Photo

anyone have a load for a Ruger M77 MKII .223 ??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

anyone have a load for a Ruger M77 MKII .223 ?? im using 25.5Gr of varget and a 53Gr sierra HPBTim geting 2" groups out of it? is this gun capable of better groups.?? and what should i be geting out of it its a 1-12Twist all wether SS im useing a nikon buckmaster 4x14 BDC.. thanks guys

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

Have you loaded up or down from 25.5 grains yet?

#3 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

anyone have a load for a Ruger M77 MKII .223 ?? im using 25.5Gr of varget and a 53Gr sierra HPBTim geting 2" groups out of it? is this gun capable of better groups.?? and what should i be geting out of it its a 1-12Twist all wether SS im useing a nikon buckmaster 4x14 BDC.. thanks guys

How heavy is your trigger pull :lol: Have you cleaned your barrel so no green comes out after all night soak with a copper bore cleaner?A gun can be a finicky thing try some other bullets then some other powders BLC2 etc :)

#4 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

i started at 24 im at 25.5 i have cleaned it the cleaner says "do not let set for more thin 10 min"?? the BBL gets vary hot easy like 5 shots its hot...any way to keep it colder? do you think free floting it will help its not a bull BBL...? all wather stock..

#5 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

There's been some issues with Ruger rifles and accuracy lately. It may be the best it will do.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#6 Ken H

Ken H

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting, bird hunting. Reloading.

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

You have to test the trigger for pull weight first, should be under 3 lbs if you want the best possible accuracy. Then take a dollar bill and run it down between the stock and barrel, should travel all the way down to the end of the barrel to ensure it's free floating.If all that is good then you have to try some different loads in the rifle to see what it likes. With all that said, if it still doesn't shoot under a inch, you have got a typical ruger rifle, not good.I did see a good shootin Ruger rifle today in 204. Had a 3lb trigger, shootin commercial ammo. Was shooting .540 5 shot groups. If you cut the trigger pull to half that weight it will only get better.I was impressed with the rifle and the shooter. He also had quality optics on top too!!!!I know some will argue, but Ruger does not put the best possible barrels on their rifles. I'm just not a Ruger fan, but yes there are exceptions. Their triggers suck and I don't know anyone who wants to try and adjust them. Generally you have to put a good aftermarket trigger on them to really adjust the pull weight.If nothing else they make great boat anchors.............. :rolleyes:Yes I would buy a Ruger only if I could shoot it first...............

#7 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:56 PM

I have a ruger in 7mm rem mag that shoots real good but it does get hot after 3 shots. But I make the 1st shot count. :D :lol: :lol: :lol: besdes my 10-22 cant say much about ruger rifles. mine work fine. PS mine is a ss to.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

My pet 223 load is:50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet23.5grs RL10XFed 205 Match PrimerWin BrassVelocity = 3400 fpsAccuracy = scary accurate... While almost all my rifles are free floated, I would hold off on yours. Some rifles actually shoot worse after free floating, although I personally have never had that happen. Anyway, I would test a few more loads first. Also, replacing the trigger is an excellent idea. If Timney(sp?) makes one for Ruger that is what I would get. You can pay more for others like Jewel, Shilen etc, but are no better, if even as good IMHO.Other powders that we tested & did probably just as well are Benchmark & W748. W748 was with mag primer. Another powder that I have "seen" work outstanding in other rifles is H335. Varget did well in our 223's, but velocity was approx 100 fps slower, and accuracy not quite as guilt edged.All The BestFrank

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

There's been some issues with Ruger rifles and accuracy lately. It may be the best it will do.

Lately?? The rumor 20 yrs ago was that Ruger bought barrels from Wilson for $10 each. The latest rumor I've come across is that they are now paying $12.50. You don't get a good barrel for that price. Of course, I don't know that any of the other volume manufacturers have barrels that are any better.I've had six Rugers, not counting pistols. Three No. 1's and three 77's. I gave one to my son-in-law, sold the .222 No. 1, rebarreled two No. 1's, have one 77/22 Hornet that is pretty much the way it left the plant, the other 77 is a Swift that was rechambered to 22-243 Middlestead. I think I have been able to get all to shoot .75" or better before I started seriously modifying them. My "go to" load for 223 is a 50 gr Sierra Blitz, with about 27-28 gr of WW 748. ( Always start low and work up. Follow your load manual religously. etc.) This gives about 3200 - 3300 fps with good accuracy in my guns. Oh Yeah, Winchester cases & Rem 7 1/2 primers.Highs in the 50's at Surprise Valley through the end of the week. Winds light at 10-15. :lol: :lol:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:56 PM

25.5 grain BLC-2 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip MolyKimber 82 The target on the right Posted Image27.8 grain H33540 grain V-Max This is a 222 Remington Magnum load can be duplicated for 223 alsoRemington 40X two 5 shot groupPosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

Great looking groups!!

#12 kigercreek

kigercreek

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

Tomcat,Your story sounds very familiar. I have the same rifle for a few years now, and have had the same results, even after adding a custom trigger almost immediately. I have tried a variety of loads, each with the relative same result. The last measure I took was shooting the "Tubbs System" variety of bullets down the tube to see if it would smooth out any problems which may exist. I cannot see any difference. Soo.....I've decided not to attempt to wrap the rifle around any nearby tree, but to look into barrel replacement with either a Douglas or Pac-Nor. I haven't checked the bolt fact for squareness as well as I should, so I will do that, as well. Oh, and one other thing...I can't seat a bullet out far enough to even come close to touching the lands. While some like this "jump", I'm a strong proponent of a very few thousandths off, if not barely touching.

#13 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

ya i was thing of getting a Pac-Nor they do use parts that i make i work a JGS tooling sum of you might of used are tools...today i was shooting some 50 fed HP the value pack of 200 from wal-mart and i got 1" out of it it got hot fast.....man i'm thinking i was better off getting a savage.. whats up with ruger!!!!!!!!

#14 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:59 PM

Try contacting there customer service maybe a free replacement barrel :angry:

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

man i'm thinking i was better off getting a savage.. whats up with ruger!!!!!!!!

You wouldn't be wrong getting a Savage. Ruger has had some problems for several years now with the quality of their rifles. You might get a good one then again most likely you wouldn't. They make a fine pistol but until they start building a rifle like Savage I won't purchase one. :huh:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#16 casey.martin2506

casey.martin2506

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:predator hunting. andpredator hunting

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:31 PM

i have a ruger m77 mark II and the accuracy is supurb. far better than my buddy's brand new remington sendero 22-250 which is a thousand dolar gun topped with a thousand dolar scope. clean ehr good and try a new load then start talking to ruger if your problem keeps happening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users