13 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:34 PM

I don't know about you guys but I typically hunt alone. I love getting back into the hinterlands with my airgun and hunt where it is very unlikely that I would see another person all day. Because of that I take a couple of extra precautions.In addition to my air rifle, binoculars, and rangefinder, I have a GPS locator on my belt that with a push of a button shows my wife at home my exact location on a map on her computer. It also sends the same info to my son in California. I can also send them a "hey I'm okay out here" any time I want too. It will also, with the push of a different button, put out an emergency "911 send help ASAP" message as well. It pinpoints my exact location within a few yards. It makes everybody feel better and is a nice accessory to have on my belt. Isn't technology great!I also carry an equalizer on my belt. It's a 1911-A1 Colt Government Model that pistol smith Don Nygord built for me back in the 80's. It is fully tuned and incredibly accurate and reliable. It's loaded with Winchester Black Talon ammo that I still have on hand from many years ago. We have four legged varmints in pretty good numbers up here, known as mountain lions, that can ruin your day. Although unlikely that I would encounter any, we also have some two legged varieties making their way from Mexico through Arizona to who knows where. The picture is the setup that I hunted with today. As I said before, better safe than sorry.Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,394 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Now that's a nice setup. I carry everything the same except the GPS locator. I've been thinking about getting one as I hunt alone too and my wife always worries if I'm gone longer than normal. The .45 I carry is fancier looking it's half stainless and blued steel! :signs165xk: I built it and tuned it myself when I worked at a gun shop many years ago. But I keep an extra in the vehicle too. You can never be to safe.So where's all of the squirrels you shot? I'm beginning to expect them in every photo.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

That gps locater... Where did you get it, what is the cost, what is the range, etc? I like the idea of being able to send your local back to the home computer and such... Would sure let me get out more often..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

The one I have is called SPOT the Satellite Personal Tracker. I got it at Big 5 here in Flagstaff. I used it on my Wyoming trip this summer, and every time I go hunting here. I have to remind myself to put it on my belt. It doesn't do much good in the truck. :signs165xk: The thing works flawlessly. Re: the squirrels. I got some today, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear about it. I'm pooped, and going to bed. :P :lol:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

I carry the same, minus the GPS and sidearm. I carry a cel phone but sometime I am in places where it doesn't work. Will have to look into the GPS. Thanks.

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

That gps locater... Where did you get it, what is the cost, what is the range, etc? I like the idea of being able to send your local back to the home computer and such... Would sure let me get out more often..

I picked it up at the Big 5 store here in Flagstaff. It was about $150 and it works great. You need to be able to have a clear shot at the overhead sky so it can see the satellite it's communicating with, but that's where I am all the time. If you crawl into a cave it won't work. I've been using it for about six months now, and as long as I can see sky above me, it works every time. There's a fee for the service. I think it's about $8 per month. Well worth it for the peace of mind it affords everyone. I think it works pretty much anywhere in the world where they have satellite coverage. The construction is very rugged. Check it out.

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

I carry the same, minus the GPS and sidearm. I carry a cel phone but sometime I am in places where it doesn't work. Will have to look into the GPS. Thanks.

I tried the cellphone, but 99% of the places that I hunt don't have any coverage.

#8 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:03 AM

Nice setup Cliff.I also carry a sidearm when I'm out, I carry a Para Ordnance Nite Tac .45. Its a stainless double action .45 with a 14 round magazine, 5 lb tuned trigger, and meprolight night sights. It's also my duty weapon. I have had it about 2 years and love it to death. I'll post a pic later as I am getting ready to head out on a 2 1/2 hour drive down to our other property to squirrel hunt...I hope I will see some squirrels anyway, I am taking my 5 mnth old Mountain Cur squirrel dog puppy. He is too young to know what he is doing and mainly tears through the woods making tons of noise. It wil be fun reguardless.Ron

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:00 AM

Like you Cliff,I hunt alone....i always leave marked copies (topo map) for my wife of areas I will be hunting... my cell works most everywhere,but carry GPS just for locating my position in event of an emergency.....I don't own a pistol anymore,but carry pepper spray and my Kabar. I also carry a first aid kit , a Sawyer snake bite kit and water and emerg.strobe light that aircraft can see at night....

#10 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:09 AM

I got mine at Cabela's. It is a great little piece of insurance.http://www.findmespo...m/en/spotlight/http://www.cabelas.c...rset=ISO-8859-1
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,394 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:00 AM

Good info on the Spot and thanks for the link Steve.Now where are those squirrel pictures. :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--

#12 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

Ok, I'll bite, what does the subscription cost?

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,394 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

Dave it's $100 a year. And for an additional $7.95 a year they'll pay up to $100,000 to have you rescued.

Time waits for no one--

#14 Browning Goddess

Browning Goddess

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

I picked it up at the Big 5 store here in Flagstaff. It was about $150 and it works great. You need to be able to have a clear shot at the overhead sky so it can see the satellite it's communicating with, but that's where I am all the time. If you crawl into a cave it won't work. I've been using it for about six months now, and as long as I can see sky above me, it works every time. There's a fee for the service. I think it's about $8 per month. Well worth it for the peace of mind it affords everyone. I think it works pretty much anywhere in the world where they have satellite coverage. The construction is very rugged. Check it out.

That is not a bad price...I could do $8.00 bucks a month. As a wife, I will have to agree it is nice to be able to locate the ol hubby when he's out on his own. Very useful tool for the hunter...thanks for sharing..ill have to look into it here at our big 5.
Live, Love, and Hunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users