• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:03 AM

Does anyone know if you can convert a two-wheel Toyota Highlander to 4-wheel drive? Does it cost more than the vehicle is worth to do it?Do you know of a place that does it in the Sacramento Region?db

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

The labor alone to do this project might make you choke. There is a lot involved... it might be easier to find a 4x4

#3 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

The labor alone to do this project might make you choke. There is a lot involved... it might be easier to find a 4x4

I was chatting with Shooter, and he suggested that they might make a slip-dif for the front two wheels. That is what I am really after anyway. The one wheel drive thing isn't the best for off road.db

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,582 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:30 PM

I was chatting with Shooter, and he suggested that they might make a slip-dif for the front two wheels. That is what I am really after anyway. The one wheel drive thing isn't the best for off road.db

Limited slip or posi-traction :lol:

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

Is it front wheel drive?Or a locker!!!!

#6 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

Is it front wheel drive?Or a locker!!!!

The Front drivers side is the only wheel with drive ability.db

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,582 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

Call your local Toyota Dealer and see what they say. The next post will cost you $.25. :P :lol:

#8 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

Call your local Toyota Dealer and see what they say. The next post will cost you $.25. :P :lol:

I called them first. Calling a car dealership is like calling a camera shop for advice on photography. :) They sent me to a 4-wheel drive shop. They knew even less, but sent me to a differential shop. They didn't have a clue. Oh well, the next vehicle will have to have 4 wheel drive I am guessing.db

#9 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

Soundslike it was like asking a gun shop for advice on guns. :lol: Difference is, the car shop flat out admitted they didn't know, while the gun shop dude will just make something up.

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

If it's front wheel drive there wouldn't be any way to add a transfer case to turn the back wheels. Front wheel drives have the transmissions bolted onto the engine and a shaft going to each wheel to cause it to turn. They could of course in theory create a locker to make both of your front wheels turn. But I am guessing that the demand for such an accessory would not pay for the effort to produce it.If it were rear wheel drive you could get the parts from a donor vehicle, swap out the parts and cut down your rear drive line to fit after the transfer case were added. This is a LOT of work and is usually much easier just to buy the 4x4 to begin with.Maybe and old clunker truck that is 4x4 for you to take hunting will fill the bill in the mean time?

#11 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

Maybe and old clunker truck that is 4x4 for you to take hunting will fill the bill in the mean time?

Thanks Heath. I am quite sure you are right, though it doesn't make sense to me to sell a vehicle as a utility vehicle but have it possess one wheel drive. Why call it two wheel drive? The old 62 Chevy station wagon my old man had had a positraction(sp) rear axle. And that was forty years ago... db

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users