• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Ken H

Ken H

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting, bird hunting. Reloading.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

Take the breast of a dove, slice on each side of the breast bone and get your two pieces of meat.Cut those in half. Using some bacon and a pepper mild or hot, wrap the bacon around the breast, put it on a cabob stick and BBQ until done.You boys have not lived until you have done that. ;) Some folks use water chesnuts instead of the peppers.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

Yum! ;)

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

I do a similar deal except I marinate them in Italian Dressing, soy sauce, and alittle brandy for a day. I don't cut the medalion in half but fold it over the pepper strip and sometimes put a pistachio inside too.

#4 Youngster18

Youngster18

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:live in kern county and i cant get enough of predator hunting.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

sounds good i'll try that. have you tryed it with quail? i have alot of quail in my freezer, just woundering.

#5 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

Quail are way too good to cook like dove. No need to add all the stuff designed to cover the flavor with quail. That being said I love those dove poppers with cold, real cold beer. At first when I read Dove Balls I thought it was a recipe for part of the bird I had never considered. ;)

#6 Ken H

Ken H

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting, bird hunting. Reloading.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:48 PM

LMAO Mike, I figured someone would comment on the topic. :P Youngster17, no I have not tried the quail that way, but since the meat is white I bet it would be good though.I might try that italian dressing as a good marinade. Me and my buddies are doing a 5 day dove hunt this year, instead of 3, so we will be eating plenty of "dove poppers", along with the ribs, rib eyes, etc. Oh and of course a few cold beers. B)

#7 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

Sounds like a great time Ken, where you goin'.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:14 AM

Since I'm new, I'll be the guy that brings up old posts...We do dove/quail/snipe all the same way which is similar to the above noted method EXCEPT for a few things. We call 'em Tequila Dove poppers. Marinate overnight in tequila, wrap the bacon around and stuff in a slice of jalepeno or a half a garlic clove and throw it on the barbecue. When they're done, open up one side of the wrapped bacon and stuff a small slab of cream cheese in there with it. Fantastic!

#9 OutdoorAviator

OutdoorAviator

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hmm... think you could do the same for duck breasts? Say spoonies? haha... trying to kill the overpowering taste of the spoonbill...

#10 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

You could at least name them something more appealing than "Dove Balls"... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:30 PM

Hmm... think you could do the same for duck breasts? Say spoonies? haha... trying to kill the overpowering taste of the spoonbill...

I breast all my spoonies because the skin is such a PIA to deal with. I don't like wasting meat, but the small amount wasted when breasting the spoonies is fine with me. I usually use the spoonies for stir fry...but why not try them as a popper...We thought about going on a mudhen slaughter spree just to use them for bacon-wrapped poppers, but there's something about bringing those coots to the check station...everyone looks at you kind of funny. Haha!!

#12 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

LMAO Mike, I figured someone would comment on the topic. :signbummer8tl:

LMAO..was thinking the same thing...who had time to find BB's? LOL Plus you'd need like 500 birds to get a snack

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

You could at least name them something more appealing than "Dove Balls"... :signs1180lq:

No kidding. I looked and looked but I couldn't find the balls anywhere!Seriously though, I take the breast meats and poke them lengthwise with a knife and cram a slice of canned jalepeno in there, then I put some olive oil on them, sprinkle on some fijita or carne asada seasoning, wrap them in bacon and then broil them for about ten minuits on the first side and five to seven minuits on the other.......... :drool:

#14 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:53 PM

That sounds great...

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

Clampdaddy, since you seem to have problems knocking down the ducks, but no problem with the crows, why don't you try the breasts of the crows. :signs1180lq: Seriously, why don't you give them a try?

#16 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

Ok, let me take this opportunity to explain why I refuse to eat a crow. First, how many dove do you see eating roadkill? Second, how many quail do you see eating roadkill? Third, how many pheasants do you see eating roadkill? Fourth, how many ducks do you see eating roadkill? And fifth, how many geese do you see eating roadkill? NOW, HOW MANY CROWS HAVE YOU SEEN EATING ROADKILL??? See where I'm going with this? :signs1180lq:

#17 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

Do you eat bacon? Do you eat ham? Do you eat pork chops? Do you see where I'm going with this? :D :doh[1]: :D

#18 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

Yes, but how many pigs have you seen eating roadkill??? :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

#19 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:00 PM

Oh man you do NOT want to know what pigs will eat.. Neighbor had an old sheep die, when they found it it was pretty dang ripe... They tossed it in the pig pen... 1 day later all was left was the skull, spine and a few small bones.. Pigs will eat ANYTHING that doesnt eat them first. And they will snatch up live animals too.. Chickens, cats, whatever happen to be withen reach when they grab LOL Seriously a murderer could get off scott free if he had a pen of pigs around LOL Havent you heard the ole saying, dont stand too still in the pig pen? It aint cuz they stink LOL.. And do you eat bear?? Bear will also eat roadkill, and gut piles, and anything else they find lying about.

#20 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

Haven't had bear yet, and I'm 99% sure all the pork I've ever eaten hasn't feasted on rotting, sun-baked on oil-based asphalt while being constantly flattened by oil-based tires, nasty a$$ roadkill. That's just toxic. :(, :(, and :(!

#21 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

Yes, but how many pigs have you seen eating roadkill??? :( :( :(

Haha... I actually laughed out loud...

#22 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

Clampdaddy, since you seem to have problems knocking down the ducks, but no problem with the crows, why don't you try the breasts of the crows. :crazy: Seriously, why don't you give them a try?

No thanks. If someone told me that sewer rats taste like pumpkin pie I still wouldn't eat one. Most animals are edible but when I was growing up it was just common knowledge that crows and jackrabbits are pretty low on the list of things to eat. I have heard that before kirlews (probably spelled that wrong?) were protected they were known to be one of the better eating birds around. Hmmmmm.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, but even thought condors eat dead things I hear they taste like chicken! :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#24 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:44 AM

They taste more like whooping crane :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

But they have a faint taste of Spotted Owl too! Yum, nothing like Spotted Owl, and Condor in a tasty mushroom sauce. Then you throw out the crow. :751:

#26 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Now let's see who comes out as a PETA spyer in here...LOL

#27 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

sounds good I would change the name though. :roflmao3[1]:

#28 Robairto

Robairto

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

I love dove and travel to Tx yearly to whack those little devils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users