• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NoBull60

NoBull60

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing and pretty much anything outdoors.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi All,First post for me on shotgunning.The reason I'm asking this question is I'm concidering bringing a lightweight, compact shotgun like the Mossberg 510 Mini 20g (or some other youth sized 20g) to my coyote stands. A question for anyone with know how on 20 gauge and up close shots on coyote sized or smaller critters. Is there an adequate load for close 30yrd or less that will dispatch a coyote or coon? I haven't found anyone here (Canada) who makes a heavy buckshot load in 20g so I may have to reload to get the shot i need. The heaviest shot I've found so far is through mail order and it is #1 buck in 3". Would this work? Anything else is only offered in #2,4, and 5.Thanks,NB60

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

There is not a lot of options out there for the 20ga but any 3" buckshot load will work fine. I have a couple boxes of Federal 3" #2 Buck on hand for yotes
Hic Ego Statio

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

I kinda like the #4 Buck. The pellets are .24" diameter so you get more pellets per cartridge. They work good for home defense too, makes a nice window in a bad guy at close range. The #4 buck also will work in 2 3/4" shells if you can find them and will kill a coyote at under 30 yds. if you do your part.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

+1. With a 20 you don't have the room to get many big pellets in there so the smaller buck sizes will help keep the pattern nice and even. Since you have given yourself a 30-ish yard limit I would even go down to some large letter size shot like BBB, T, or F.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

+1. With a 20 you don't have the room to get many big pellets in there so the smaller buck sizes will help keep the pattern nice and even. Since you have given yourself a 30-ish yard limit I would even go down to some large letter size shot like BBB, T, or F.

There just aren't many options in 20ga like I said. Any buckshot you can find will work. I cant find anyone that even manufactures 20ga shells in T, BBB, BB, etc. Seems they jump from #2 birdshot and go right into #2 buckshot with nothing in between.
Hic Ego Statio

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

Try Able ammo, Cabelas, Ammunitiontogo, Midway to start with. There's a bunch of places to buy 20 ga. buckshot in various sizes. From my quick search it looks like #3 buck is the most common and it isn't that much bigger diameter than #4 buck. I didn't look for non tox shells. I noticed the guy lives in Canada that asked the question. I don't know what the situation about buying on line there. He may be restricted to what is in a local brick and mortar store.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

There just aren't many options in 20ga like I said. Any buckshot you can find will work. I cant find anyone that even manufactures 20ga shells in T, BBB, BB, etc. Seems they jump from #2 birdshot and go right into #2 buckshot with nothing in between.

Yeah, I was just giving him ideas for some handloads. For as many shells as a guy would use for coyote hunting I'd get a mallet and one of those lee-loader kits to load the ammo I wanted to use instead of the ammo I would be otherwise forced to use.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 NoBull60

NoBull60

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for your help all. I was most concerned about getting good penetration from a 20 gauge at my range limit since I often call them into 5 yards or so. Would 3" BB or #2 work? I don't have toxic restrictions for mammals.Any of the short barreled youth models won't add much weight in addition to my rifle and calling gear.I can't get loaded shells through mailorder but I might be able to get shot and components. I have contemplated the cheap Lee Loader. I could drive across the border and purchase ammo but it adds to the cost of the shells with duty and taxes. I live about 3 hours from the nearest Cabelas and I should be able to find a descent selection there. Make a nice weekend trip. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: The coyotes get the most extreme expression changes :roflmao3[1]: when they realise the danger. :751:

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

I have contemplated the cheap Lee Loader. I could drive across the border and purchase ammo but it adds to the cost of the shells with duty and taxes.

Try finding a cheap used Mec Jr press also. Not very expensive (at least around here). Picked up the 12ga for $40 and the 20ga for $60. I will never buy factory (lead) shotgun ammo again. MUCH better load for the same price or less, and it is almost too easy to load. And the Mec presses are indestructible. Good luck however you go.

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

I was most concerned about getting good penetration from a 20 gauge at my range limit since I often call them into 5 yards or so. Would 3" BB or #2 work? I don't have toxic restrictions for mammals.Any of the short barreled youth models won't add much weight in addition to my rifle and calling gear.

#2 buck-yes, #2 shot-no. Remember that a pellet launched at 1200 fps will penetrate the same whether it was launched from a .410 or a 10 gauge. The difference between the two is the higher number of pellet strikes that are made due to the heavier payload that the larger gauge throws at the target. With a 20 you will definitely want to try a few choked and see which one patterns best with your load of choice.Honestly if you don't already have the 20 ga. I would get a short barreled 12 Mossberg pump turkey gun. Mossys are pretty light and with 3.5 inch 12 ga. power at your finger tips you could use the shotgun as your main gun with the rifle as back up for dogs that hang up.

#11 NoBull60

NoBull60

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

I hadn't thought about a turkey gun....those are compact and come with a tight choke already. Probably all I need.As you can tell I'm not much of a shotgunner. Not that I haven't shot one before....just not familiar with the efectiveness of the shot out of different gauges. I shot my dads old Cooey 12 gauge as a kid and all I remember is the recoil. I'm a big kid now and the recoil likely won't be as bad as then.Thanks for your help everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users