21 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:46 PM

Anybody know what kind of sunfish this is? I always thought they were "bluegills" but after looking at some pics I may be wrong. This one is small, they're typically a bit larger, but rarely get bigger than my stretched out (large) hand. The large ones look exactly the same. Are they some sort of pumkinseed variety? Anybody know?Posted Image

#2 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:07 AM

thats what we call a bluegill here in oregon..

#3 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:08 AM

thats what we call a bluegill here in oregon..

It's actually called a Green Sunfish. That one just happens to have really bold stripes. There is a bunch of different species of sunfishBluegillGreen SunfishRedbreastRedEarWarmouthShellCrackerRockBassPumpkin SeedCrappie Black or WhiteAnd believe or not Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass are part of the sunfish familyThere a couple more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.Tim
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:03 AM

List of California Centrarchids:
  • Largemouth bass
  • Smallmouth bass
  • Spotted bass
  • Redeye bass
  • Pumpkinseed
  • Bluegill
  • Redear Sunfish
  • Warmouth
  • Green sunfish
  • White crappie
  • Black Crappie
  • Sacramento perch
The only native fish in this list is the Sacramento Perch. It is funny how DFG promotes the propagation of all of these non-native fishes in our waters.I had an icthyology class in college and we netted almost all of the native freshwater fishes of the central California.You have a Redear Sunfish. The the other cetrarchids don't have the orange ring around the black spot located on the opercular flap.The California record was 1.6 kg. That was quite a few years ago. It may be more now. They get fair sized. The problem with isolated communities is that they often over populate, lending to overall small sizes.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

I would say, "It looks like lunch!" :D :lol: I like them a little larger though. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

I think they are cichlids too aren't they?

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

Cichlids are close but not the same Thats a green sunfish. bozsik other sunfish can have the red on the flap. I will get pictures from my little koi pond of some sunfish for you guys have four kinds in it.also have a bunch of cichlids in it. going to stop now or I will not stop talking about them :D
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:18 AM

Heres a coupl pics from last year, the white and black koi is about 2' long and you can see a good sized green sunfish in the lower right.. OK Ill stop. :D Posted Image Posted Image
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

Cichlids are close but not the same Thats a green sunfish. bozsik other sunfish can have the red on the flap. I will get pictures from my little koi pond of some sunfish for you guys have four kinds in it.also have a bunch of cichlids in it. going to stop now or I will not stop talking about them :D

You are correct Thumper. The Orange/Red color doesn't extend along the outer rim of the operculum. It is only around the black spot. My mistake. :lol: At first glance I thought the red extended farther.db

#10 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Green Sunfish. Ok, thanks guys! Yeah I like them a little bigger too, this is a smaller specimen. It's the first fish I caught at the lake last week, had to take a pic of the first one. But they're all colored just like that, big ones and small alike. The biggest they get in this lake is the size of my outstretched hand (I have big hands).

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

I have a deep fryer and will travel! :D

Time waits for no one--

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

If your fryer will fit in your 2-man boat with an electic motor, then we might be in business. There's not enough room on my lap on my pontoon boat for you. :D

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

I have a few boats here are two. Both have electric trolling motors and gas engines! :D Posted ImagePosted Image

Time waits for no one--

#14 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

I have a boat it doubles as a ice chest :lol: made of foam :D

#15 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

Oh, and there's no dock, so you gotta carry it in about 50 yards. Forgot to mention that part...

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

Oh, and there's no dock, so you gotta carry it in about 50 yards. Forgot to mention that part...

Who needs a dock I have a canoe too. :D But if you're willing to carry either of the others you can. :lol: My 14ft Gregor would probably make it too. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#17 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:04 PM

Who needs a dock I have a canoe too. :lol: But if you're willing to carry either of the others you can. :o My 14ft Gregor would probably make it too. :o

Now John,If he said there was a 100 foot cliff to scale, would you also have a helicopter for that? ;) db

#18 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

I'm sure he knows somebody...

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:39 PM

Now John,If he said there was a 100 foot cliff to scale, would you also have a helicopter for that? :lol: db

I do as a matter of fact. I have two friends that do contract lifting work with several helicopters. A good friend flies our local Fire helicopter and I've got a few more that fly Sheriff's and CHP helicopters. Oh and then there are a couple of friends that fly for the National Guard. Yeah, I could get it there. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#20 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

Thats cat fish bait. :lol: Striper too. ;)
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#21 Esavage

Esavage

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, and Computers

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

I agree that it is a Green Sunfish, you can tell a bluegill because the blue on the earflap will stretch all the way to the edge of the flap. As you can tell on that one, it does not. But to the normal fisherman, that is a bluegill along with all the other small panfish out there with blue specks on the gills.

#22 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:45 PM

(I have big hands).

Ya me too. But don't ask my wife she will just deny it. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users