• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

What is your favorite bullet, load, and powder for a 357 Magnum?
I just purchaced a .357 die set today, and I have never loaded up any .357 Magnum rounds yet.
I purchaced some 125 grain hornady bullets today, but I am starting to feel like that is a pretty light bullet.
I Guess that I will also need to purchace some different powders.
I guess I have to start somrwhere, so tell me what you like.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

140gr bullets of any kind with 15grs of 2400. Tends to work exceptionally well in both rifles and pistols for me. I tend to buy the Remington bulk 140gr SJHP's. Good stuff. They and the Leverevolution 140gr bullets shoot to the exact same POI for me :yahoo: . And they are both deadly on rabbits

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I like the 125gr Hornady bullet and for mag loads I use H-110. For mild loads I use Unique or the Hi-Skor 700X I have left from when I use to load shotgun shells in college. I use mag primers for all the loads.

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Doug,
I already have the Hornady 125 gr. The H-110 looks good.
Bob's 140 Gr look a little messy to me,
Or maybe he used Gallagers watermellon hammer on thoes rabbits.
Tom

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

Be sure to use a heavy crimp with H-110 and do not go below the start weight in the books.

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

I guess I have to ask what are you going to be shooting with the 357. most 38 special londs will work just fine for rabbits, plinking etc. Now if you are planning on shooting bears, then I may likethe 357. Be more specific in asking your questions so you cna get more specific answers. I rarly shoot 357. Have no need for it. My 158grain will do all i want it to do. with a lot less recoil and faster follow up shots too.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Doug,
I already have the Hornady 125 gr. The H-110 looks good.
Bob's 140 Gr look a little messy to me,
Or maybe he used Gallagers watermellon hammer on thoes rabbits.
Tom

You also have to take into account that the .357 out of a rifle is an entirely different beast! As you can see. I would have to agree with Braz about the specials, I use them even in my .44 about 95% of the time. Much more fun for sure.

If you are thinking about small game, like rabbits though, it is very tempting to use just plain old cheap lead SWC's in either .38 or .357, but I highly suggest otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I have shot a ton of them with that same setup, which is why I also know that a much better expanding bullet is a much better choice. I have seen many a rabbit with a hard cast lead slug go right through it only to have it run away like it was never touched and see my partner put it down at a long distance (for a shotgun) with only a couple small pellets of shot. After seeing this enough I have a whole new opinion on bullets that just pass through and those that tend to expand much more and either remain inside or create much wider wound channels. That is why I use the Remington bulk 140's, Hornady XTP's or Speer Gold Dots on rabbits. Well, that, and the fact that rabbits are my version of large ground squirrels that don't require lead-free bullets :yahoo:

#8 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

7.5 gr of unique under a 158 gr jacked bullet. Out of a 4" revolver it wasn't to snappy for a quick follow up shot,But it would get the job done! DR

#9 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

XTP and Gold Dot bullets are a jacketed LEAD bullet and NOT a lead free bullet. They cannot be used in a lead free zone. I wanted to point that out before someone tries it and runs-a-foul of the law.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

XTP and Gold Dot bullets are a jacketed LEAD bullet and NOT a lead free bullet. They cannot be used in a lead free zone. I wanted to point that out before someone tries it and runs-a-foul of the law.

Read the law before try and preach it please :doh[1]:

#11 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

When I had my Colt Python, I load it with 125 grain Hornady XTP and a Heavy dose of Hercules 2400. I'm still hoping to get that revolver back from a dear friend.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#12 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

Big heavy recoiling loads are usually not a lot of fun to shoot for any length of time. My full steam loads are usually with H110 or 2400.

For practice shooting and most everything else I usually will load up some 125 or 158gr whatevers over some Unique or Bullseye or HP38...or shoot some 38 specials. Lots of options.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#13 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

I've loaded with 2400 to shoot in my Python 6 inch and didn't care for it, too dirty, had unburned powder. I use cast bullets and unique, the powder is not position sensitive and with the small amount required a lb of powder goes a long way.

#14 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

I guess I have to ask what are you going to be shooting with the 357. most 38 special londs will work just fine for rabbits, plinking etc. Now if you are planning on shooting bears, then I may likethe 357. Be more specific in asking your questions so you cna get more specific answers. I rarly shoot 357. Have no need for it. My 158grain will do all i want it to do. with a lot less recoil and faster follow up shots too.

Braz,
I don't have anything peticular in mind to shoot,
Probally mostly paper, and a side arm to carry when in the woods.
I still have three boxes of .357 that Grant gave me to shoot up.
I almost never shoot in a lead free area, but if I do, I will make sure that I am lead free, and legal.
I see no reason to donate any of my retirement to dfg fines.
Tom

#15 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Both Bisley and I were right. He was talking about rabbits and I was thinking deer/pigs.

#16 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

2400 is a great powder in the .357....

For the past year I have been shooting the silhouette matches using a 158 grain snakebit bullet over 25 grains of 3f black powder in my Rossi 92.
You havent experienced fun until you have tried that!

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users