24 replies to this topic

#1 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

Hinew to forum I've inherited a pre 63 Win M70 .243 Featherwieght w/ an old Alaskan (?) 2 x 7 scope.What loads would be best for general coyote, small game plinking ?I shot my only buck using 100gr bullets; less than 100 yardssome shooting friends have suggested 65gr for max speed and have said you can push a .243 to 3000fps ?I have been a shotgun guy all my liferifles are rocket science to me, I am a part time plinker, want to get to know this rifle betterany suggestions?thanks

#2 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:22 AM

forgot to sayI am familar with reloading shotshellsI also have found some old Speer reloading manuals covering rifle loadsand I also have some older .243 dies

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

.243Win,The 243 is a great multi-purpose cartridge, you can definately get 3000 fps. With a 60 gr bullet you can also get 3700 to 3800 fps. That will scatter a ground squirrel or prairie dog over a large area. ;) If you don't have a loading press for rifle cartridges you might consider an RCBS Rockchucker kit. It has most erverything you need to get started, with the exception of powder, primers, bullets, cases, dies and a shellholder. :) Well, obviously not everything though. Welcome to CPC!A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:35 AM

thanks for the response A17think I'll get a store bought box to start withand see what I can do with that before I startbuying reloading supplies

#5 canis disrupter

canis disrupter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

Hey .243Win, Welcome to the forum. Thats a great rifle to get, you will have alot of fun with it,I have 2 in that caliber.Try the Winchester 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips, lubalox coating. Hornady has some V-Max rounds out..Maybe look into buying the Hornady & Nosler reloading manuals, they cover all the steps in reloading.Don"t hesitate to ask for advice at this site, there are alot of guys who have been through the beginninglearning curve that can save you headaches and money!Eric

#6 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

on shotshells I know what too look for when reloadingI found a couple boxes of 243 brass that have been fired; factory Remington 100grhow many times can this brass be reloaded safely ?I believe it too be fired only onceor should I as a beginner, maybe buy new brass and start my own supply of brass ?what would you guys do ?thanks

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:01 PM

Depending on hot HOT you load the brass you should be able to get eight to ten reloadings out of them. You can always anneal the case necks and get some additional loadings out of them. Just look at the cases for cracks and such. It's something you'll pick up as you reload more. I've gotten over 20 reloads out of some of my old .223's. But I annealed them several times along the way to soften them back up so they don't split and crack. You'll need to trim your cases before you wear them out.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:06 PM

thanks shooter johnI don't want any hot loads right nowthe first 10-20 I might do just general plinking roundsthis is new to me, so I'll take my time and hopefully do it rightI found some reloading manuals amongst my grandfathers stuffI'm gonna read thru them for more infomost of them look to be 50s 60s era, one on "wildcat" loads, whatever that isSpeer brand if it mattersI only knew him to deer hunt, not critterskinda like opening up a time capsule.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

Using powders the manuals suggest, don't go below the minimum they say. The reason is below minimum loads can detonate and not burn like a regular load. Detonation in a rifle can literally blow the gun apart. I've seen it and it isn't pretty. You have to be pretty light but that's what the minimums are there fore. ;) Good luck and be safe.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

can anyone suggest a good powder to usemore bang for my buck preferablyHercules, Winchester etcthanks

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

.243Win,Checking my loading log shows that H4895 and WW760 were what I used most of the time. That particular Ruger 77V seemed to like the 80 gr Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet. I liked that bullet for the splat factor but, those were the days before the BlitzKing. :D A17Shooter :)

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#12 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

thanks A17I have found 2 boxes of reloaded 243 with the following info tucked inside:there were probably reloaded by my relativeany comments on the load "formula" appreciatedDate: 11-4-87Cartridge: 243Powder: 4895 (this might be the powder you referred to H4895)Wt: 38.4Bullet: 75gr HPcould you tell me if these are safe to shoot ?okay to practice with or ???TIA

#13 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

Can't really tell you. There are two 4895 powders. H4895 by Hogdon and IMR 4895 by IMR or in the past DuPont. I checked the Sierra manual and 38.4 grains is at the upper end of the IMR 4895 loads with a 75 gr bullet. I would get a bullet puller and pull the bullets, scrap the powder and start over. Too many variables involved for me to make a guess.A17Shooter

#14 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

thanks for the response and guidance

#15 NoBull60

NoBull60

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing and pretty much anything outdoors.

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

I've been reading a few of the replies regarding the 243 and would like to know if anyone here can tell me if these loads are fur friendly?NoBull60 :signgreatreport3kg:

#16 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

Definatly take apart the reloads you found . Keep the primed brass and go from there . DO NOT use the loads YOU did not load ! You can find yourself in a world of hurt . I have 2 .243s . One is a Ruger 77v not mkII and I have 2 loads for it . 60 hp and 85gr hpbt . I'd give you data but since it was done to my gun and it's c.o.l. it would not be safe for you to try it . The other is an older Sako h.b. Forrester that I got cheap and damn near new . Have not reloaded for it yet though .

#17 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

thanks A17I have found 2 boxes of reloaded 243 with the following info tucked inside:there were probably reloaded by my relativeany comments on the load "formula" appreciatedDate: 11-4-87Cartridge: 243Powder: 4895 (this might be the powder you referred to H4895)Wt: 38.4Bullet: 75gr HPcould you tell me if these are safe to shoot ?okay to practice with or ???TIA

Here's what Hodgon says for both 4895 powders and the 75 grain bullets:H4895 starting load - 34.0 grains.........Max load - 38.0 grains IMR 4895 starting load - 37.5 grains.....Max load - 41.7 grains So if the person reloaded it with H4895 it is over max but if he used IMR4895 he's on the low end. Typically people don't build their loads on the low end, be careful
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#18 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:33 PM

I set up my buddys pencil barreled savage 243 with a load concisting of55gr Nosler ballistic tip (uncoated)43.5 grains of IMR-4320CCI large rifle primerremington caseIt's a fairly mild, barrel friendly load (wouldn't want to burn up your pre 64 winy) that still cranks out a bit over 3700fps. In my friends gun it makes nice little cloverleaf groups and it does a great job on ground squirrels.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#19 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

Welcome aboard .243, I'm a big fan of the .243 it's a good all around caliber,my pet load is a 75 gr. V-MAX using IMR3031 powder,it's pritty fast, blows up real good, and shoots under 1"@ 100 yds. you'll have to play with the powder charge to fit your rifle , but this is a great combo. Good luck ,,300wsm

#20 SSB

SSB

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Since you are all reloading here, what is the max grain load for .243? and is there a store bought round that is the monster of all.Thank you, Steve

#21 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

You talking about bullet weight or powder? For deer load, 95 to 100 grain will be your ticket. Lighter than 95 are for varmint. As for powder of choice... IMR 4350 or Reloader 19 for heavy bullet. For lighter bullet, IMR or Hodgdon 4895, Reloader 15 works well in my rifle. Always start at minimum and work your way up and watch for signs of pressure.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#22 SSB

SSB

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

Perfect!! Thanks!

#23 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

Now here is another old post.

#24 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

For the .243, I've gotten great success with the 55gr Nosler ballistic tip "seconds" for sale right now on shootersproshop.com. Using H414, going up in .5 grain increments, no test load was over 1" at 100 yards, the best was 5 shots in 2 ragged holes, .8" group measured from the outside of the holes. Individual guns will vary, of course. On my next trip to the range, I'll home in on the best load, in .2gr increments.This is using a tikka T3 lite.Does anyone have experience shooting the barnes 85gr tsx, as far as best powder choices? I try to stick with the Hodgdon's extreme series (the H414 was an exception). I've got H4350, varget, H4831sc, H1000 and H414 on my shelf now. I don't mind working up the load, but I prefer not to try every powder, based on the price of these tsx bullets.

#25 CLL

CLL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

I like the 87 grn Hornady HP's . I find it to be the most accurate with excellent results on coyotes an deer . Hornady list a max charge 42.9 grns of WIN 760 for a velocity of 3200 fps , in the 243 WIN . WINCHESTER 760 powder is a dream to work with . This is a straight from the book recipe . Always start from below max and work up .
I might be tired from hunting , but I will never tire of hunting .49er Faithful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users