• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

Better buy a used diesel unless you want the added expense and hassle of urea injection on the 2011's. Just more governmental BS about pollution control. As if diesel isn't expensive enough.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#32 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

Then there's a talk of smogging 98 and up. I'll keep my nice basic no computers 95, thanks.

#33 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

If your towing a lot can see buying a diesel, but for occasional light towing (ie tent trailer) I'd think a gas rig would be better. The mileage is no better on a diesel one ton, vs a gas 1/2 ton. And the 1/2 T is availible in a short box, easier to park in town, etc. I've got both, and unless I need to tow or haul something big, I'd rather take the gas 1/2 ton on a trip or into town.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#34 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

I agree. I have a 2006 F150 SuperCrew 4x4, cuz I need it. I had 5 Toyota trucks over a 20 year period, and I was tired of riding in a wheelbarrow. I'm older now and wanna be comfortable. After driving all the different trucks, I decided on the Ford. I was raised a Chevy guy, but, gotta go with what's right for you. I needed 4x4 (live in the mtns.), don't haul alot, but heck, even a 1/2 ton will haul a decent size trailer, mine's rated at 9800lbs. The selling point for me was the comfort, and after adding the Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake, and Edge Evolution programmer, I get 23-24 on the freeways in the valley. Up here, about 19. Not bad, considering small trucks are maybe getting 20mpg. My .02 Good luck with your decision.

#35 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

... and after adding the Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake, and Edge Evolution programmer, I get 23-24 on the freeways in the valley. Up here, about 19. Not bad, considering small trucks are maybe getting 20mpg. My .02 Good luck with your decision.

That's impressive.This thread has been tremendously useful. My thanks to everyone.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#36 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

i have a 2wheel drive nissan frontier 4 door with the 4.0 v6 great truck ok gas mileage my family of 4 with a large dog ie 130 lbs fits in it rather nice have decent payload and towing an gets around 20 when i keep my foot out of it the 4wheel drive version is quite nice buddy has one nissans run forever chaper than a yota and not quite as big as a 150 or 1500 good luck

#37 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:22 AM

Have you considered a Landcruiser, although I don't know what engine options you guys have over there?

#38 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

I'm considering everything at this point. That's why I posted the question. Do you drive one? What's your opinion?

#39 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

yes, I've owned a 75 series troop carrier since 1988.The newer 4 door 76 series GXL with V8 turbo diesel might be suitable to your needs. http://www.themotorr...test-and-review

#40 edgreeson65

edgreeson65

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

My Jeep Cherokee works GREAT for me, go's anywhere with some mild mod's.

#41 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Ford Raptor is the only way to go!I have a 2006 Lexus GX 470 4x4 I'm very pleased with.

#42 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

Jim, I saw one of those Ford Raptors at the dealer on my lunch break today! Man what a truck till I saw the sticker on the window and almost lost my lunch....$48g's loaded and that's without tax, prep and licensing fees! Yikes!!!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#43 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

A friend/employee has one. It's expensive, but it works. Way out of my price range.

#44 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

Jim, I saw one of those Ford Raptors at the dealer on my lunch break today! Man what a truck till I saw the sticker on the window and almost lost my lunch....$48g's loaded and that's without tax, prep and licensing fees! Yikes!!!

48K?...for the new 6.2 liter? They usually start at 60K or what ever high bidder wants to give them. I doubt I'd get much hunting done out of one of those.As for the original question: I've had two trucks that were great for hunting. First one was my old 85 toyota 4x4. I put 150k on that truck with hardly a problem. Second one was a 89 Izusu Trooper 4x4. Cool little rig to hunt from, got great mileage and would go most anywhere. Plus you could sleep in it and stay dry. Also you can buy them cheap. It was pretty gutless power wise but it was a great weekend hunting rig.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#45 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

My buddy got his for 42.

#46 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

If you have to make a payment, it isn't a hunting rig. Get a truck or SUV that works for what you want. Keep the cost down and don't try to do it all with one vehicle. As far as longevity goes, I have my own conclusions. The Toyotas are fine until they break, then they cost an arm and a leg. I will never own another dodge or jeep again.......EVER! Chevy/GMC seem to hold up pretty good. Obviously, I'm a Ford guy. The diesels are marginal IMO, the V10 is a pig, but the 5.4 triton is hard to beat for what I use it for. I KILL trucks, motorcycles, cars, guns, callers, clothes, etc, etc. I don't make assumptions by reading about products. I buy them and beat the crap out of them. My hunting rig has seen many, many miles. Towing, commuting, cross country traveling, hunting, riding, working, and offroading have all been done, and will continue to be done. It has 245K and I get about 14/19 MPG's. It's not pretty, but it's not hideous either. This is my third 4x4 F250 that will go well over 300K with minor fixes. It burns oil, it's big, it's heavy, but it does what I need it to do. Can you hunt for a week out of your rig and never need to do anything but stop for fuel and a few meals?

#47 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Well, mtn dog, yesterday I test drove my next new truck. It will be the 4x4 Toyota Tundra, double cab (xtra half cab), 5.7ltr V8, TRD, Rock Warrior in magnetic gray color with 6 1/2' bed. Has 6 speed auto trans & the beefy suspension (& drive) is incredible. AWESOME, is an understatement!Tundra's extra half cab has more room than my dodge ram 4x4. I was orignally thinking I needed a FULL size (crewmax) 4 door tundra because of my dodge's lack of room in the back seat, but the Tundra's half cab is more roomy than my dodge. A life long friend of mine has the exact same tundra truck, only a 2010 with black paint. I honestly had not intended on one like his, but after a bit of looking, have changed my mind. I have owned (2) Chevys, a Toyota Land Cruiser, a Jeep, a Ford & my current 2000 Dodge Ram, all 4x4's, and none have impressed me like this Tundra. Not even close! BTW, I will NEVER own another Dodge. It's on its 4th transmission at 155,000 miles. my :good: Frank

#48 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Dodge autos are poo, except maybe the newer ones, I don't have exp with them. If you want a big truck-like truck, get a dodge with a Cummins and manual.

#49 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, Six, the newer Dodge's trannys may be just fine, along with their diesel motors... but not on my dime anymore! LOLCorrection: I stated "road"warrior above, but meant ROCK Warrior... I'll try & fix that now.Frank

#50 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

Good thing I still don't have the $$$ to buy my dream vehicle. The longer I wait and read this thread, the more I learn. Thanks, guys, for keeping the discussion going.

#51 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

Here is my primary use vehicle, and hunting vehicle. I just have the basic model, which is the V-8, 4.6L. It realistically gets about 10-12 on the city, and around 15- 18 on the highway. Its does great going up and down the Cleveland NF mountains. Good on steep hills too. I have driven it through steady water of about 12-18inches deep with no problems. Its a great SUV and there are plenty of accessories for them too. And, after washing it up, it looks really good to take the family around town too.Attached File  1.jpg   15.73KB   5 downloads

#52 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

What is it?
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#53 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

a new off road mini? :) :)

#54 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:27 PM

@ Frank: HA HA HA. Its a '03 Land Rover Discovery II

#55 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Its a '03 Land Rover Discovery II

Had a very close friend that owned one. It was definitely a fine vehicle, but just wait until it needs something! Parts took forever to order, and were very, very expensive when found. It didn't nickel and dime hm to death, it twenty and fifty dollared him to death.

#56 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

I've done some work on those in the past.. they are not friendly to maintain.

#57 theduracellbigd

theduracellbigd

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Any half ton ford chevy or dodge will be fine for what you describe. Forget the diesel it will not save you money overall with your application. If you were to tow weekly over 8,000lbs then you should think about it but otherwise stay gas and half ton. Beware that if you get a tent trailer, ask yourself if that will involve a bigger hardsided trailer in the future. If so the consider a 3/4 ton and the gas engines will still be fine.From what you described, I would buy a used F250 in the smaller gas engine. I have owned chevy and ford and my brother has owned dodge, all good but I think the 2000-10 decade Ford put out great trucks, with fewer problems. I have a 2004 ford f250 with the v10 4x4 with 75k miles with nothing more than one set of pads, oil and air filter changes and one tranny oil change.

#58 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

@ Frank: HA HA HA. Its a '03 Land Rover Discovery II

You had me worried for awhile.I thought you were going to say a "Mini Cooper"on steroids. :roflmao3[1]: Glad you cleared that up.OK one question from me.On the Jeep Cherokee,is it easy to work on,(hood up),and plenty of room ?My Honda Passport can be a bear to work on,without special tools and all.I mean,very little handroom.And some plenty of 4 letter words........Have an oil leak at the valve cover gasket.Been patching it,til I can have it repaired right.Instead of regular bolts,Isuzu (Rodeo) has Allen heads holding the valve cover down.Those Allen heads are a mistake. :fireworks3: If I had my choice,I'd replace them.But,this Honda has been a good one,like my ex-Ford E-200 Econoline van.It had a 3 speed.And I put close to 1 mill miles on it.Owned it for over 20 years. The tranny,to the rear end,has never been touched.My workhorse.Just for kicks,how 'bout a Hummer ?
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#59 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:51 AM

My current rig is an 08 Chevy 1/2 ton crew 4x4 Vmax (6.0L). It's fun and fast (for a truck). But I'd not buy one again. My previous truck was a 99 4x4 2500. I'll go back to 2500 trucks. My main peeve is the little 5 1/2 ft bed. With a topper, that extra foot (2500s are 6 1/2 ft beds) is about 40 cu ft of volume. It's surprizing how much that extra foot means. On mileage, my 99 2500 6.0L got 12.5/14.5 mpg. The 1/2 ton 08 6.0L gets almost exactly the same. A 5.3L would get much better, I hear. Of course, if you jack it up 8-10" and put 37" tires on it, forget about mileage. For towing a little trailer under 5000 lbs, I wouldn't bother with a diesel. Friends I did horses with had them. Great for about 6000 lbs and up. Below that, not worth the money or putting up with the high cost of purchase, maintenance, and fuel.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#60 edgreeson65

edgreeson65

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

cherokees are very easy to work on, lots of room due to the I6 4.0 motor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users