48 replies to this topic

#1 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Marauder (no pun).. I have read some reviews on Pyramyd Air that the .25 cal is more accurate than the .22 cal? Can anyone guide me in the right diection? The gun will be used for hunting small game and punching holes in paper. Thanks!

#2 CitySniper

CitySniper

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

Well you will have less selection of ammo in .25 rather than .22. My Mrod is very accurate, shooting barracudas 21.14grain 30+ fpe. I don't have a .25 Mrod to compare, But my guess is that it can just shoot longer distance....not more accurateBut the .22 can shoot 100 yards, who really needs more?Lets ask VarmintAir...He has both.....,probably shootin it right now ;)P.s. you said you would plink/hunt....Then yeah I would go .22 enough power for hunting medium sized game, Ammo is cheaper, and more selection. .25 caliber in my opinion is more for serious Hunting/hunters...not casual plinkingthey are getting almost 60fpe turned up to the max, that's crazy. enough to hunt hogs,coyotes

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

My suggestion would be to consider what game you would hunt with the .25....I have found the .22 cal to be adequate for most all small game.MAC 1 Discovery .22..906 FPS using JSB 14.3 Gr..Dominator 1250 (HPA) .22..940 FPS using JSB 15.8 Gr..

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:05 AM

I've been the proud owner of my Mac1 .25 cal Marauder for all of about 36 hours. This is my first .25 cal airgun, and at this point I've got all of 20 rounds down the barrel. I have only been able to shoot it at 20 yards indoors. I'm thrilled with the way it's shooting so far, but I won't be able to shoot it at 50/55 yards until I can get into the forest, and most of the roads are still impassable from the heavy winter snows.If it were me, and I was only going to have one or the other, I would choose the .22. It has more than enough power to take pretty much all of the small game and varmints that are legal, and ethical airgun targets. Accuracy is superb, and pellet selection is very good.I like trying new stuff, so I thought I would give a .25 a go, but it wouldn't be my first choice, nor would it be the one gun I would keep if it ever came down to that. For me, it's just an addition to the arsenal of air toys that I already have, and something interesting and new to play with. Here's a couple of pics of the first three groups I shot from the gun while testing the 31 grain Kodiak's for accuracy. These are at 20 yards indoors. Each group's 8 shots, thats one full mag.I've got some 25 grain .25 cal JSB's and the new 27 grain Benjamins inbound, and will be testing those in the near future. Those are Advil tablets in the picture for size perspective. Posted Image Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

Cliff your .25 Maurader may be just the ticket for Prarrie Dog hunting...be interesting to see results of your hunts on those critters...long range,wind,etc..

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

Those are very nice groups Cliff. I think you have a real winner there. I also agree with your reasoning on why a .22cal would be a better all around choice. But being that you have an excellent arsenal of airguns it is a great addition. Thanks for showing us what it can do so far. When you get some chronograph readings please let us know.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

Cliff your .25 Maurader may be just the ticket for Prarrie Dog hunting...be interesting to see results of your hunts on those critters...long range,wind,etc..

You know it's kind of funny, because hunting these prairie dogs is what really got me to thinking seriously about adding a .25 to the battery. Somedays I spend as much time chasing my hat in the wind as I do hunting. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but you get the idea. The faster the wind blows, the closer I need to get for a reasonable chance at a killing shot. Sometimes that's only 50/55 yards. The wind causes the pellets to turn into curve balls and sliders. When possible, I try and keep it at my back, or in my face, but that doesn't always work out either. I'm thinking that a .25 cal shooting a 27 to 31 grain pellet at around 900 fps would buck the wind better and let me push those ranges back out to 65/70 yards. Come June, when prairie dog season opens here, I'll get a chance to see if a .25 makes any real difference. Should be fun.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

Those are very nice groups Cliff. I think you have a real winner there. I also agree with your reasoning on why a .22cal would be a better all around choice. But being that you have an excellent arsenal of airguns it is a great addition. Thanks for showing us what it can do so far. When you get some chronograph readings please let us know.

I think we're only about a week or so away from getting into the forest around here. I'll get some 50/55 yard groups then. I'll be doing some chrono work as soon as the other pellets get here, and that should be some time next week. My California squirrel hunting trip has been rained out twice now, so that may not happen this year. The local prairie dogs will be expected to pick up the slack. :roflmao3[1]:

#9 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

I'd go for the .25. Accurate and better for 'Coon/Possum sized game. And the selection of ammo is improving. Also with the proper .25 pellet bucks the wind better, and has more fpe on your distant shots. Also squirrels are the toughest most stubborn little devils I"ve ever shot. The .25 hits harder and punches a bigger hole/larger wound cavity.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

I've shot several raccoons and possum along with close to 100 skunks using my FX Monsoon in .22cal and they don't get away. So a .22 is plenty really.

Time waits for no one--

#11 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

You know it's kind of funny, because hunting these prairie dogs is what really got me to thinking seriously about adding a .25 to the battery. Somedays I spend as much time chasing my hat in the wind as I do hunting. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but you get the idea. The faster the wind blows, the closer I need to get for a reasonable chance at a killing shot. Sometimes that's only 50/55 yards. The wind causes the pellets to turn into curve balls and sliders. When possible, I try and keep it at my back, or in my face, but that doesn't always work out either. I'm thinking that a .25 cal shooting a 27 to 31 grain pellet at around 900 fps would buck the wind better and let me push those ranges back out to 65/70 yards. Come June, when prairie dog season opens here, I'll get a chance to see if a .25 makes any real difference. Should be fun.

Cliff I think you're going to have a lot of fun with the .25. With the magic you've displayed here an on other sites with your .22's, I believe the .25 would extend that range. I am absolutely confidant that the .25 in a relatively heavy pellet, 31+, bucks the wind better than most if not all .22's. Ofcourse density has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't recommend using a 43g EJ as your go-to lead, because of drop, but it's amazing in the wind. 31g H&N seem to be very uniform and/or even the softer leaded 35g EJ tears them up at distance, even sans a headshot."....27 to 31 grain pellet at around 900 fps would buck the wind better and let me push thos ranges back out to 65/70 yards."IMHO with your markmanship, it won't be long before that range, sans wind, using a .25, will be extended by 10-15 yards. Find your go-to pellet.

#12 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

I'm thinking that a .25 cal shooting a 27 to 31 grain pellet at around 900 fps would buck the wind better and let me push those ranges back out to 65/70 yards. Come June, when prairie dog season opens here, I'll get a chance to see if a .25 makes any real difference. Should be fun.

Don't forget that to buck wind, flatten trajectory and have a maximum impact velocity you need a good ballistic coefficient. Unfortunately, the 27 - 31 gr .25 pellets have a BC of .022 or .023, Not as good as several of the .22 pellets. The JSB Exact, a 15.74 gr .22 pellet has a .032 BC, while the .22 Kodiak and the .22 Crow Magnum have .035 BC. The BC king of both the .25 and the .22 world seems to be the Eun Jin .22 caliber, 29 grain pellet with a BC of .047. Of course these BC's are puny compared to the powder gun world but, the further you stretch the range the more difference they make.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#13 CitySniper

CitySniper

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:08 AM

Marino....LoL @ shoooting squirrels with .25 cals, thats funny stuff. kinda overkill

#14 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

Don't forget that to buck wind, flatten trajectory and have a maximum impact velocity you need a good ballistic coefficient. Unfortunately, the 27 - 31 gr .25 pellets have a BC of .022 or .023, Not as good as several of the .22 pellets. The JSB Exact, a 15.74 gr .22 pellet has a .032 BC, while the .22 Kodiak and the .22 Crow Magnum have .035 BC. The BC king of both the .25 and the .22 world seems to be the Eun Jin .22 caliber, 29 grain pellet with a BC of .047. Of course these BC's are puny compared to the powder gun world but, the further you stretch the range the more difference they make.

I think some of the numbers you have are a bit off. Here's the chart that I get my info from. It shows the BC for the 31 grain .25 cal Kodiak to be .037, the 21 grain .22 Kodiak is shown to be .036, and the .22 Crow Mag to be .022.http://www.airgunfor...ts-bc-info.html

#15 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

Marino....LoL @ shoooting squirrels with .25 cals, thats funny stuff. kinda overkill

I've read where guys have shot them with .22 rimfires and they still take off. I've hit them with .25 43g EJ's clean thru, mid-section, and they still run off. I don't believe it's overkill. I'd use a .22 rimfre in my backyard if it were legal. Most people that have experience shooting squirrels know how tough they are pound per pound.BTW, none of the squirrels on property from where I shoot off my back porch reside within 50 yards. They're out there from about 50-140. I don't go after the 50 or 60 yard squirrels like I did last season. I want this season to last a bit. 31g H&N at 950 fps was able to handle the unfortunate squirrel at a lazered 142 yrds. with a 2 dot holdover, and about a 20% downgrage. A 20% larger wound channel makes a difference.

#16 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

I think some of the numbers you have are a bit off. Here's the chart that I get my info from. It shows the BC for the 31 grain .25 cal Kodiak to be .037, the 21 grain .22 Kodiak is shown to be .036, and the .22 Crow Mag to be .022.http://www.airgunfor...ts-bc-info.html

Well here is the chart I used, from Straight Shooters. Straight Shooters Ballistics Chart I believe they test and develop their own data, rather than inviting people to send in ballistic coefficient data. But it is interesting to have multiple data sources.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#17 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

Well here is the chart I used, from Straight Shooters. Straight Shooters Ballistics Chart I believe they test and develop their own data, rather than inviting people to send in ballistic coefficient data. But it is interesting to have multiple data sources.

Here's another list of BC's that you might find handy on occasion. http://www.airgunexp...undb/pellet.cfm

#18 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

Today with some friends...82 yards..Disco .22...Posted ImageThe rifle..note can was at pine tree in background just left of barrel in this pic...Posted ImageI might add, both the other guys hit cans at 80 yards with .177 cal 12 FPE rifles...Do not under-estimate range of these air rifles...

#19 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

I don't think anyone is underestimating what a .177 can do at 80 yards with little to no wind. But there's a big diffeence in wound channel and fpe, and a heavier pellet bucks the wind better than a smaller one. Move that can to 150 yards. :-)

#20 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

Here's another list of BC's that you might find handy on occasion. http://www.airgunexp...undb/pellet.cfm

Thanks, it's always good to have another reference list. Now if I can just find a source for the Beeman Crow Magnum 26.2 gr, .25 caliber, the ones with the .230 BC. With those and a 1001 fps muzzle velocity you could put 50 fpe on a critter at 100 yds. That would be 929 fps at 100 yds. It would have a 10 MPH wind drift of 2.1". Unfortunately that BC was undoubtedly a typo. :two-cents: With the .022 BC from Straight Shooters the 100 yd data is 15 fpe and 512 fps the 10 MPH wind drift would be 23.2".With the .011 BC from Andy in the UK the 100 yd data is 4 fpe and 266 fps the 10 MPH wind drift would be 58.2".

#21 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

WOW! Thank you guys so much for all of the info!! I didn't get a chance to sign in all weekend and I'm amazed at all the good info that was waiting for me. Okay, I'm going .22 for several reasons.. Now I have a new question: Mac1 .22 Marauder or Mac1 Disco?Thanks again everyone!

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

Get the Marauder it is quieter and has a magazine.

Time waits for no one--

#23 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Thanks John! Done deal! I will get it ordered this week.. Now we get to talk about optics for this baby!!

#24 CitySniper

CitySniper

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

The Marauder is Very pellet picky out of the box, and seems to only like crosman made pellets. You'll need High mount rings to clear the magazine,3-9x40,4-12x40,4-16x40....are all good scope sizes for this gun.

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

My Marauder likes JSB's and that's all I feed her. :signgreatreport3kg:

Time waits for no one--

#26 CitySniper

CitySniper

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

My Marauder likes JSB's and that's all I feed her. :rolleyes:

Lucky you! My Disco loves them, So when I bought the Mrod I thought it would too. But it doesn't shoot them good at all, especially compared to other pellets. Did you have work done to your barrel? or is it a Mac 1

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

It's a Mac1.

Time waits for no one--

#28 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

My Marauder likes JSB's and that's all I feed her. :rolleyes:

Same here John. Mine will shoot the 15.9 JSB's, 18.1 JSB's and the 21 grain Kodiaks extremely well. In non-lead ammo, mine shoots the DYNAMIC PCP-2's lights out. On the other hand, it wont shoot Crosman pellets at all. Mine is also from Mac1. You just never know what a given gun will like.

#29 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks John! Done deal! I will get it ordered this week.. Now we get to talk about optics for this baby!!

Lots of people like the mil dot reticules in their scopes for the multiple aiming points and calibrated distances between the dots that they provide. Others like the better brands of scopes as they provide repeatable adjustments, if you are accustomed to dialing in sight settings for varying distances. How do you normally use your scopes.

#30 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

My bench guns all have standard duplex of Fine duplex cross hairs.. My hunting guns all have mil dot .. I really do like using the mil dot when hunting because of the different aiming points. I have another dumb question for you guys (so much to know in a new hobby).. Do I have to use an "air gun" scope for the Marauder or can I use any optic? Does it get the same vibration as my R9 Gold Finger?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users