13 replies to this topic

#1 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

So everything is all turned in for the wife daughter and I so let the judging begin.

Yesterday wife's almond champagne cupcakes won their class and division but were edged out for best of show by a coconut cream pie

Daughters decorated sugar cookies giant zucchini regular zucchini peppers and flower arrangements are being judged today

Friday I am up with my dill pickles habanero pineapple jam and wine jelly

Does anyone else participate in the county fairs. It was really interested watching the judge of the baked goods this gal was in her eighties and just a crack up to watch and listen to.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Best of luck, let us know how you do! We'll keep our finger crossed.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Id sure like ti hear more about that habenero jam! Make sure you take pics if the same 80yr old woman tastes it. :crazy:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#4 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

I am really jealous of you guy's culinary masterpeices. Lol I can make coffee, fry an egg, cook a steak, other than that I am pretty limited. Oh I have mastered opening a beer can also. My mother was a good cook, ranch wife, my ex was a gormet cook. So I like good food. And I applaud your skills. Ed

#5 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

That fair sounds like a great time. Some pretty interesting foods.

Ed,
I was like you, not much cooking beyond a steak and a beer...until I got married. :doh[1]:
Now I cook quite a bit. Mostly I grill (hot fire, fast cook) or BBQ (slow smoking). I also do some other cooking. I belong to a couple BBQ forums that have monthly contests and have won a couple. Lots of fun. But the Dr told me to watch my chloresterol lately. Bummer.

But I can open a mean beer still.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Oh I have mastered opening a beer can also.

We need to get together some time, I've been told I can pack one heck of a mean ice chest! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Best of luck to your whole family. Sounds like you guys really know what you're doing. I can't boil water so I only participate in the food court and make donations to the beer stands since I'm not allowed near the stands with the whiskey anymore when there's livestock around :smiley-outta-here:

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Nitis :

Are they going to the Mid State Fair in Paso ????

Break a leg on the competitions .

I wish I had taken more interest in my great aunts baking when I was a kid . After she passed , we found lots of blue ribbons from the LA fair . She was selling pies n cakes into her 70's .

Also my GF LOVES all of the fried foods they offer . Somedays she would walk to the fair , pay to get in just for the " snack " foods .

Andy

#8 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

We are at the amador county fair

Ok so daughter got 4 firsts and 2 second place ribbons! Not sure how giant vegetable was second when it was twice as big as the first Place winner but oh we'll

So I went and sized up my competition. Pickles looks like I have a couple to go up against I just hope I picked a good jar I had a few jars were the pickles didn't stay crisp for some reason.

And unbelievably no one else entered the wine jelly but me!

Finally my habanero pineapple jam is in deep. It's class is any combination which means there are thirteen others to contend with various berries and quince etc. hopefully mine can Prevail. Judging at 10 am tomorrow

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Congrats to your daughter and best wishes in your divisions. :good:

Time waits for no one--

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Congratulations to your daughter. We need to see som epictues of her entries and one of her smiling face with the ribbons. And good luck to you.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Man who knew little old ladies could be so tough.

Pickles got third in class. That judge didn't say much so for all I know I could of had a jar that the cakes didn't stay crisp as for some reason this year I had a few jars go soft

My wine jell got a second as I gues I grabbed the only jar that I didn't clean well as the ring was sticky to get off and the jelly itself just didn't set up as well as I had hoped a little too soft

Finally my pride and joy got slammed. The habanero pineapple jam was in a tough class anyway but the judge said it was more of the consistency of a jelly. Talking to her later she said she really liked it but it was just in the wrong class

Anyway lots of lessons learned here. I will post pics later once I get them off my phone

To any of you guys who make anything like this you should seriously lOok into entering in your local fairs. Entries are down and it's really dying off. It's cheap to enter and it's very interesting and educational

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Man who knew little old ladies could be so tough.

:smiley-funny-post-sign: They can be the worst or maybe I should say the best when it comes to canning. My grandmother and my great aunt were the best I've ever seen. My great aunt used to win ribbons at the State Fair but back then I was to small to care except when she was making stuff I got to test it. Sounds like you did okay to me. You've got me thinking maybe next year I'll enter our county fair.

Time waits for no one--

#13 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Maybe next year the Old ladys will have better tastebuds? Sounds like you had a good time regardless of the outcome. Congrats on your accomplishments!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#14 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

ok still working on pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users