Carp Shooting

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:21 PM

Well went and got my fishing lic. today and my wife said I could go out for a couple hours. Went out to the carp shooting ditch's kind of slow I was out there for almost 2 1/2 hours and only got five carp there weren't a whole lot of them on top I think the big females are making there nest in the mud at the bottom but I did manage to get a couple of the males and one female. But them small ones are a little harder to hit I missed a few well a lot :lol: but it was my first trip of the year a little rusty. Here are a couple of pics of the ones I shot and no I don't keep them they go on the bank.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

They look like babies! Nice shooting, though. Most guys I know who do that use recurves.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:53 PM

neat that is a kick in the pants to do. :angry:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:44 AM

thats cool I tried that a few years ago Its hard too hit them .Its a lot of fun you have any carp recipes.

#5 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

thats cool I tried that a few years ago Its hard too hit them .Its a lot of fun you have any carp recipes.

I don't eat those nasty things I just shoot them. Last year there were two guys fishing on the ditch and they asked if they could have them I said go for it I bet they put 10 or so in there ice chest everytime I would shoot one they would come running down the bank pretty funny.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:39 PM

Yes I know slayer i was joking .When i finally hit one it was a rush i didn't have a real good set up like yours.I just jumped into the shallow river and retrieved my arrow..........lol the river close by is real low during the summer you can walk across it.Its along private land I have a mile too myself you should drive down sometime and go with me . Now that I am thinking about it I am going too look in my cabelas for a bow fishing set up........... Johnny

#7 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:24 AM

Looks like a lot of fun!On land your coyoteslayer, on water its carpslayer! :D

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

Here's how we cooked them after they were cleaned. We'd take a take a meat cleaver and chop them every 4 inches or so. Then we'd take a sharp knife and make a vertical cut from the backbone to the tips of the ribs every 1/2" to 3/4" or so. Batter and then fry in a deep fat fryer. The slices every 1/2" to 3/4" would expose more flesh to the hot grease and actually cause all those litttle bones to disenegrate so all you had to do was pluck it and eat.Ever shoot any garr? Their scales are so hard you've got to stick them when they are going away so the arrow czn get in under the open side of the scale. If you shoot one coming at you it just deflects.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

Here's how we cooked them after they were cleaned. We'd take a take a meat cleaver and chop them every 4 inches or so. Then we'd take a sharp knife and make a vertical cut from the backbone to the tips of the ribs every 1/2" to 3/4" or so. Batter and then fry in a deep fat fryer. The slices every 1/2" to 3/4" would expose more flesh to the hot grease and actually cause all those litttle bones to disenegrate so all you had to do was pluck it and eat.Ever shoot any garr? Their scales are so hard you've got to stick them when they are going away so the arrow czn get in under the open side of the scale. If you shoot one coming at you it just deflects.

I've heard of people eating them but I've never tasted any of the ones I've shot. Don't tell me they're actually good to eat. After all I've eaten crow how much worse could a carp taste if prepared correctly. :D I've always wanted to shoot gar. We used to have a great setup for carp shooting with generator and lights and raised platforms. We have trash cans full of carp after an evening shoot. It is great fun that's for sure. :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

Well, I liked eating them any way. I cooked over 50 pounds of it at a party at my folks place before I joined the Navy. Of course, the beer that was being served may have had something to do with everyone's eating it!

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:19 AM

I'm sure it was good then. I may have to give it a go. :D

Time waits for no one--

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:20 AM

Do you have any lemon pepper? Great stuff!!

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:42 AM

Do you have any lemon pepper? Great stuff!!

Do I have any Lemon Pepper? :D Just ask my wife, it's my favorite thing for steaks and almost any other kind of meat. :o Costco has those King sized containers of it. :o

Time waits for no one--

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

I've got the same container. The same time I do fish I've got another burner going with potatoe slices going. I wash them potatoes and then slice them into pieces about 3/8" thick and dump them into the fryer until they all start to float. Set them on papertowels in a beer flat and add the lemon pepper. Great stuff !!

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:51 AM

I've got the same container. The same time I do fish I've got another burner going with potatoe slices going.

Hey, I do my sliced potatoes the same way and use the lemon pepper too! :o I thought I was the only one that did that and everybody loves my potatoes. :D When we go up to the houseboat everybody wants me to fix them for breakfast.

Time waits for no one--

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

Actually, the chinese eat a lot of carp. I have eaten it at large Chinese festivals in San Francisco. Mostly they steam it and it is really quite good. The trick is to cook it well enough so the meat falls away from the bones and then the bones are not a problem. But it is good fish.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

Hey, I do my sliced potatoes the same way and use the lemon pepper too! :o I thought I was the only one that did that and everybody loves my potatoes. :D When we go up to the houseboat everybody wants me to fix them for breakfast.

That's funny that we do them the same way. They are always a hit when I do them and I don't think I've ever had anyone tell me they didn't like them.Now I am hungry!

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:02 AM

Now I am hungry!

Me too! :D

Time waits for no one--

#19 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

I feel a cooking competition coming on.... Chef John and Chef Heath - Carp and Potatoes on the menu! :D

#20 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:00 PM

I'll get the carp and one tri-tip for me :D

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

I feel a cooking competition coming on.... Chef John and Chef Heath - Carp and Potatoes on the menu! :D

You're funny Joel! :o

I'll get the carp and one tri-tip for me :o

Looks like you threw away a perfectly good meal jeff. :lol:But I'll keep that tri-tip for you. :o

Time waits for no one--

#22 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

Is lemon pepper any good on coyote?

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:42 AM

I don't know, but why don't you try some and give us a report! :lol: :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#24 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

Here is the deal if we have our next club meeting a BB-Q. I will shoot some carp and at least two yotes to feed everyone plus my tri-tip. And everyone else brings all the beer I can drink. What do you think guys? :lol:

#25 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

As for the Asians eating carp i know that for a fact i caught a couple of guys one time netting the local canal.I asked what was he doing he said he had a commercial license and he sells the carp in San Fransicko for 3 dolors a pound WOW thats good money he had a least a few hundred fish In his truck. I still called the warden out and made him check them out.

#26 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:44 AM

Live carp(in aquariums) are all over Chinatown(S.F.) and other Asian grocery stores. I've never had carp, but it just doesn't sound too appetizing....Anyone ever try Tilapia? When fresh, its really good and has been getting a lot of exposure lately. First time I tried Tilapia was years ago, when we took a drive out to the Salton Sea to fish for Tilapia. They were all over the place, I can't even remember how many I reeled in that day.

#27 Ryan Woody

Ryan Woody

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:53 AM

I live about 1 hr away from the Salton Sea, I read in the newspaper last week that they are catching the Tilapia like crazy, some guy was fishing for them. I read that he fished for like 5 hrs. and he caught in the hundreds of Tilapia bigger then hand size. From what I understand they are really good eaten. I also know that catfish love to eat Tilapia, that is like their favorite food. Let me know if you have any questions on where to go, if you want to get into some. I'll try my best to help. :lol: Ryan

#28 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:25 AM

I'd love to make another trip out there, but it is quite a drive :lol: Last time I went, I would not doubt getting near triple digit catches as we were there from sun up to sun down to make our trip worth it. Thanks for the offer :)The water is so salty, my reel (that I abused that day) needed a thorough cleaning.

#29 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:26 AM

I will send you some of mine and then you can let us all know.

#30 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

Tilapia what do they look like I never seen one before..The best way too cook a carp is on a board of hickory the fish juices and the wood flavor mixes wow its sure smells good on the BBQ then when the fish is cooked throw the carp away and eat the board............. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users