• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

Went out yesterday with our group on a party boat. !4 of us and we caught 14 fish, biggest being 20#. Now the rest of the story. The DF & G boys were out in force and checked us. 5 guys (not me) were using the wrong kinda hooks. It took at least 2 1/2 hrs. of them screwing around writing tickets, plus they wrote the deckhand a ticket for allowing the illegal hooks. All right in the middle of the prime fishing time. Spoiled a nice day.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

Makes you wonder if all party boats have that many violators.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:19 AM

That hook thing has been around for awhile. :angry: You can't even have them with you out there. ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

Have you always fished out of Monterey Dale?

I don't know where "Monterey Dale" is, but he caught those at Monterey! :angry:

Time waits for no one--

#5 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

It's not that fur from Oakdale and north of Oildale.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:59 AM

That makes things much clearer. :angry:

Time waits for no one--

#7 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

So those boys had there own equipment or those hooks were supplied by the party boat? If so that sucks if they have to pay the ticket.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

Clear as mud for me!

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:36 PM

All the equipment was ours, including the setups. (hooks) We don't think it's going to stick on the crew and had an atty. with us who is going to deal with it for the boat. It appears the dfg is trying to see if they can make something stick onto the crew, they cited a bunch of different sections of the regs. that weren't really applicable. I think thats what took them so long. mr mr I fish wherever they are biting and the closer the better to the harbor. Monterey is good cause its close and when the fish are in it can be very good. HMB, the GG, and BB all can be good at times just depends.

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

What kind of hooks are these that are illegal.can some one post a pic if they can.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:09 PM

Have you tried the CA fishing Regs?http://www.dfg.ca.go...lmonsport06.pdf

#12 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

You must use circle hooks which are barbless and of a certain size for mooching. It's a BS law that came to pass because of the commercial guys putting pressure on F&G due to the moochers catching lots of fish and the trollers weren't. Makes no sense cause the limit is still two with a min. length and the commercial guys could catch all they could. If a private boat is trolling You can use barbless J hooks.

#13 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

I am heading out tomorrow (Saturday) to fish for the 'other pink meat'.I have been invited on a pvt boat and I am looking forward to it!I will report on the results.GET BIT!!Kevin
Life Member: NRA, VHA, O.T.H.G. Member: CPC.I Do What The Voices In My Tackel Box Tell Me To Do . . .

#14 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:59 AM

Hello CPC folks,It was a long day on the pond for no joy.Frank had invited me out on his 18.5 Walkaround Trophy yesterday in the hunt for some nice Silver Salmons.We launched and cleared the Santa Cruz harbor around 7:30 AM and headed for the Soquel Hole. The water on the way out was like glass and at 30 MPH we were at the Hole with the rest of the fleet in no time. We metered fish at the hole and dropped the downriggers in. We were running Watermelon flashers with Crippled Herrings. Most of the folks were trolling North/South, with a few Bozo?s trolling East/West. Frank had his rig at 150 - 200 feet and I had mine at 100 - 150. Nothing but radio chatter in the air for the next two hours. We then moved to the Slide area for the same result. No joy. Still lots of radio chatter and growing reports of ?radio fish?. Funny . . . all the time we fished with the fleet . . . I didn?t see a single bent rod or a single net touched.We slid well south of the fleet off of Paharo (sp) Dunes for the same result: nada. We tried mooching, tried changing over to Anchovies, we tried changing over to Hoochies. We headed into the ?shallow? water @ 100 - 120 feet.Back out to the Monterey Buoy and deep water . . . nada.Around 1:00 or so there was lots of chatter of ?it is getting rough out here and we are heading back in? (with limits of course :angry: ). Huh? Rough? 3 foot waves spaced about 10 seconds apart with a 5 ? 8 knot wind. The only thought in my head was these folks don?t fish much . . . rough? Allrightfinethen.At about 4:15 we decided to cut and run back to the barn. We did get into some sloppy stuff on the way ?uphill?, but nothing to write home about at all.Pulled and washed the boat and gear down at about 5:15 or so.All in all it was a nice day on the pond . . . I wished the sun would have burned through and we had some fish to show for our efforts, but it was good to get on the water again.Kevin
Life Member: NRA, VHA, O.T.H.G. Member: CPC.I Do What The Voices In My Tackel Box Tell Me To Do . . .

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

Sounds like you had a great time for the day, even if you didn't have any fish to clean. On second thought, maybe that is a good thing. :angry:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#16 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:54 AM

A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days ___________(fill in the blank) :)Work in my case. No boss and italian food on company account :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users