9 replies to this topic

#1 Rockcrawlinredneck

Rockcrawlinredneck

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

I am trying to find a scope to fit my needs for my new AR build. I am building a 20", SS bull barrel, 1/8 twist, bench/varmiter. For the most part I plan to shoot from a rest/bi-pod in the field or a bench at the range. I am building this one as a paper puncher and a "blind" sit and snipe varmit/coyote rifle out to approx. 400ish yards. I am looking to spend around $350-$400. I dont want alluminated reticle, I dont think I would like it being color blind. I am wanting something with a fairly high zoom to see varmits clearly at 400ish yards but still a wide enough range of zoom to turn it down incase I feel like packing a 12 pound gun in the field walking and shooting some what close up. I think I am gonna try a heavier bullet out of of this rifle so 60g-65g bullet will probally be the prefered bullet weight. I think I have provided enough info to make an educated suggestion, if you are wanting more info, let me know. If for some reason I can jump to a whole different league of clairity(sp) and quality for a little amount more I will probally do so.

#2 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Check out Konus USA or vortex they seem to be pretty good quality for scopes in that price range.

#3 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Check out Hawke optics.

#4 Rockcrawlinredneck

Rockcrawlinredneck

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Do you or anyone one else have any experiance with this Hawke scope? I really dont want Illuminated, but most of the Hawkes are.

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Just hang in there and Red will be along to give you all the specs, etc.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have a Nikon 4-16x42 SF Mildot on my .308 AR - I would say go with the same, but step up to the 50mm objective to get best dawn/dusk/overcast light. You can get away with 4x or maybe 5x by up close and do both eyes open (both closed never seemed to work for me), higher low-end and close gets tricky. Depending on your own version of 'close'... I picked that for similar to what you are talking about 25 yards out to 400 or so, with the capability to go beyond 400. 2 cents -

#7 Rockcrawlinredneck

Rockcrawlinredneck

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

25 yards was exactly what I meant by "close"! I am off to check that scope out, what model line is it? I have Nikon's on 2 of my deer rifles and a set of bino's, I have been very impressed/happy with the Nikon products! I was looking at the M223, but I think I want a little more zoom than it offers.

#8 Jay61cal

Jay61cal

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors person who loves to fish and wanting to get back into hunting...

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Swfa.com has the nikons on sale right now until march 11th...great scopes for a great price :)

#9 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

25 yards was exactly what I meant by "close"! I am off to check that scope out, what model line is it? I have Nikon's on 2 of my deer rifles and a set of bino's, I have been very impressed/happy with the Nikon products! I was looking at the M223, but I think I want a little more zoom than it offers.

http://www.nikonhunt...cus_Mildot/8423It is great glass, crystal clear, and real good consistency of eye relief full range. For the prices (they pop up on sale at various places all the time) hard scoped to beat. Have a friend stuck on having to have a Leu, and so settling for a lower version based on fundage and not getting that he can get a better scope for the same money. Like I said though - really wish I would have just went for the 50mm Objective. Not like you are snugging the scope down to the barrel and receiver anyway on an AR. My first AR so a learning lesson in oh so many ways!

#10 Rockcrawlinredneck

Rockcrawlinredneck

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

That is what I just now ordered! I was gonna do the 50mm Objective but it is not offered with the mil-dot reticle. So I stuck with the 42mm Objective. I ordered the scope ($100 off) and the sun shade, got a 5% discount and free shipping! Got it coming to my door for just about $100 under retail, with the sun shade to boot! Cant wait!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users