20 replies to this topic

#1 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

i'm new in here and think this website is bad ass! i need your help, i going to get a 22lr pistol for gray squirrel and rabbit hunting? which one should i get ruger mk3 or browning buckmark? also is it legal to hunt with a .22 pistol in california? thanks a lot guys!!

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

First off.... is the term "Bad ass" a positive or negative. (and old man wants to know.)Second,.... using a pistol to shoot gray's is next to imposible. Because.... they like it high in a tree. They are very hard to see because of the limbs they are running on. That means you must have a good *slant range* (maybe 50 to 100 yards to the side) to see them. That puts you at a very long shot with your pistol. Rifles with a good scope will save you many rounds of ammo and if you are patent enough you might score enough for dinner.Rabitts are a different story.

#3 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

i'm thinking about just using it when i go deer hunting. where i go, there are a lot of gray squirrel and would like a small side arm so i'll get dinner if i don't get deer. which pistol is best? i have a 357 revolver but it's too loud when deer hunting.

#4 airman

airman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

I have a Ruger MK II, very accurate. You really can't go wrong on either choice. I'd say get the one that has the best deal behind it. Oh ya, many people will tell you the Rugar is a pain to take down, not the case.

#5 Moonclip

Moonclip

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

I have Ruger MKII,a 22/45,a MkI and a Buckmark. I am starting to prefer the Buckmark, it has a nicer trigger. I have been staying away from the MKIII's due to the loaded chamber indicator and integral lock I dislike.

#6 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

Same here, I have a Mark 2 and a Buckmark. I tend to prefer the Mark 2 but probably because I've owned/shot it so long...real comfortable with it. The Buckmark is somewhat new, but a pleasure to shoot as well. You should handle each and get the one that fits your hand the best.As for hunting with a .22lr pistol...I really enjoy it. I don't think I've every shot a tree squirrel with mine but have taken countless jackrabbits and ground squirrels with it.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#7 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

thanks for the info guys! i'm leaning towards the ruger but haven't seen the buckmark yet. People don't carry the buckmark as much as the ruger. i'm getting a 22lr on tuesday don't know which one yet? i already have a walter p22 don't like it.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Buckmark all the way!!!Posted ImageThere's no need to put any aftermarket parts on them because they feel and shoot sooo nice right out of the box.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 cptnmatt

cptnmatt

Varmint Hunter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Three kids in my 4H marksmanship group got medals in our CA state wide shooting match, including top in the state. using my BuckmarkMatt

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

Congrats to the 4H marksmen.I shoot a couple model 41 Smith and Wessons and like the way they shoot and feel. Very accurate and wonderful triggers on them.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 Joseph

Joseph

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

I have Ruger MKII,a 22/45,a MkI and a Buckmark. I am starting to prefer the Buckmark, it has a nicer trigger. I have been staying away from the MKIII's due to the loaded chamber indicator and integral lock I dislike.

I'm planingg on purchasing a new SS Ruger MarkIII Hunter 6-7/8" flueted barrel in the next few days and was wondering what exactly you don't like about the loaded chamber indicator and the integral lock? Just because it's there and comes with the pistol or do you have a "specific" reason why? :yikes[1]: ......I'm open for any suggestions, opinions, complains, etc. about the MKIII Hunter..!
"A bad day hunting is always better than a good day at work"

#12 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

have you checked out the sig sauer..its really sweet>>glenn

#13 Joseph

Joseph

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

My friend owns a Sig Mosquito .22cal and I don't like it, looks like made of plastic and pot metal with plastic frame and mags, I also don't like the flip over take down lever to remove the slide plus the barrel is attached to the frame?.....looks like a pellet gun to me.. :drinks:

#14 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Archery, guns, boating and just about anything else that involves the outdoors.<br /><br />FIGHT ON TROJANS!!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

I just went through the same dilemma and thought process. Posted the same question. They are both good guns. Best thing to do is go down to your gun shop and hold them both to see which you like best. I bought a Buckmark and pick it up Tuesday. Why? I like the look of it. It has a good reputation. Many folks here have them and love them and finally, my wife also like it best. The bonus is the Kimber she said I could buy next!!Good luck.
FIGHT ON TROJANS!!!

#15 Joseph

Joseph

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

I decide to go with the Ruger Mark III Hunter SS because the looks, design, reliability and Ruger reputation. The 6-7/8" barrel is perfect for target shooting and small hunting (lots of jack rabbits where I live ;) ) and it feel and shoot grrreat right out of the box. I like the angled grip frame, the checkered Cocobolo grips, the fully adjustable rear sight, the flueted barrel and the fiber optic front sight plus the visible loaded chamber indicator, a plus for me :cheers: . Comes with two 10-rd mags and two trigger lock keys for security and they also give you extra accessories like the weaver type scope base adapter and the six inter-changeable front sight light pipes. The bolt is already drilled and tapped in case you decide to install the scope base adapter. I'm very happy with it!! Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

I own the hunter just have not gotten out to shoot it yet.

#17 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Archery, guns, boating and just about anything else that involves the outdoors.<br /><br />FIGHT ON TROJANS!!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a holster for my new Buckmark? I'm curious to know what folks are using.Thanks,
FIGHT ON TROJANS!!!

#18 Joseph

Joseph

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Same question goes for the Ruger MKIII Hunter. Anybody?..there must be somebody out there with a nice leather holster recommendation for these pistols :drool:

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

I like Uncle Mikes holsters and have seven that fit my assortment of .22 autos and revolvers. I'm not a fan of leather like I used to be as it can harbor some ill effects.

Time waits for no one--

#20 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

Shooter John,Do you have any issues with the front site catching as you pull the gun from the holster? I purchased a similar nylon holster to an Uncle Mike's that catches a bit when I draw the gun out. Not like I'm looking for speed or anything, but just an annoyance. Thinking of returning it.Thanks.
FIGHT ON TROJANS!!!

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Never had a problem with his holsters. But then again I'm not Quick Draw McGraw. I'm Deadeye Dick. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users