• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

I found in my dads stuff a pair of binoculars that I know hes had since the mid 1960s they were made by Jason Sport and are 7x50. they seem to be of good quality, they are easily focused and are very clear. the papers with them say " Lenses ground in Japan". do any of you know anything about them? the other question is about the Bino harneses Ive seen advertised. these are very heavy, they say "Made of Magnisieum" but feel more like lead! they have a thin strap but Id like to have something more secure to hold them from. Do any of you guys use a harness? and How about the lock down pouches? Ive never used Binos before, I always had spotting scopes, So this is something new. DR

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

I can't help you with the glass, but I can tell you that I took the advise of many on here and got the Crooked Horn Bino Harness and it is to die for. Worth its weight in gold. I also got the Bino Shield (Crooked Horn also) that helps to keep them from flopping around along with keeping them covered. It does everything it is supposed to. Even while on the ATV's they don't bounce around on me :good: .

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

I use the harness in Africa where I have a lot of walking to do. They're comfortable and keep the binoculars out of the way if you need to mount the gun in a hurry.

Here's some information on Jason Binoculars:
http://www.opticsrev...binoculars.html
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Bisley thats exactly what I was looking for! DR

#5 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

I have a crooked horn and a cabelas brand harness and the cover in the cabelas both are great quality and save a sore neck and are very comfy. My friend calls them the bra and panties though

#6 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Another thumbs up for the bino harness. Don't know how I got along without one for so long.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Any time. Thanks to the others on here too, for without their advise I wouldn't have mine. What's really nice about the Bino Shield also (besides no movement at all from the binos) is the zippered pocket in front just perfect for a lens pen and microfiber cloth. Especially when you wear glasses and your greasy fingered nephews never use the eye cups and dirty both lenses :rolleyes:

#8 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

I use the harness in Africa where I have a lot of walking to do. They're comfortable and keep the binoculars out of the way if you need to mount the gun in a hurry.

Here's some information on Jason Binoculars:
http://www.opticsrev...binoculars.html

Thanks for the link also. After some reading I found that they were made between 1965 and 69. At that time they were a higher end Bino but with the advances in lens coatings within the last few years they now would compare to mid - low end units. It said they compare well with Leopold Yosemite Binos. According to Optics planet, the Leopolds are conciderably lighter! These may serve us best as back porch glasses for the wife to watch the deer and other animals as they pass through our place. she has a small set of compacts that she has used for years to watch the Quail. When I get around to selling some of his stuff A nice pair of Binos might be just the thing! DR

#9 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

They were probably great - keep them as a memento and occasional use. Get yourself a good new pair. the quality of glass and lens coatings has evolved many times over since then, let alone weight reductions. I have a nice set of REI branded 10x40s that I use and have been VERY happy with, and if I remember they were under (barely) $100. Great low light, never fogged in some pretty trying situations.

#10 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

I, also, use the Crooked Horn Bino Shield... BUT my harness is from OP/TECH. They sell an array of compatible connectors that allow me to connect my bulky Canon DSLR camera to the harness. A couple more clips allow me to carry the binos or camera from the shoulder straps on my backpack.
Check them out if you want versatility. http://optechusa.com...connectors.html
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users