• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I got a new headlamp as a door prise. its a Streamlight sidewinder. Its bright and lightweight. it has a white spotlight and both blue and red flood lights. I assume the collored lights are to keep your night vision , but it also has an IR illuminator. Im guessing its for Night vission goggles? Has anyone else used one of these? Im also guessing it was designed for the millitary. tomorow morning when I feed the horses at O dark thirty Ill test the blue and red lamps. DR

#2 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

In my opinion, you can't do better than Streamlight. I rely on my flashlights and I only buy Streamlight.A story:My father-in-law was burning a brush-pile in our pasture after dark and he took one of my Streamlight Stingers out there with him. Too many beers later, he was done burning the pile and my Stinger was nowhere to be found. Life goes on, but that was an expensive flashlight to lose out of carelessness...TWO YEARS LATER, no joke, I was out mowing in the springtime in that pasture. I looked down and noticed, in the muddy ground, what appeared to be the outline of my Stinger. I dug it up and it was in fact the very Stinger. I wiped it off, took it in the house and put it in the charger, and when I came back a few hours later, I turned it on and it worked like nothing ever happened.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

I learned something new and cool. the red light is only good at very close range. I could see the path I was walking on but If I didnt know where I was going it wouldnt be much help. It didnt illuminate a very wide area. So I tried the Blue light. it flooded the area and was much better for walking. but what I could see best was that it made the dew on the grass glow! And where I had walked through the grass My footprints showed dark! Even our lab showed perfect prints! when I walked up onto the porch my damp footprints still showed. So if Im ever in a tracking situation at night, Its blue light!Recon I know what you mean about quality I have a streamlight thats 18 years old. its only on its second set of batterys. I got this one at a meeting of law enforcement buyers. I can see where the blue light would be handy! DR

#4 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have a friend who is a helicopter pilot. He says the blue lights stand out like nothing else from up above.

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Grant just gave me a very nice headlamp, but the battery, or the charger didn't work, so I ordered two battery's and a charger.It should be here soon.Tom

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

The Headlamp that Tom is referring to is the Cree headlamp. They are LED lights with 3 position switch. High, low, and strobe. The lens is an adjustable beam and the ammount of light these thigs throw out is incredible. With a full charged battery they can last over 2 hours continuous on High. You can find them On EBAY and lots of night hunters are using them Both for scanning and also as a kill light. The Head lamp with battery and charger are usually less that $20 on EBAY. The cool thing is that they are less than 4 volts making them legal state wide. Here is a pic of one. The white piece on the lens is a PVC coupling that slips snugly onto it. I used some Amber gel paper and glued it to the PVC fitting. It comes off easily and you wont ruin the lens by using a sharpie to color it. Using different gel papers a Guy could pick a color and change it very quickly. Positive ID with the amber Id say is easily 100-150 yards maybe different on really dark nights. If a Guy wants to dabble in night hunting to see if he likes it, Its a small ammount compared to some of the stuff that is out there. Id suggest checking them out. Good luck.Posted ImagePosted ImageNote... the light is so bright it Illuminates the PVC fitting. A wrap of elec tape or a coat of paint can fix that.

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

I have a friend who is a helicopter pilot. He says the blue lights stand out like nothing else from up above.

That will come in handy if I want to be seen by a helicopter! DR

#8 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

:dead horse: You never know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users