• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 JakeKelley

JakeKelley

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt ducks and upland birds, fish, backpack, and do archery.

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

Well sadly the woman my dad was thinking about buying the smith and wesson from is really not a good smith and wesson. It has a 1" barrel and is a .38. Totally not what we thought. So now my dad is deciding again between a smith and wesson and the Colt. We are still in Arizona and haven't tested them yet.

#32 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:45 AM

My dad is getting a revolver for home protection as well as protection on our long hikes and fishing trips. He wants a Colt but they are 1300 dollars. Someone who works with him has a 6 1/2 M-29 44 smith and wesson they want to get rid of. They are willing to sell it for around 500-600 dollars. Should my dad wait and save up for the colt 45 or buy the smith and wesson?

If the gun is for protection then I would go with a double action and a lot smaller then a large frame revolver.You need to be able to shoot fast and keep your senses about you. Try shooting a 44 at night with no ear protection in your house and see how that works! :drool:

#33 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

You are kidding right? If not, that really is 2 cents worth of advice :drool: ! I'm sure whoever you live with, your neighbors, and the police, will not understand shooting a 44 inside your home as a test.

#34 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

Yes I am joking. :drool: What I was trying to point out is that for self defense a 44 or Colt 45 would not be my first choice.

#35 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

And why not? .44 specials are very tame and very effective. If push came to shove and you ever really have to use it, you would never know the difference between a .44 and a .22 anyways because of adrenaline. When's the last time you thought about recoil before you fired at something other than paper? 1 gun, 2 worlds. Specials for home, and mags for field work. Kinda makes more sense than a .38 or 1911 to me.

#36 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:11 AM

The 44 special would work. It is still has a heavy frame. In a home invasion with two or even four bad guys coming in you will need to shoot fast at multiple targets in a confined space. A large frame revolver is not my first choice. You have to remember, the bad guys know they are coming, you are caught by surprise. You need every advantage you can get. Answer to problem, buy more guns. Some for home and some for the field!

#37 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

The best gun to use for home defense is one you can shoot effectively. Whatever it is.I think people create these scenerios in their mind like they are part of some kind of special armed forces or something. Arm yourself with something you are comfortable using...then hope and pray you never have to use it.

#38 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

The best gun to use for home defense is one you can shoot effectively. Whatever it is.I think people create these scenerios in their mind like they are part of some kind of special armed forces or something. Arm yourself with something you are comfortable using...then hope and pray you never have to use it.

Perfectly put. Like the guy last year that had to kill the brown bear with his 1911. You tell that bear it won't work. Of the 3,000 plus members here, how many have ever actually had a confrontation in their home? Heck, how many just know anybody that has had one. Way, way too much overthinking. I have always said that your upland shotgun and standard sidearm are plenty. Why is it you can aim a full barreled shotgun in the field and not hit bushes or trees, but we can't use it in a house with walls? The "tactical" fad is out of control. If you hear glass break in the middle of the night, are you going to get you tactical vest out of the closet, put it on, look for your special home defense handgun among the others, and go see what's wrong? NO! Your gonna grab old faithful by you in bed and go see what's up. Odds are that even if you have to shoot, 1 shot and they're fleeing. Remember this, even the cops, who expect trouble when you report someone in your house, only carry one standard pistol and an extra mag.

#39 JakeKelley

JakeKelley

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt ducks and upland birds, fish, backpack, and do archery.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

Agreed. My dad is much more comfortable with large frame revolvers vs. small frame. If you stuck a 2 1/2" barrel revolver in his hand he probably would miss. Sadly now my dad loves both the colt and smith and wesson and wishes he could get both. :roflmao3[1]:

#40 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Not sad, just goes to show he has good taste :archer-green:

#41 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:04 AM

Hi Jake, get the S&W first for the reasons Shooter John and Bisley said. Double action and 44 special loads for indoors. If you really think of this gun as a self defense weapon do not get a ported barrel. The blow back indoors is incredible, even ear plugs don't help much... :good: If you plan on having a gun for self defense you better plan on using it. You need to at least think about the different scenarios you might be in. Just like setting up a stand for coyotes. You try to picture every scenario. At least I do. If in your mind that makes me pseudo special forces, so be it. I call it being prepared. Don't get me wrong, I love my Dan Wesson 44 and my Dan Wesson 445 Alaskan. Just not my first choice when I feel threatened in my home. Neither is a shotgun with a 28" barrel. But if that is all you have then use it.And yes, I have personally known someone who was a victim of a home invasion. They were beaten, tortured and robbed then left tied up. A friend of my Mom was beaten, tortured and along with her son, killed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users