22 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

Other than just boiling them and dipping their tails in melted butter and garlic . Do you guys have any recipes or sauces to make out of them. I have a few to cook up.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

Did you get them out of the river Johnny? A guy once told me that if you get them out of some funky water you should keep them alive in a bucket of fresh for a couple days changeing the water once in a while and feed them corn meal so it purges all the nasty riverbottom dog poop out of them.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

I just use plain water in an ice chest. After about 10 to 15 minutes in the water I drain and fill again. I do this a couple of times until the water is clear. Using the ice chest makes viewing the water color easier.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Ive heard the same but with catfish instead of crawdads.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

You do that with snails too. :signlol2iu: Put them in a troth that will work you do not need the corn meal.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

Do not put them in the troth .Peeker said the cattle and horeses will not drink from it with somthing strange in it. Keep them in cool clear water for about 24 hrs some place.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:21 AM

Well......back to cooking them. We make an annual camping/fishing trip up to Timothy Lake on Mt Hood every year and I set out the crawfish pots for the first two nights. I keep the crawfish in a live trap suspended away from the bottom of the lake for a while so they will purge themselves. On our last night in camp we BBQ steaks on my Weber and I cook the crawfish to go along with the steak. I put them in a kettle with some water and some Old Bay seasoning and some salt. Dip the tails and the larger claws in butter and wash down with ice cold beer or the wine of your choice.Another good recipe is to boil them in salted water with a healthy dose of cayenne pepper dumped in. Dungeness crab is also really good fixed either of these ways. One thing about keeping them in fresh water to purge them. Ordinary tap water will kill them in a hurry. I believe it's the chlorine in the water that does it. When you buy crawfish at the market they just stack them in boxes and keep them cool. I think you'd be better off to catch them in clean water and not worry. Crawfish is poor man's lobster. If there's any difference in the taste I can't tell it.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#8 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:26 AM

How about Zataran's Crab boil? That's how we cook our Hood Canal shrimp and Dungeness crab.

#9 howdy62

howdy62

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:30 AM

I like to make Etouffe when we have some tails left over. It's a bit time consuming but worth the effort. I did quick searchfor recipes this page is one of the first that came up. Good Luck....http://www.gumbopage...d/etouffee.html

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

they all died over night I was changing the water in the 5 gallon bucket everyday today would have been the second day I had 12 in it . I didn't know about the corn meal i will try it just need to find a way to keep them alive long enough. They are coming out of the canal and kind of smell like pond water I might just pass on the canal crawdads and use them for bait .

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

Do not put them in the troth .Peeker said the cattle and horeses will not drink from it with somthing strange in it. Keep them in cool clear water for about 24 hrs some place.

Tell peeker he don't know what hes talking about LOL thats not true with cows we would raise gold fish in them all the time.

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:07 PM

Maybe he said he would not drink from a troth with something strange in it ? Remember I'm a city guy, baby cows :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#13 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

I said a horse not a cow. And thumper would drink from a troth and has.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#14 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

Got mudbug questions? Check out this guy's site: http://www.terrybullard.com/
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#15 Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:11 AM

Years ago when the levee broke over by Isleton we went along Hwy 12 with hot dog tongs and 5 gallon buckets and got a whole bunch of them. Cut the tails off and pulled the core or vein out of the tails and boiled them and dipped them in butter. At the time we didn't know any other way of doing it but boy were they good. :oops:
" When you have to shoot, "shoot", don't talk " [Tuco-The good, The bad and The Ugly]

#16 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

I like to make Etouffe when we have some tails left over. It's a bit time consuming but worth the effort. I did quick searchfor recipes this page is one of the first that came up. Good Luck....http://www.gumbopage...d/etouffee.html

I had Etouffe for the first time at a restaurant called Harold and Bells here in LA and it was really good!http://www.haroldand...restaurant.com/

#17 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

Check this out.http://www.appeal-de...s/-99585--.html
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#18 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

Check this out.http://www.appeal-de...s/-99585--.html

What a nut job.

#19 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

that guys crazy .... i dont know the recipe but i like the way they do it in the tai restraunts when theput the seasoning and crawdads in a bag and boil it.lots of flavor.

#20 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

(after they're clean)water, salt and old bay or a good crab boil seasoning and your good to go. eat the tail and suck the juices and all that delicious nasty looking stuff thats up in the head. with some ice cold beer, theres nothing better.

#21 Owen

Owen

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

My suggestion is to actually throw them in a bucket of water with 2 spoons of salt. Salt helps them spit out all the dirt because of osmosis. Usually overnight is good enough. Chinese people (my people lol)use sesame oil instead of salt. I found that not as good, a lot of them died lol. One of the best recipes is the one at boiling crab. The restaurant makes bomb crawfish. Louisianan style, but really really good.

#22 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

We get crawfish at Donner Lake all summer long. I like to boil them up with old bay and dip them in garlic butter. You can also make a stir-fry using frozen vegetables and a stir fry sauce. Cook the vegies and add the boiled crawfish tails (pealed) at the last minute. Cook just long enough to heat them through and then serve. Yum!!!
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#23 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Tell peeker he don't know what hes talking about LOL thats not true with cows we would raise gold fish in them all the time.

They put goldfish in the troughs on my cousin's cattle ranch in west Texas to eat the algae so they have to clean it less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users