Photo

Airgun hunting California ground squirrels.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

When John told me he was going to add an airgun forum I knew I had to join in the fun. I got my first adult airgun in 1975. It was an FWB 124D, and I still hunt with it. I really like hunting with my PCP's. Powerful and quiet. I started hunting with a digicam mounted on my scope, and have been video taping my hunts for the last year or so. I've got 57 or 58 videos posted on a video hosting site. One of my favorites is number 53. This guy was about 65 yards away, and the video really shows off what a good airgun can do. If you don't currently hunt with an airgun, look around the site and you'll see they have come a long way from the days of the Daisy Red Ryder. I look forward to sharing knowledge and stories with you guys. Hunting with airguns is a blast.Video hosting site. http://imageevent.co...rmintair/videos

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

Wow! Those are great Cliff. I can't wait for my NEW PCP to arrive next week. :censored[1]:

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

You are going to be like a 12 year old on Christmas morning. :yahoo: I assume you have a tracking number, and pretty much know when she'll arrive. Don't plan anything for that day cause you is going to be busy playing. :censored[1]:

Wow! Those are great Cliff. I can't wait for my NEW PCP to arrive next week. :drinks:

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

Nice videos. I am going to try for a yote with mine. Most of the yotes I have recently called in have been under 20 yards. The 25 caliber should do OK with a well placed head shot.db

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the videos. I've had a blast shooting them. A man after my own heart. I've got a lot on my plate right now, but I would love to take a coyote with an airgun at some point. Your .25 should do the trick. Especially with a nice heavy pellet right down the ear hole, or through the eye socket. What .25 cal. pellet does you gun prefer?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

Cliff I could watch those videos all day long! I especially like the slow motion you added to some for more impact enjoyment. That video camera of yours sure does a great job capturing the moment of impact. :signs1180lq:

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Todays technology is truly amazing. The camera weighs just about one pound. It records for one hour on a mini DVD tape. It's about the size of my fist, and I've got small hands.After posting about 16 or 17 videos, I finally figured how to do the slow motion thing in iMovie. I'm glad you like them, I've seen them hundreds of times, and I still get a kick out of seeing them again. Here's a shot of the AA 410 with the camera mounted. I'll be shooting video next week with this exact setup. :rolleyes: Posted Image

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

Is that a Canon video camera? If it is I'm getting one and I'm ordering that mount too.

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

Yes it's a Canon HV10. I think they may have just discontinued it. I like it so much that I did a quick google search and found a camera store back east that still had some in stock and bought a second one for back up. I can mount it on a tripod and get some footage of me shooting squirrels and video taping the shots with the one on the gun. I want to get some footage like that for use in the DVD. :rolleyes:

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, we call that B-roll and use it for cut aways and transition edits. NICE!

#11 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

The image quality will blow your mind. I lose a lot of definition when I compress the originals for use on the web, but the originals are amazing. Especially if you don't go too deep into the digital zoom feature. The other thing that is cool is it has an IR remote control, so I can set up the shot from the tripod and then put myself in the picture and start and stop the camera from the remote. Since I mostly hunt alone, I have to wear all the hats and this camera lets me do that. :rolleyes:

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

That's me too wearing all of the hats. That must be why I have trouble finding hats that fit.I bet those videos are great when not compressed. Nothing like watching them off of my Mac onto my 52 inch LCD TV.

#13 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

The sound of the pellet impacting is really bitchin' when seen and heard on a big screen TV. It's unbelievable. You have to be real careful who you show this stuff to. I've had a few people suggest that I might want to get some professional help, and I always respond," but I like hunting alone". At which point they yell, "THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEAN". :rolleyes: :yikes[1]: :lol: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

:rolleyes: :yikes[1]: :lol: :roflmao3[1]: I know we're beyond help! "But I like hunting alone" I'll have to remember that :roflmao3[1]: .

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

It sounds like your air rifle is as loud as a 17hmr nice video's. I use to have a gamo break open I had fun killing squirrels with it at 30 or 40 yards and pigeons to I loved that gun then it got stolen.Right now I have a Ben sheridan 22 I dont like it hard to pump not that powerful.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

That sound is deceptive Johnny. These particular air rifles are remarkably quiet you can hear the pellets hit the squirrels. You couldn't do that with a .17HMR.

#17 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

The guns themselves are very quiet, but when I slow the video down for slow motion viewing, everything slows down including the sound. The "tink" of the gun firing is spread out over a much longer period of time, and the frequency drops because it is running slower, making the gun sound more like a firearm going off. It's just perception because of running in slow motion.Here's a video that shows what I'm talking about. The first portion is the sound of the gun firing in real time. You hear "tink" and the pellet hitting the squirrel. The second part is the same video but running in slow motion. If you listen carefully, in the slow motion version, you will hear the pellet hit the squirrel, and then a second "thunk" immediately after. The second "thunk" is the pellet hitting a tree behind the squirrel, after passing through the squirrel. In realtime it happens so fast you don't really hear it. Very different sounds, but in realtime, the gun really doesn't sound very loud, and actually isn't. Out where the squirrels are, it is even more quiet. Here's the video clip.http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2

#18 Beretta

Beretta

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and camping. <br />NRA lifetime member, Ducks<br />Unlimited member and 8 year <br />member of the River Ranch Hunt Club.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Excellent Job,,,, VarminAir!!! :good: Keep the videos coming.

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

That sound is deceptive Johnny. These particular air rifles are remarkably quiet you can hear the pellets hit the squirrels. You couldn't do that with a .17HMR.

With the 17 I hear the thud that most be a different sound then the knock of a pellet .Growing up on a dairyfarm many of pigeons fell to my daisy 10 pumper I wore that thing out then one day years later I found it in my grand mothers garden the barrel was in the dirt and the stock was tied to a young tree LOL .

#20 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

Cool videos. I thought you where going to take a shot on that Doe. That would have been cool to see big game taken with an airgun. I know they make big bore airguns but I haven't seen any good footage of them taking large game.

#21 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:46 AM

Good shooting and video. Now I have another 'investment' to make. :good:

#22 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

Cool videos. I thought you where going to take a shot on that Doe. That would have been cool to see big game taken with an airgun. I know they make big bore airguns but I haven't seen any good footage of them taking large game.

One of the cool things about the quiet aspect of airgunning is that I get to meet the forest critters up close and personal. I had just knocked a ground squirrel off that pile of deadfall behind her, when she came strolling by. She didn't even know I was there until I reached up to adjust the zoom and she saw the motion of my hand. I've had a coyote that was up wind of me walk within 40 yards. The same for wild hogs and turkeys. Lots of fun. :good:

#23 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

I really like that setup. How much optical zoom does that camera have?

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

Cliff gone hunting all this week. But I believe it's a 10X optical zoom. But the digital zoom looks excellent on it. It has some very advanced features on that camera. You can read about it here: Canon HV10

#25 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks. You're exactly right.

10x Optical/200x Digital

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Cliff says it's awesome to watch the video on a BIG flat panel TV. I'm waiting for a copy of the video he's putting together of all of his squirrel shooting videos.

#27 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Sounds sweet!

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

I ordered one of the cameras and the mounts too. I like getting to watch what I shoot too.

#29 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Where did you get the mount?

#30 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

I'm assuming John got the same one I'm using, and if he did he got it from Ernie here: http://airgunadvice....opic.php?t=1759

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users