19 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

What's the pro and cons on both. From what I heard the 41 has more long range power but the ammo is hard to come by. I did see some at the gun shop 24.00 for 20 # 210 grn.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

Well, I'm not sure about the long range part... for almost any revolver. Guess it would depend on the definition of what "long range" is. To me, long range calls for a rifle, not a revolver, but that is just me. I would have to question (& look up) the difference, if any, between the two as far as shooting distances goes.Anyway, I personally would take the 44 over the 41. I still own one 44 mag and it is a great caliber. There is good reason why the 44 out sells the 41 hands down. In one word, PERFORMANCE!And remember you can shoot regular 44 cal ammo in the 44mag, making it substantially less expensive and more enjoyable to shoot.They are both excellent calibers & won't go wrong with either one. Good Luck in Your DecisionFrank

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

They're both great rounds. The only thing that would lean me away from the .41 is non-lead bullet availability. I'm sure someone will come out with a slug for the .40 S&W that could be loaded in the .41 for for lighter game but if you ever wanted to go on a hog or bear hunt you might be out of luck. I've said it before and I'll say it again......If you handload, the old .45 colt is the perfect sidearm cartridge.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

I was just asking because I was watching guns amd ammo tv and they were talking about the 41 mag. My wifes grandfahter has one and he said I could use it.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

I like my .44's. But if you can try the .41 mag it can't hurt. Personally if I were starting all over again I'd still choose the .44 mag. Just because I can load them to the lighter .44 Special loads and they shoot to the same POA as the .44 mags. But that being said if I had to pick between a .41 mag and a .45 Colt I'd take the .45 Colt hands down.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

WHy is the 45 colt better than the 44 mag.Just looking in the manuel the same 240 gr the 44 has more velocity at normal loads than the hot 45 colt.I read more on here http://www.chuckhawk...-pressure45.htm

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:05 PM

They are saying the "41" mag, not the 44mag vs the 45 colt... And I think I agree & would also go with a 45 colt over a 41 mag... but definitely the 44mag beats them all, hands down. But not to take away from any of them.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

WHy is the 45 colt better than the 44 mag.Just looking in the manuel the same 240 gr the 44 has more velocity at normal loads than the hot 45 colt.I read more on here http://www.chuckhawk...-pressure45.htm

If you have a 41 to use go for it. It'll do whatever needs doin with a sixgun in california.Here's a link to one of John Linebaughs articles on heavy .45 colt loads. It really shows what the old colt is really capable of with heavy bullets. It's pretty darn impressive. Big bore revolvers are his buisness so I hold more stock in what he has to say about the subject than Chuck Hawks.http://customsixguns...ng_the_myth.htm
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

I'd go 44 mag except in an exceptionally light revolver, then drop down to 41. For example, a scandium or titanium frame revolver. I'm always on the lookout for a Taurus total titanium tracker in 41 mag, since I missed my opportunity to buy one a few months before the CA handgun list (yet another tax) came out. Now that's a 41mag to have!

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

For versatility, my vote is with the 44 magnum. 41 is a great cartridge but it is handicapped with few bullet choices. 45 Colt on a strong revolver like the Freedom Arms, Bisley or BFR can be loaded to equal if not surpassed 44 Magnum performance. Still 44 is the king and I have fun shooting them with my Desert Eagle.Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

That looks like a handfull of fun right there! :drool:

#12 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

I agree with the majority I sure wouldn't trade my 44 mag. for a 41 mag. :drool:

#13 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

Desert eagle. mmmmm goood :drool:

#14 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

That looks like a handfull of fun right there! :)

Yep! they are! and since it's gas operated, the recoil is very mild. I'll be ordering a 50 AE barrel for it and those are even more fun to shoot :drool:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

One of my hunting buddys has an eagle on order along with the extended barrel. I'm sure a .50 kit will follow shortly.

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

I like that desert eagle looks evil.

#17 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

I think I would go with a S&W .460 mag over a desert eagle. I can fire 3 rounds threw it 45 colt 454 casull and .460 smith. It groups better and hits alot harder. the only thing I think the DE has on is Capacity.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#18 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

I might do some reloading in the 45 Colt.The current wave,if you will,is the RCBS 270gr SAA cast bullets.About 1100 FPS oughta be about right. :roflmao3[1]: Will see about doing some in 44 mag with the 270gr Gold Dots.And more in the 320gr JDJs. :roflmao3[1]:
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#19 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

I have owned two 44 mags. I still have the SBH 44m 7 1/2" bbl. It is a keeper. The 41 mag is a great gun. But the 44mag is more versatile. Shoot 44 spl or light and heavy 44 mag loads from it. the 44mag will shoot from 180gr to 320 gr or more. It has taken elephant with a head shot. Hogs, deer, elk, gator, bear, and a lot more. A good 240 gr hard cast bullet will do most of the critters that we hunt, and rite well.

#20 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

Ya, my vote is for the .44mag. I have 2 rugers redhawk's 4in. and 5.5 in barrel and smith 629 classic 8.3/ 8's barrel(wich broke twice, cant handle heavy reloads). .44mag can handle most big game with heavy bullet's 300gr. or bigger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users