• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Or other? I like single actions as a preference, but DA has advantages...

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

I have one of the first RedHawks delivered in San Diego (back in '80 or '81 I think) - while I like it just fine, I may as well have got a Blackhawk because I have never used it double action. Its heavy, but that's good for taking the bite out of full house silhouette or hunting ammo.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:15 AM

I hope to never need the DA, but it's faster and easier to load and unload...

#4 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:28 AM

Single actions sound much cooler when you pull back the hammer.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#5 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

what are you going to use the gun for and what caliber?

#6 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:19 AM

44 mag. General outdoors sidearm - hunting, plinking, targets, and maybe self defense, hopefully not ever need to. I have a 1911 .45, but it's not very accurate or useful at much range.

#7 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

I have a 1911 .45, but it's not very accurate or useful at much range.

??For self defense, I'd rather have no other side arm.What kind of range are you talking about?

#8 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

44 mag. General outdoors sidearm - hunting, plinking, targets, and maybe self defense, hopefully not ever need to. I have a 1911 .45, but it's not very accurate or useful at much range.

I just went through the same process you are going through right now and I chose a S&W Model 29 .44 Mag 4" barrel DA, I am in my 10 day wait right now :) I was looking for a sidearm for hunting/fishing/hiking and a general all around "mountain gun". In the end I liked the DA better for SD reasons.

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

I chose a S&W Model 29 .44 Mag 4" barrel DA

Yep, that would be my pick, especially for hunting, camping, fishing or whatever type of outdoor activities. A Great sidearm for man or beast that is trying to remove your head, along with it being an excellent "hunting" revolver. Few, if any others can do it as well, much less any better... (considering everything / including weight). I actually have the same revolver, only in 5" barrel, which is a little long for me, & much prefer the 4". But, I will live with it. lolThe great .45 semi auto is absolutely at the top of the list for a handgun in "home" defense. Actually, a 12 guage pump compliments a .45 very well for this. But for the great outdoors...If picking a handgun specifically for "hunting", then a single action revolver is nice. But for the criteria mentioned above, a DA revolver is the better choice IMO. I own both SA & DA and they all have their advantages and disadvantages for what they are used for. Then again, certain handguns just look cool &/or nostalgic and are fun to own. Now that should confuse someone... mostly myself. lolFrank

#10 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

I keep debating this same issue with myself. Guess thats why I have two Ruger single actions and two S&W 629's, 44 Mag. and 45 Long Colt. :wedgie[1]: :) :)

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Ya just GOTTA keep bringing up that .45 long colt, don't ya, Frank? You know I'm a recovering gun nut and am not allowed in the stores. :)

#12 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

Frank, there are a few S&W Mountain Guns in 45 Colt with that beloved 4" barrel out there for sale.......

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

LOL... You're killing me, FrankWell, in .45 LC, I actually like the Bisley SA... at the moment, but of course subject to change (w/your help). lol Now I gotta go lay down...

#14 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

Cold ice pack on the back of the neck helps at moments like these....

#15 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

??For self defense, I'd rather have no other side arm.What kind of range are you talking about?

In the desert on the border. 4 legged and maybe 2 legged coyotes, ground squirrels, jacks, deer in the mountains. The .45 1911 is absolutely great for PD, but not so much for small target hunting or longer range PD, and I don't want to carry a .44 or .357 and the .45. My 1911 is great for combat accuracy, I just took first in the local comp Weds (pretty laid back, only 4 guys, I'm not great or anything)....but for small targets at any range, forget it. 1911s CAN be accurate, but they weren't designed to be, so the work to make them accurate is not cost effective. If you run into BGs in the desert (God forbid), having something with some range is a good thing. I don't have an AR and don't know if i will get one.

#16 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Not really sure what you mean by long range personal defense? If long range is even a consideration...carry a rifle and be done with it. Most people cannot accurately shoot a full house 44 mag load. A down loaded 44 mag isn't much hotter than a standard 45 acp. I'd shoot what you can shoot accurately and not worry about what shoots harder...cause it don't matter if you can't hit with it.

#17 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

One or maybe two hundred yards. Not super far, you gotta make sure you know what you're shooting at. I don't intend to be most people. Long range handgunning is probably my favorite kind of shooting.

#18 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

I keep debating this same issue with myself. Guess thats why I have two Ruger single actions and two S&W 629's, 44 Mag. and 45 Long Colt. :) :wedgie[1]: :)

:wedgie[1]:

#19 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

I might be able to hit a really LARGE target at 20 yards with a handgun. After that it goes down hill real fast. Hmmmm, now I know why God invented shotguns... just for me! :) Ok, just kidding on the above. However, I really am not anywhere near what I used to be with a handgun. Anyway, not sure why you would want any kind of 44, 45 (or?) handgun for long range "field" work when a rifle would do it a lot easier, AND may actually HIT something. But hey, that's why we all like different things, and is what makes the world go 'round Hmmm, ok then, maybe a 5 or 6" or longer barrel for your .44 or 357 (or?)... lolGood LuckFrank

#20 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

Ya just GOTTA keep bringing up that .45 long colt, don't ya, Frank? You know I'm a recovering gun nut and am not allowed in the stores. :014:

I sure hate ( :) ) to talk about the 45 Colt.....Or 454 Casull,.....44 mag...Oh, and hitting something at 100 yards ?Yep,it can be done,with a handgun. :D I know,back to my corner. :popcorn:
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#21 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

I might be able to hit a really LARGE target at 20 yards with a handgun. After that it goes down hill real fast. Hmmmm, now I know why God invented shotguns... just for me! :) Ok, just kidding on the above. However, I really am not anywhere near what I used to be with a handgun. Anyway, not sure why you would want any kind of 44, 45 (or?) handgun for long range "field" work when a rifle would do it a lot easier, AND may actually HIT something. But hey, that's why we all like different things, and is what makes the world go 'round Hmmm, ok then, maybe a 5 or 6" or longer barrel for your .44 or 357 (or?)... lolGood LuckFrank

Just 'cuz. Handguns are lighter, handier, and more of a challenge. Hunting with them combines my two favorites...handgunning and stalking. Hunting jacks with a rifle has gotten to be like shooting fish in a barrel unless it's a real long shot or a successful stalk to a better shooting spot. I had one that I jumped, stalked, and jumped three times over a pretty large area... on the last jump he took off running and I dropped down (prone) and watched him...he stopped on a hill and looked back to see where I went....and that couple of seconds was all it took. I was breathing pretty good from sneaking around hunkered over as quick as I could watching him 3 times, and the physical and mental (cat and mouse) challenge was very rewarding. It's not much fun to spot one at 100 yards that doesn't see you, and just drop and pop 'im. Another fun one was a couple hundred off, not a long shot, but too far for offhand, and I was in a basin in the weeds, had to crawl to a hump to shoot from...it was a good and rewarding sneak. I just rigged up a scope on my .22mag Single Six, itching to try it out

#22 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

Single Six,get out there,and scratch that itch.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#23 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

Well, it works. I only had a few minutes this AM, but I plinked with it a bit, still need to sight in. I pref the rifle to a pistol scope.

#24 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

I pref the rifle to a pistol scope.

Most people do. Pistol scopes are overated IMO. I went that route before, mounted up scopes on my 22LR, .357 Revolver and a 44 Mag. Ended up removing all of them...didn't care for them. Live and learn.

#25 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

Well, meant I prefer a rifle scope to a pistol scope...on a .22 you can get away with it, no recoil. I shot it Sunday, best group 3"@100yds rested .22 magnum. Not too shabby. Pistols are generally more accurate than they get credit for, the hard part is seeing and holding steady.

#26 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

I'm the exact opposite. I can shoot squirrels all day with my 1911 but my Black Hawk in 44 Mag makes me flinch so darn much that if I didn't hit the squirrel on the first shot, I'm not going to hit it.

#27 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

You know whats fun; load up your 44 mag revolver with some nice, full house loads and let your buddy shoot it. Then reload it for him but leave the 3rd cylinder empty. They almost backflip when they dry fire it. Most people flinch like crazy when shooting the big boomers...you cannot shoot accurately yanking the trigger.Sorry...but most people are not Elmer Keith. Shooting a full house load from a 44mag or a 454 Casull is a whole lot of fun but to be able to really hit anything takes a ton of practice. Hitting anything consistently within a hundred yards that is smaller than a bucket is a lot easier said than done. 200 yards?...ummm okay.

#28 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

If I shoot all six rounds I will invariably lose count and jerk that trigger on the empty "7th" cylinder. The hard part about practicing a lot with the big boomers is that it beats up your hand. A friend of mine shot 50 rounds out of his blackhawk at targets trying to get better at shooting the big gun. He could barely use his hand the next day due to bruising. He was hurting really bad. Don't get me wrong, I love the big 44 Magnum and if someone broke into my house I wouldn't mind throwing a round at the guy with the big gun but I would rather target practice or go plinking with something less likely to leave me beat up after a box of shells.

#29 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

Yup, exactly.I have a 29 SW in 44 mag that would eat your hand when it had the stock grips. My Redhawk isn't nearly as bad with the stock grips but will still bruise your hand after a short time.I used to practice with some pretty mild Unique loads in my 44mag. I'd still shoot a couple cylinder fulls of some H110 loads, but they were not a lot of fun to shoot too long. The big boomers are real accurate to shoot...if you know how.Nowadays I usually shoot my Vaquero 45 Colt. Again...I have my press set to kick out a pretty mild Unique load...but I can shoot them all day.

#30 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Then reload it for him but leave the 3rd cylinder empty. They almost backflip when they dry fire it.

That is also Great practice for centerfire rifles. In other words, have the shooter turn their head away from the rifle, while a second person either inputs a live round or leaves the chamber empty and closes the bolt. This works especially well if the shooter has already fired a few live rounds and has been pounded by the recoil. They are almost always shocked how bad they find themselves flinching.35 yrs ago or there abouts, I did a fair amount of handgun shooting & got to where I could almost do pretty well with my 1911 at 25 yards. Almost! I never saw anyone else shoot that gun as good as I could, with one individual lucky to even hit the target. With that in mind, many, if not most folks I've seen shoot any handgun were fair at best, and thus I am always at least semi-skeptical whenever I hear of great handgun accuracy by someone. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, as it sure does, however?Which brings me to this next story...The best I ever saw anyone with a handgun, besides my dad (who shot competively at one time), was an old marine WWII vet who is no longer with us. Anyway, he could consistently hit a steel target with his 1911... @ 300 yards! I almost didn't believe my lying eyes. I do not remember how big the target was, perhaps in the 18" range(?) but am guessing at that. Pretty crazy!Bottom line? I'll take a shotgun or rifle anyday to a gunfight over a handgun. But that's just me... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users