• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

I had to buy crickets to feed our box turtles today. Although I don't buy anything at Wild Sports as a rule, they have the lowest prices on crickets. I had just been over to the ammo counter inquiring about the 17HMR for sale. They told me I had to have a coupon for it. Thinking I was somewhat clever, I called my wife at our Vet Clinic. Since I don't know of any other use for the Sacramento Bee than lining the bottom of stainless steel animal cages, I thought they might have last thursday's biased news mixed with the coupon I needed. No luck. They were too busy to look through the old issues for me, so I decided to give it a miss.I was in the line for the crickets and the guy in front of me is buyiing a sh**-load of 22LR boxes. Then he whips out his credit card to pay, at the same time he has a section of the newspaper in the other. He hands it to the the girl behind the counter, and she politely pulls out the pair of scissors from under the register and cuts out the various coupons.Wild Sports has their famous "RED SECURITY LINE" and the manager who never smiles to guard the front door. I immediately noticed the scissors deftly slicing around the other coupons as I watched them flutter to the countertop. Ah Ha! The remainder of the newspaper was dangling from the gentleman's fingers when I knowingly challenge the "RED LINE". This caused a chain reaction with the manager who reached for the lock to release the swing door that contains him most of the time. Ho Ho! He was not quick enough. I was next to the guy and able to quickly squeeze the question as to whether or not he was finished with the ad, before the manager asked me to return to my place behind the "RED SECURITY LINE". He replied with an affirmative nod and I briskly swept the coupon from his hand.I turned to face the manager. . .politely smiled, and returned back to my place. Yes, behind the "RED SECURITY LINE".After stepping up to be served, I asked for my crickets. She asked me if I had brought my own container. Of course I hadn't. So I went out to the car, searched until I found a plastic bag. I snatched it up, emptied the stones Lil"Shooter had collected from the American River on our last visit, and headed back in.This time, when I reached the clerk, she told me she wasn't allowed to put crickets in a plastic bag. They had to be in a hard container. Of course for an additional $1.00, she could sell me a cricket container. I told her I had been buying crickets from Wild Sports for the past ten years, and I have most certainly used a plastic bag on occassions."CLICK" The lock was again being released and the demon from behind the swinging door headed my way.Before he could ask me to leave, I set the 17 HMR case on the counter and said it was fine, and she rang it up. Just as I was about to walk out the door, I turned to the next Guy in line and pointed at his foot. I said, "You are over the line", and he shifted his right foot back to inside the line.I just smiled, and walked out the door. :D Just for the record. Any of you who have been in that store. What's with the RED LINE thing anyway.dbPS The wife wasn't too happy with no crickets to feed her turtles. I didn't tell her about the good deal I got with the ammo either. I don't think she would have understood.
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#32 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:02 PM

Never paid attention to a red line, I just stand where I stand.If they don't like it to bad for them.
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#33 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

I don't know about the RED LINE but that guy at the door isn't the manager either my buddy Steve is. And I went to high school with the owner too. All kidding aside I know them and I hate the ad policy they have for coupons. Though it doesn't apply to me. :D By the way Dave have you ever gotten crickets from the pet store down Greenback next to the cemetery? They used to be cheap there. :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#34 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:04 PM

That Red Line thing would keep me from coming back ....

#35 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:13 AM

That Red Line thing would keep me from coming back ....

I've really never noticed the RED LINE thing. :) Maybe it's it's just you Dave! :) :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#36 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

I've really never noticed the RED LINE thing. :lol: Maybe it's it's just you Dave! :P :o

Hey Shooter, you are probably right. Maybe I should shave more often. :) The line is about 12 feet back from the register and has a big sign that points to it. :) db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#37 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

Hey Shooter, you are probably right. Maybe I should shave more often. :lol: The line is about 12 feet back from the register and has a big sign that points to it. :) db

I'll look for the RED LINE SIGN the next time I'm there and tell them you said hi. :P :)

Time waits for no one--

#38 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

I picked up a box of CCI 17 grain hollow points while I was at Wal-Mart. That was the only brand they carried so I am going to have to check else where. I am going in to see my FFL tomorrow afternoon and pay for the rifle and start the DROS.

#39 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

I picked up a box of CCI 17 grain hollow points while I was at Wal-Mart.

My guns don't seem to like those CCI hollow points. But they'll be good to break it in with. :angry:

Time waits for no one--

#40 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:28 PM

That was kind of what I was thinking. I ordered the cleaning stuff for it yesterday and it should be here well before it gets out of "jail". Blasted CA laws!! :angry:

#41 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:02 AM

How much did the 17HMR cost at Wally World?My local shops asking $12.00! OUCH!

#42 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:43 AM

How much did the 17HMR cost at Wally World?My local shops asking $12.00! OUCH!

$9.95

#43 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

$12? That's a bargain compared to the local shops at my old house. Try $12.99 and laugh your way out the door.

#44 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

Now I don't feel so bad about my box at $10

#45 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:08 AM

I bought two bricks of CCI 17 grain hollow points last year because I got it for $5.99 a box. But it shoots terribly in my Savage. Under 50 yards it's really accurate. So at my father-in-laws duck club they had a rat problem near their duck cleaning shed. I had been using an air rifle to dispatch the rats. But switched to the hollow point .17HMR ammo since I didn't care for it. It was louder and way overkill, but the results were spectacular. :D Also a lot messier though too. :angry: Still more fun than pellets or my 10/22 and I could sit on the porch farther away. :)

Time waits for no one--

#46 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:50 AM

Hey:Todays Sac Bee add for Wild Sports is $7.99 for CCI V-Max :D Not as good as $6.99 but still really good.You do need the Coupon :angry:
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#47 shootist

shootist

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:54 AM

Those of you in the west. BiMart has Hornady 17 HMR for $7.99. Time to stock up.

#48 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

Those of you in the west. BiMart has Hornady 17 HMR for $7.99. Time to stock up.

I've never heard of BiMart. We have K-Mart and Wal-Mart where I am but BiMart must be in San Francisco. :angry:

Time waits for no one--

#49 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

Bi-Mart is a really great store, but unfortunately, it is in Oregon only. :angry:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#50 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

Bi-Mart, eh? Never heard of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users