40 replies to this topic

#31 rangertmldr

rangertmldr

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

In my opinion its never a bad idea to have a back up. As posted above, Doubletap or Buffalo Bore are top choices. Your Ruger is a great pistol, no special "need" for a .44 mag in cali other than the general need to own at least one .44 lol.

#32 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

i'm talking about cali black bears, what would be the best factory ammo.

Might be a bit late on the reply but with an bear or big cat I would go for Buffaloe Bore or Garrett's. They make a hard cast wadcutter type ammo. Would be worth checking out.

#33 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

I always take my .357 with me, whether it's fishing or hunting. but a well placed 30.06 will get it done right the first time, every time ... the .357 is mostly for peace of mind and the two legged predators that one might run into :glare:
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one.

#34 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

Why do you guys bother with bringing a side arm bear hunting? All you need to do is bring a buddy that can't run as fast as you and you're covered.

Well, I'm too slow of a runner.

#35 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

When you look for a hunting buddy, some qualities you need to look for too are:-Shorter-Heavier-Wears heavier boots than you-Carries extra gear-Known to hate running

#36 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

i have both revolvers and i leave the .357 at home and carry the .44 mag... it is heavier to carry, but i know it can take down anything in the mountains in california, with the .357 you never know against a larger black bear... seems like carrying the .357 mag for bear defense is as controversial for its effectiveness as carrying the 9mm for ccw...

#37 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

Remember, you're talking about black bear not a brown bear. Black bears do not get THAT big, and a good hardcast 158gr lead bullet will go plenty deep enough to hit any vitals it needs to. And that is the key. Even the .44 will not be effective unless it hits something vital. It's amazing how we are all here isn't it? I mean how did our forefathers ever make it across this country without a .50 BMG and a .500 S&W :smiley_kewlpics:

#38 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

The bear in the photo below (color phase black bear) was killed about three weeks after the photo was taken. He was killed by an archer who put six arrows in him before he went down almost a mile from where he was first shot. He weighed in at 598 lbs. about the average size of a grizzly. Keep in mind that the garbage can in the photo foreground is two feet in diameter and the bear is in the background. He is about four feet at the shoulder. I know of two other bears in the Truckee CA area that are as big or bigger than the one in the photo and still living. Not all CA bears are puny little critters. The boy scouts got it right, "Be Prepared".Our forefathers made across the country with a 50 ca or larger black powder rifle and a lot of the early ones got the butts chewed on by large bears.Attached File  7.jpg   19.15KB   2 downloads
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#39 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:10 AM

one ammo from your 30-06 into the vital area is enough, but if the turn table changes your .357mag 170g+ is good enough within 30yards or closer will be good. In my opinion I shoot a 270wsm 150g barnes tsx enough into the lungs and srap the intenral organs.

#40 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Remember, you're talking about black bear not a brown bear. Black bears do not get THAT big, and a good hardcast 158gr lead bullet will go plenty deep enough to hit any vitals it needs to. And that is the key. Even the .44 will not be effective unless it hits something vital. It's amazing how we are all here isn't it? I mean how did our forefathers ever make it across this country without a .50 BMG and a .500 S&W :rolleyes:

Horses can out run a bear, and they didn't go looking for them!

#41 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

i think the key to all of "is it big enough" is being able to hit your target area. A .357 in the head is a much better killer than a 500 S and w in the belly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users