10 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

I am curious to hear how everyone here mounts a new scope to ensure your scope isn't canted.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

If my partner saw this, he would absolutely die laughing.... As for some reason, I can no longer get any of my scopes exactly straight any more... I've lost my touch... The older I get the worse I'm getting... And folks, I've mounted a bazzillion of them over the last 40 years. LOLIn fact, just last month I had my friend (a disgusting "perfectionist") mount my oldest son's scope due to not trusting myself. I don't mind mine being crooked, but not my kids. LOL It turned out perfect btw.Anyway, the answer to your question is, I DON'T, as I CAN'T, (ensure it).... Sorry :)p.s. I just cant the rifle when shooting it... LOL... (not really) Frank

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

I have a handful of small bubble levels that I use. They seem to cover any installation I've come across. First you level the gun or action then I clamp it in my gun vise and level the scope. I've done it so often it's really fast. I used to hate removing scopes but since getting my Leupold bore sighter it's a snap. You just make up the targets for each scope once it's sighted in. Then you can turn every adjustment knob or remove the scope and in a matter of seconds have it back to sighted. It is really nice for when you travel and you want to check your gun but don't have time or can't shoot it first.

#4 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

I start by using a 1" round steel bar to align the two rings. I use a Leupold one piece base and rings. When setting the scope I have just eyeballed the vertical rt. and left. There are leveling devices but haven?t needed one. When tightening the screws I get all four snug then tighten each screw 1 full turn then half and as needed from their until they are all tight. I use a Bushnell boresght to get the x-hairs close. From there I?ve always been on the paper at 100 yds. Just 0 it in.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

I pinned a string to the ceiling with a small weight on the end acting like a plumb bob. I used this to allign the vertical with the string ... so long as I had the the rifle lever in the vice it appeared to work well.

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:28 AM

I just do it by eye. Then I bore sight it by placing the gun on a sandbag pointed at a distant object. 100-300 yards is fine. Remove the bolt from the barrel. Look down the barrel and "aim" the barrel at the distant object. Now, without moving the barrel, look thru the scope. Without moving the barrel (firm sandbags help) adjust the crosshairs until they are on the same object you can see thru the barrel. Check it a few times. This almost always gets me on a sheet of paper at 100 yards the first try without having to try shooting at 50 yards first.

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

I just do it by eye. Then I bore sight it by placing the gun on a sandbag pointed at a distant object. 100-300 yards is fine. Remove the bolt from the barrel. Look down the barrel and "aim" the barrel at the distant object. Now, without moving the barrel, look thru the scope. Without moving the barrel (firm sandbags help) adjust the crosshairs until they are on the same object you can see thru the barrel. Check it a few times. This almost always gets me on a sheet of paper at 100 yards the first try without having to try shooting at 50 yards first.

Same here it works fine.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:06 AM

Thanks guys. But how do you make sure your cross hairs are perfectly horizontal and vertical and not canted any?

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:29 AM

I bore sight basically like Stiff Neck except I use a gun vise and I prefer doing it at night using a street lamp thats over 200 yards away. But it works the same in daylight, I have a white golf ball target 75 yards out back on the fence that works too. If I take my time and do it right I'm very seldom more than an inch at most off center at 100 yards. :)

#10 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:29 PM

I came across this great (and lengthy) article from Varmint Hunter magazine. Basically, you hang a plumb bob at 100 yards and line up your cross hairs to match the string. Here's the article:http://www.microleve...errors.html#vha

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

Thanks. That is basically what I do now, just not at 100 yards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users