• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

Im want to get a over/under 12g. I dont want to a fortune, but I dont want a crappy gun.I found the Mossberg Silver line ($489) , but found out that they have problems with the firing pin setup.Im looking for a 28" barrel. Its mainly going to be for clays, but maybe a bird or 2..Any suggestions would be great..

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

Last year I got a CZ Redhead Delux and I love it. It got shotgun of the year a couple years ago by Guns & Ammo and for the price you can't beat it. If I remember right, it set me back a little over $500. It came with a full set of choke tubes (C, IC, M, IM, and F) and uses benelli tubes if you want something that it didn't come with. Mine is a 26" but I'm pretty sure you can get 28s. The wood is really nice, the stock has a nice cast off for a right handed shooter, the forearm has a shnabeled tip (hard to see in the pic) the action appears to be a matte nickle finish, and the barrels are black chromed so it's pretty much weather-prof. The recoil pad is thin and has a hard plastic piece at the top so it wont catch your shirt or jacket when trying to mount the gun in a hurry. It's set up perfectly as an upland gun so a thicker pad would probably be better for shooting clays but thats an easy fix.Posted Image

#3 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:11 AM

I was looking at that yesterday. The price is good, and it looks great, thanks for the feedback.

#4 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:49 AM

Im want to get a over/under 12g. I dont want to a fortune, but I dont want a crappy gun.I found the Mossberg Silver line ($489) , but found out that they have problems with the firing pin setup.Im looking for a 28" barrel. Its mainly going to be for clays, but maybe a bird or 2..Any suggestions would be great..

Check out the Stoegar Condor o/u which is a Benelli product. They make a 28" barrel. You can get the Supreme model for $599 and work down in price from there. The main difference is that the cheaper models have a lower grade walnut stock and have extractors instead of ejectors. I just got a 26" Supreme and took it to the range Sunday and love it. Woodog

#5 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

Check out the Stoegar Condor o/u which is a Benelli product. They make a 28" barrel. You can get the Supreme model for $599 and work down in price from there. The main difference is that the cheaper models have a lower grade walnut stock and have extractors instead of ejectors. I just got a 26" Supreme and took it to the range Sunday and love it. Woodog

#6 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:33 PM

Thanks, Ill have to go check it out, thats a good price too.. Thanks again for the info..

#7 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:37 PM

Thanks woodog. I like the look of these, and I really like the Condor Competition.Has ported barrely, and the adj, comb is cool, and the palm swell is a nice touch.Not bad for a msrp of $629 :signtripledogdare2wf:Attached File  1.jpg   4.48KB   14 downloads

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

Talk to somebody that shoots them at clay's or better yet shoot a round with one before you buy. Some of the O/U's kick like a Mule. The gun suggested looks great but before a purchase I would shoot one at the course. I've seen and heard the whining from a bunch of big tough guys about how bad their cheek, upper lip, or shoulder hurts after only a 100 shot round with their brand new shotgun. I've shot a shotgun alittle over the past 45 years and trust me try before you buy. JMHO

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

BF's right I've owned and shot some very high dollar shotguns in my time. Some were meant to look at and not shoot.

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:40 AM

The fellers above me is correct. I shot a beretta silver pigeon once it had everything done to it ported back bored had a shock style butt stock. It rang my bell hit me in my check I no want it LOL I will stay with my semi auto gas gun. That is a nice looking gun Quade for the money.

#11 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:14 AM

Ya Im going to talk to a friend that shoots clays all the time. I did shoot his Perazzi, nice gun. Ive delt with kick, I took my Mossberg security shotgun out to shoot clays, it has a 20" barrel. That kicked more then all the other gun we had out that day, and it was not too bad. But I understand your point, I would rather have a easy on the shoulder gun.. Thanks again.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

Bobby I've owned many Perazzi's and still have four, two that I hunt with. But all but one of them took special stocks and fitting to make them more pleasant to shoot. My MX8 combo used to be a cheek cutter until I was able to find the correct stock with the right amount of cast off to fit me correctly. I kept the gun because it was awesomely accurate but after a few 500 round special doubles events I looked like I had been in the ring with Mike Tyson. So until I found the right stock I had to bandage my face before shooting events. Definitely try and shoot the gun before purchasing one if at all possible. The most comfortable shooting over/unders I own and have shot are a couple of Winchester 101's and they aren't bad looking either. Have fun searching and I hope you find something to your liking without too much trouble.

#13 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

Thats half the fun, getting to look at all the guns, talking to people and dreaming about the day I can get that gun over there. Maybe I can find a used one. I would rather have a gun that fits me and shoots good then how it looks. I would rather beat someone with a gun that looks like I ran it over, than a brand new out of the box gun. But thats just me..

#14 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:04 AM

Quade I talked to a friend of mine who is a serious sporting clay's shooter. He sugested for an entry gun either Charles Daly, Winchester, or Remington that are all under a grand. He also suggested to go to the clay ranges and look around while a shoot is going on, he said that there are always used guns for sale during shoots and also check the bulletin boards. I used to subscribe to shotgun news which has a bunch of used stuff. Camanchee Hills has alot of big shoots up near Ione.

#15 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for all the help. :signs1180lq: Im going out to a few gun shops tomorrow, to see what fits. What I like, and mainly what my wallet can handle..

#16 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

Quade,I like cheap too, but I can't find a cheap over/under that comes up right for me. The best lower priced OU I've seen is the CZ. Check out Guntrader on line. They always have a few on their site. If you can find one, you won't go wrong.That being said, I saw in the Sac Bee sports pages today that one of the Sac gun shops has the Stoger OU on sale for under 3 bills!Truckeedan

#17 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:16 AM

Hopefully I can find that store... Its not that I want cheap, Shooting rilfe is my thing. Shooting trap is just to break it up a little. So I dont want to drop tons of money into it, also Im not going to compete, just go out and shoot stuff... I did see the CZ line, not bad hopefully one of them fit nicely...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users