• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

I took the girls out for a little weekend trout fishing in the eastern sierras. Kind of an end of the summer trip before they head back to school. They've been spending the summer down at the beach catching surf perch, so I thought getting them out to fish for something else would be a good time.

On the way up we stopped off at a few spots to just explore. We ran into some wild desert donkeys that clearly thought we were there to feed them. At one point four of them had their heads in the truck. We took a few photos and got out of there.

We got to the lake late, set up camp and grabbed dinner. The next morning we hit the lake to catch some trout. We met my friends Rito and Jose and their friends and family up at the camp ground.
There was a total of seventeen of us, with nine kids.

That first morning Jessica was on fire, catching two of the first three. We broke for lunch and were back on the lake at 3:30 PM for the evening bite. We eneded up catching eight more before calling it a day. Jessica caught four, Alyssa four and me three.

The next morning we were back at it. I was all set to make pancakes for breakfast, but the girls wanted to fish and 'volunteered' to snack on pop tarts to get to the lake earlier. Once we got there the catching continued. Jessica once again lead the way catching the first three. We caught eight total that morning and again broke for lunch. After lunch and a hike, we were back on the lake for the afternoon bite. Jessica again scored first with her fourth and fifth fish. It was her first ever trout limit, so after a quick photo, we let the trout go. In fact that second day we let all the fish go.

Early Sunday morning we had to deal with a pretty intense thunder and lightening storm, but all remained dry in the tent and the girls braved through it. Probably the best camping trip I've ever been on. Jessica took first place in the kids fishing contest and took home her first fishing trophy. I don't know what we were doing, but our group out fished the other group 24 to 5.

The crazy donkey encounter.
Posted Image

At camp eating breakfast in Tawnoper Camo getting ready to go fishing.
Posted Image

Jessica showing us how it's done.
Posted Image

Alyssa trying to keep up with her younger sister.
Posted Image

I couldn't let them have all the fun.
Posted Image

Jessica's very first limit fish. Can you tell how proud she is?
Posted Image

Our group photo at the end of day one. This one's going up on the wall.
Posted Image

I will say this, these two girls can fish! We had a blast!

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Great story, photos and sounded like a fantastic time! :) It's great that you take the time to spend time with you children in the outdoors. So many kids are glued to the TV and their video games systems anymore that many of them don't even know what fishing or hunting are. It looks like you are doing a great job. :good: It looks like the wild donkeys were a little bit scary from the photo. Maybe?

I wish my daughter had the patience to sit and fish. She is only seven though and right now cares more about playing than sitting still. When I take her fishing she does catch fish, but she misses catching allot of fish too because she's not anywhere near her fishing pole when the fish are bitting. :( One of these days I'll have to take her fishing for trout though, she might be more excited about bigger fish. ;)

#3 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

The donkey photo was more out of shock than fear. She was taking pictures of the two on my side of the car when I noticed this one resting it's chin on my truck. I told Alyssa she has a friend and I just happened to catch the shock on her face. She's the one that didn't want to leave the donkeys.

I started taking Alyssa target shooting at age seven and she took to it. The following week we went coyote hunting and she made eight stands with me, and she just wanted to keep calling. Jessica is slowly getting into hunting/shooting, but she is a fishing machine. She'd still be out there if we didn't have to come home.

Of the nine kids, Alyssa and Jessica were the only girls. Once they started catching trout and beating the boys, they didn't want to stop. At 24 to 5 it wasn't even close...and they liked that.

#4 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Great story, photos and sounded like a fantastic time! :) It's great that you take the time to spend time with you children in the outdoors. So many kids are glued to the TV and their video games systems anymore that many of them don't even know what fishing or hunting are. It looks like you are doing a great job. :good: It looks like the wild donkeys were a little bit scary from the photo. Maybe?

I wish my daughter had the patience to sit and fish. She is only seven though and right now cares more about playing than sitting still. When I take her fishing she does catch fish, but she misses catching allot of fish too because she's not anywhere near her fishing pole when the fish are bitting. :( One of these days I'll have to take her fishing for trout though, she might be more excited about bigger fish. ;)

WHy I did Hat Creek - Stocked weekly. My girls have no patience yet either, so we go and if we get a couple in teh first 30 minutes or so, we are good!

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Good stuff Tim. I love it up there.

#6 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Great read and photos! making good kids and memories.

#7 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Good stuff Tim. I love it up there.

Ed, I will say that I haven't spent a whole lot of time up there in my youth, but these last five years, as you know, I've made a handful of trips up there. I have to say I've enjoyed it. I'm glad I can share that with the girls.

#8 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

Great pictures! I plan on doing the same things with my kids starting friday morning. I think it is great to get kids outdoors. I have to admit though. I like the trout fishing as much now as when I was a kid.

#9 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Another great story with pictures of you and the girls. A very nice stringer of trout too.

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Awsome stuff. Great pictures and story. :good:

#11 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Great report, You are a very blessed man.
Tom

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Looks like you all had a great time, :signs1180lq: .
If you have never done so, you should do yourself and the kids a favor and stop by either the Mt Whitney or Black Rock fish hatcheries (or both) right out of Independence. It is really a treat, even for the grown up kids. Nothing like seeing the brooders in the Whitney pond or the tons of stock fish in the runners. And if they still have them, the hybrid Tiger Trout are really a sight to behold. They used to raise them at Black Rock. Just a thought for the next time you head up there. Most everybody tends to enjoy the stop.

#13 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

I'll keep that hatchery stop in mind. We drove right by it and if it wasn't so hot, we would've made the stop. I'm sure the girls would've loved it.

#14 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

Nice looks like they love to fish and you got some tasty ones for dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users