• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Well I joined the reloading world this weekend with reloading some 22-250 40 grain v-maxes for an urban load . 37.7 grain of IMR 4895 keeps them inside a dime @ 100 yds. I tried 6 different loads before I settled on that one. A special Thanks to Shooter John who inspired me to do so ,and with alot of good help , and to Frank who gave me some of his tips also. Next will be a set of dies for the 357 sig ,as the 90 grain bullets I like are very expensive. I am sure there is going to be lots of questions about the roll crimp that I am going to have ,as I read that that is what that case sets its headspace on. EHD...

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hey, congratulations! Welcome to reloading. I was inspired and coached by guys on this forum, too. Good people. Sounds like you found a nice load for your .22-250. I was shooting some TTSX 130 grain loads using IMR 4895 out of my .30-06 today and had some good results, too. I really like IMR 4895 for 130-150 grain bullets.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Well, Eric, you're on a roll now, & good for you. Handloading, or "rolling your own" as some say, adds even more pleasure and satisfaction to your shooting and hunting, in knowing that YOU had made those rounds specificly for the game intended. Much more satisfaction! :dead horse:

#4 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

Well good for you EHD. I think you'll really enjoy reloading. I've always felt it's a natural progression for most guys that shoot/hunt. There is a sense of satisfaction making your own rounds and IMO helps you become a better shot to boot. Once you have a better understanding of what a bullet does and how things work it can only help. Whether you are trying to improve accuracy or just want to load up some rounds that go bang it's a fun hobby. I can't remember how many times we've planned a last minute hunt for the next morning and I ran out to the garage and put together a box of rounds...convenient.With the 357 Sig you sure picked a bastard round for your first attempt at a pistol round. Most straight walled cases like 45acp headspace off the mouth...no big deal. When you load for a straight wall case you bell the mouth of the case slightly to be able to start seating the bullet. Without a slight bell you would probably collapse the case trying to seat the bullet. At the end of the seating stroke the built in crimp of the die will reduce the bell of the case you created back to straight wall dimension. The 357 Sig is a bottleneck case. Some say on the Sig it headspaces on the mouth, others say the shoulder...most (all) bottleneck cases head space off the shoulder (like your 22-250). If you don't set the shoulder back on your sig it will cause you problems regardless if your case length is within spec.

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Tawnoper. I am putting the sig on the back burner until I get a better understanding for it.I might choose to work with the 40 sand w . A barrel for my glock is cheap, and the 40 is an easier case to load? I bought 243 dies, so i am hooked bad for sure now. I love the precision and detail to the work of reloading. My shop is getting full with all the snare making supplys and all the other stuff to do with heavy construction, I am running out of room.

#6 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Yep, 40SW is straight forward. It's also the parent case of the 357 Sig.

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

I did work up a nice load today for the 243. 42.0 grains of 8208 xbr with winchester primers and remmy brass with a 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip. Shoots a one hole group @ 100 yards. Nice powder to work with. It throws nice and even., but I still build the load on the scale each cartridge. I tried 38.0 grains in the 22-250 with 40 grain v-max but the 4895 was more accurate, so far. still working on that.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

4895 also works great in the 243.

#9 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

I have no experience with pistol rounds, but while I was trying to figure out the operation of a rifle seating die, I found this video on youtube and I think it may apply to this discussion:

#10 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Congrats EHD,It has been a lot of fun for me. Don't forget, reloading is like owning a Harley Davidson.It is just a place to mount all of the extra goodies. I have already started building a clean room to reload.Tom

#11 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

I have been loading alot of 243 and the sig rounds, shooting between the 2, about 100 rounds per week. It has really helped my pistol ability not shooting full throttle loads, and feels easier on the pistol too.I have been doing some long range target shooting at my metal targets with some 100 grain sierra. Fun to shoot.And real fun to load. I like going out after work and pecking around getting the brass cleaned up,inspected trimmed and sized.I have found building a load frustrating when it doesnt go your way, but very rewarding when it comes together.I have almost paid for my reloading equipment in a Month just with the pistol ammo. I was getting raped on the 357 sig ammo. For premium 90 grain stuff ,it was about 40.00 for 20 rounds after shipping and haz.handling.With my brass, that cost is about 3.00

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

I have found building a load frustrating when it doesnt go your way, but very rewarding when it comes together.

AMEN!!! But as you are seeing, the end results are sure worth it. Glad to hear it's working out for you.

#13 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Its a lot of fun - and allows you to shoot some great calibers that don't have a great selection of factory ammo -

#14 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

one caliber that i have wanted was the22 hornet ,but steered away from because of its inaccuracy.

#15 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Are you planning on shooting bench rest matches with the Hornet? They shoot PLENTY accurate for field use. Great little round. Most of the stuff you read online about the Hornet (or most everything) have been written by people who have no experience with what they are writing about.I shoot my Hornet all the time...not too many calibers out there that are as fun to shoot. Low report, use minimal powder, don't heat up. One of my favorites. Just keep in mind of what it is. Don't believe everything you read Eric.

#16 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Lots of this can be taken care of with your reloading! It is a great little cartridge, but you have to cater to your rifles twist rate, and what bullets you want to use. I knew a couple of people that had them and sold them as they weren't accurate, but they were trying to push teh bullets way past what teh little cartridge was designed for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users