49 replies to this topic

#31 kyhareraiser

kyhareraiser

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

might be ok if you shoot the first round thats already in the chamber .but follow up need to be either sp,hp or lead ,the plastic caps would break off during the action i suspect. 22lr have brass jackets that's crimped..deadly on copper heads but don't know bout a rattler.they get pretty good sized but a head shot would take it out i'd say.the copperheads don't even move after soting them.might be a good round for someone wanting to have a taxidermist do a good job on a whole rattler

#32 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

...i kill spiders with reckless abandon, they don't bother me but snakes? Yeah...where are my gaitors?

GATORS? Now we're talking scary critters!Did someone say "Where are my gators?"Posted Image

#33 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,582 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

:drool: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: Ding Dong Avon calling. :yikes[1]: :smiley-outta-here:

#34 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

Nice pair of DIY boots delivered to the door! I prefer the finished ones myself. quote name='CHIN SQUIRREL' date='Jul 23 2010, 02:22 PM' post='198313']Is that one of them Mojave Greens? That sure is a cool picture.[/quote]Yes, it is, my bad, was, a Mojave Green. Right out of the infamous Mojave Desert. They range in colors quite drastically. My first ever (20 some years ago) was a beautiful rustic red. Grampa always told us to bury the heads so another one will grow back. I usually end up using 2 rounds on the poor guys. First one is taken at about 2 - 3 feet away. That will kill em. Then, since I don't like being anywhere close to their head (and I'm lazy) the second shot from about 6 inches away takes the head off and leaves nothing to bury or step on later.Bruce, did you ever find a place that sold them in .40? If you do, you may want to do like I do- I keep 1 or 2 of them in my pocket. I have always had more than enough time to load them before getting into snake trouble. I also got tired of wasting them on the inevitable random rabbit and forgetting they were in there.

#35 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

That's cool, I didn't know that they came in different colors. I just thought they were all green. I keep learning new stuff all the time. Thanks for sharing that.

#36 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

Northern Pacific.http://www.californi...o.oreganus.htmlI have checked this site out before .Years ago I found a olive green garter snake had no strips and didn't now what it was.I have never seen another since then either.I remember reaching down and petting it to It sure was docile.We have a lot of species of snakes here in CA.

#37 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:48 AM

That's cool, I didn't know that they came in different colors. I just thought they were all green. I keep learning new stuff all the time. Thanks for sharing that.

Any time. Noticed you hail from Ridgecresst. Gotta love a Friday or Saturday night at Tommy T's!!!

#38 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

I have a two shot .38 special derringer that I used my own handload snake shot in. Works great for snakes and the pistol weighs very little and conceals nicely in a pocket.Darren

#39 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

one time I held down a rattlers head with a stick and my buddy blew it away with my 270 .I would never do that again I was scared I didn't know were the head went after the blast.Sorry I hijacked your thread Bruce. I had some snake shot for my 45 1911 and it would not cycle but it still works I just had to rack the slide.With your glock just use regular ammo it works on them fine.I bet you can rack it fast when you have to.With my 22 marlin I had to dig the case out with a small flat screw driver.I have not tried any in my 40-xd yet.Let us know how it works when you get them.

#40 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

I have a two shot .38 special derringer that I used my own handload snake shot in. Works great for snakes and the pistol weighs very little and conceals nicely in a pocket.Darren

I have one of those too...don't ask me why. The snake shot should arrive any day...will take it to the range for a quick pattern test.

#41 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

I see you've been to the most boring town in the entire world. I've never stopped by Tommy T's before. I went to the bar on the other end of town by the movies, though. It was the middle of the afternoon and my old lady and me had just got tickets for the show. We had to wait a while for the movie to start, so we went next door and had a few drinks. It was kinda slow at that time, but it was an alright place. I think it's a biker joint. Can't say as I really miss Ridgecrest much, but I do got family there still, so I guess it ain't all that bad. I haven't been there in a while. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one on here that knows where that place is (100 miles from nowhere and 3 feet from hell).

#42 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

The snake shot should arrive any day...will take it to the range for a quick pattern test.

You're gonna pattern snake shot??

#43 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

I did on my own handloads. Nice softball sized group at 10 yards out of my 2 shot derringer. Works great! Bullseye also tested it out of his .38 snubby and it worked well in his as well. I believe I published my load for that some time ago in the reloading forum if anyone is interested.Darren

#44 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

Years ago my grandfather decided to test pattern some home-made snake shot with gas checks and shot on the garage door. It left a beautiful 5 inch circle right through both sides of the door! Wish i had taken a picture of it. He left it that way for years. I still have some of his shot shells to this day. They seemed to work pretty well, don't ya think.Posted Image

#45 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Well the snake shot that arrived didn't have the blue plastic, they are the same as those shown earlier in this thread. They don't eject however they do make a big center hole and perfect 10" round spray pattern. Just hate that they don't eject properly.

#46 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

You're gonna pattern snake shot??

What's the best choke for that :good:

#47 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

I did on my own handloads. Nice softball sized group at 10 yards out of my 2 shot derringer. Works great! Bullseye also tested it out of his .38 snubby and it worked well in his as well. I believe I published my load for that some time ago in the reloading forum if anyone is interested.Darren

They shot great out of my 38 and the best part is that they are lead free.

#48 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Nothing like walking through a dense tangle of woods in the early dawn on the way to a favorite duck hunting pond and getting a face full of Orb spider web compete with spider. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: I night hunt for black widows too Ed. I still get that creepy feeling every time I flick their web and she come charging out to catch whatever tripped her web. :o I remember crawling under a truck once that had been setting in a field. We had dragged it out to pull the transmission. I brushed all of the webs away and slid under the truck on a creeper when widows just started jumping down to get away. I guess that freaked me out and before you know it I got bit on the back of my upper arm. I was sicker than a dog and thought I was going to die. How a spider could cause that reaction I don't know. Those creep monsters have given me the heebee jeebees ever since. My skin is crawling just thinking about them. I'll probably have nightmares about them tonight. :lol: I hope my wife doesn't get upset if I swat her thinking she's a black widow. :D Iwonder if they sell spider shot!

I have just the thing for you. Hot Shot Spider Killer.Kills on Contact.I use it extensively on Black Widows. Very Subtle....You spray them, they go nuts trying to figure out what and where,and then they die.You don't even have to get a direct hit. No Odor/Non-Staining.Kills other stuff to as a side benefit. During the Summer I go out around 9pm with a can and a flashlight.If you catch the shadow without getting the light directly on them, they don't run.Works for me........ :)

#49 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,582 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

I'll have to look for that stuff. I love a good night raid on the Black widows. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#50 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:28 AM

You can make 45 ACP snake rounds that cycle but the die set is not cheap I gave the info to my boss at the time he was the gun room manager at the Grant Boys in the 1980s I believe his name was Paul Anyway you order the Shot shell Die set from RCBS and cut down 308 or 30/06 brass it comes with a reamer If I remember and form die as the case is made the length of a loaded round and uses a cut down 410 wad the article is from Hand loader I ordered a die set for my 44 Ruger Red Hawk uses 30/40 Kraig brass full length cylinder 410 wad and load of #9 shot a cardboard top and good to goWill up load a picture laterFound this there crimped like blankshttp://shop.reedsamm...p;categoryId=-1Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLCExcellence In Pursuit Of Perfection * 1209 SW 129th ST Oklahoma City, OK 73170 info@reedsammo.com * sales@reedsammo.com*.45 ACP Shot Shells 150g #12 chilled ShotBack in production by popular demand! The Viper line of ammunition. This ammunition is .45 ACP loaded with 150g of #12 size chilled (apx. 750ct).This ammunition will not hurt your rifling in any way. The brass has an integral shoulder for proper head-spacing in semi-automatic pistols. Most pistols will cycle correctly with the original recoil spring. If you have increased your spring weight, it may not cycle; however a quick hand cycle of the slide will chamber a fresh round. They are crimped in a star pattern with a round profile for positive feeding from the magazine. This ammunition is designed for small pest control and especially snakes (hence the Viper name). This is a must for those who hike, camp, or fish in areas that snakes may be present. Center the bore-line with the head of the snake, pull the trigger, and your snake problem is solved. Packaged 25 rounds per boxhttp://www.thehighro...ad.php?t=148537The pattern is roughly a 3-4 foot circle at 20 feet. While that is not near what a shotgun will pattern, it is fully acceptable for a load of this type. With #12 shot a 3' circle will have about 650-700 pellets in it. That's 8.25 pellets per square inch! ((1.5*1.5)*3.14 = 7.065' 7.605*12 = 84.78" 700/84.78 = 8.25) If we are looking at the 7 1/2 shot that is 1.3 pellets per square inch. Again perfectly acceptable for a snake, but better yet for small game as the large pellets will retain more energy and penetrate deeper.We did not chronograph the loads, so I cannot give you a velocity figure. In ballistic gel the 7 1/2 pellets penetrated on average 8". The #12 shot penetrated 5-6". We have two loads available 7 1/2 and 12. Both are apx 150g and both cycle, feed, and function in all the .45 autos we tested them in. Noise is a bit less than a regular load, but as with all firearms you should wear hearing protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users