty, granted it isn't too capable on hard core trails. $89 a day.

#11 wgscpd

wgscpd

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Jeep has some of the lowest customer satisfaction levels of any maker. I believe that the Liberty was the worst of the Jeeps also.

Fjord,I think that you may be lumping Jeep in with Chrysler products in general as far as customer satisfaction. Though Jeep is owned by Chrysler it used to have its own persona and usually did not share powertrain parts with Dodge and Chrysler untill early 2000's on forward. My 05 Wrangler still runs the 4.0 that is a cousin to the 4.2 straight six that has been in jeeps since the 70's. And as far as Jeeps being headaches as Hipshot suggested, I have had far more problems with my previous Chevy, and Current Honda van than any of my Jeep products. It goes to show that sometimes its just a poop shoot on how reliable your vehicle will be. And I personally would not try taking an Escape to the areas I hunt. Not necessarily because of reliability but because it could not physically make it without becoming so beat and or broken that it would have to leave at the end of a strap and a flat bed truck but depending on where you go, that may never become and issue. In my experience (I currently own a pre Chrysler built CJ5 rockcrawler, an 05 Rubicon Unlimited and a 99 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins tow rig) and have owned or built several other Jeeps including two of the old square Cherokee and another CJ, they are very reliable and though they can get poor gas mileage, the 4.0 is dead simple and reliable (no drive by wire, traction control, multi cylinder deactivation mumbo jumbo). I cant comment on the Liberty's reliability since it is more "Chryslerized" with IFS, the Chrysler v-6 etc and I have never owned one because of that. I think many people have the idea that you need a 35" tired and locked rock crawler for a hunting rig. You are going to have to ask yourself what kind of roads/ trails YOU are going to hunt and if you are going to be alone before you can decide if a Libery is enough Jeep for you. There used to be a time that I thought like that. My family spent every other weekend on the Rubicon during the summer for several years with our club. All of our vehicles were Rubicon ready and even the wifes grocery getter had been across the Con and Fordice a few times.Fast forward a few years and though I still have the CJ and my Rubicon, I have found that sometimes a more street friendly rig is more comfortable to hunt out of especially if you have to drive any distance to the area. However, if you are venturing out into no where by yourself and like to get back into areas where people aren't, then I would want a more built "self sufficient" rig. The Liberty probably isn't and cant be made into (Unless you own a fab shop and then you would not be asking this question) a true expedition style wheeler. I too have found the small early Cherokee's to be reliable as long as you find an early 90's 4.0 FI on up through 97. The Dana 35 rear axle assembly is the weak link and can leave you stranded. You can fix that by finding one with the rare Dana 44 or get a later one with the Chrysler 8.25. Wranglers are very nimble but have almost no room. Even my Unlimited is real tight.So the short version is, yes I would use a Liberty but I would not venture far off the dirt roads or into the deep sand or snow by myself. Its all about where you plan on hunting and what kind of hunting you are going to do. There is a trade off with everything. Sometimes a happy medium is the best answer....Of course when you are stuck by yourself and its getting dark, then a happy medium sucks. So I guess that's why I still hunt in Lifted and Locked Jeeps LOL. My three cents worth. The extra penny is for muddying the water :signlol2iu:

#12 teamhirev

teamhirev

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

I have owned many jeeps and all I can say is they are great and reliable. My current 95 wrangler has 184XXX miles and still running strong. These inline 6 engines are built tuff and can last you a life time if you properly maintain it. :good:. I would look into a cherokee with the 4.0 they are great 4x4 have enough room and can take a beating. Or get a wrangler and be happy for the rest of your life :signlol2iu:

#13 rollinstone

rollinstone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

I am grateful for the input on what 4x4 to get. All I know is that my full size blazer is just to big. I found some info on jeep liberty, it seems to do fine for some light off roading. Can but a roof rack and my hitch basket and have plenty room. I will find one for sale and test drive. I do like the cherokee. Price is another concideration along with condition. I have a bad back and will be doing more road hunting.. not the best term to use road hunting.. is it!!!

#14 bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hunting, shooting, optics, scuba, boating.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

I went through the same process a while ago. I finally decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler and be done with it. I found a 2006 Jeep TJ with low miles at a good price. No regrets. I put on a set of Goodrich A/Ts and the thing climbs steep trails like a tractor. My kids love it. My wife even likes to drive it.

#15 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

I heard the 2011 model out performed the 2010 4runner and that's saying something. Go for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users