9 replies to this topic

#1 CoolWallnutz

CoolWallnutz

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:03 PM

Ok. I killed my first Canadian goose last summer and I had no idea how to cook it. I love to cook and I can make a killer chicken or turkey, but this goose I had no idea what to do with it. My neighbor said it has to roast on low heat for several hours. So at about 250 degrees for three hours I had great tasting shoe leather. Then a month later I got a second goose. This one was BBQ'ed for about an hour and a half on low. Aagin great tasting Danners. So my third bird has been in the freezer and awaits it's day in the oven. Any ideas on how to make the meat tender? Or does it not get tender? Both times I left the skin on. John.Tired of soul food. :)

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

John, here are a couple of links you might like to look at.http://www.fieldands...84580-2,00.htmlhttp://outdoorstore....ectType=article

#3 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

Living up north in Alturas CA for many years, I found that the only way to make a good goose is to cut in up in slices and make jerky out of it. I have tried cooking them a million ways always taste like mud unless you can find something to cover the taste. But they are fun to shoot!!Good Luck-Coyoteslayer

#4 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:21 PM

I make excellent, tasty, tender goose every year... you just have to cook it like you would beef! It's a wives tale that you have to thoroughly cook waterfowl like chicken with Salmonella! I cook mine to a med - med. rare, just a little pink inside but not red. If you over cook goose or Duck it will get tough and "gamey"... One of my favorite ways to make it is to cut the breast into 1" or so cubes. put it in a baggie with some flour and salt & pepper, shake it up good, pan fry in HOT grease, stirring pretty frequently... only should take about 5-10 mins. MAX to cook! cut one open to test it, when it looks like good med to med. rare beef, it's done! then make gravy out of the grease! (keep the pan on the heat and SLOWLY whisk in some flour until all of the grease is sopped up and a thick paste is left, the consistency of pancake batter. then whisk and slowly pour in some milk while you quickly whisk to avoid lumps... you will need a lot more milk than you think cuz it will thicken up as you simmer it. You can't put in too much milk, you will just have to simmer it longer if you put in more... but it should be "soupy" at first. About the consistency of eggnog is about right. then simmer and whisk until it thickens up good! pour some over your duck or goose with some smashed spuds.... Mmmmm, mouth is watering just thinking about it! Salt & pepper to taste.good luck!

#5 CoolWallnutz

CoolWallnutz

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:28 AM

Thanks you guys. I knew I joined this site for a reason. I never considered stewing one or even making a jerkey. Great help.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

Try this. Soak the breast steaks in salt water w/some bakeing soda mixed in. I useually do this in a container about the size of a punch bowl. Let 'em soak for a few hours and it'll pull alot of the blood from the meat. next soak the meat in a half n half mixture of red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar until the vinegar itself cooks the meat a little. finally lightly sprinkle with black pepper, wrap in tin foil, and throw it on the grill. I gave a piece to the missus and told her it was beef, after she ate all of hers and some of mine I told her what it was and now every time I leave the house with my shotgun she hopes I bring home a goose.

#7 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

NEVER COOK WATERFOWL PAST MED OR MED RARE!!!!!!With that said, here is an awesome recipe for your geese or ducks. It's a little wierd but trust me it's delicious.If you have a couple of geese or 5 or 6 ducks, then cut the meat off the breast. Place in a crock pot and cover the meat with BREWED COFFEE and then fill the rest of the way with water. Add salt, pepper, onions, potatoes, whatever and let stew for 6 hours or so, or until the meat can be pulled with a fork. Shred the meat and make a gravy out of what is left in the pot, serve with the left over potatoes, etc...I'm used to killing and eating right around 150 ducks and geese a year and this is always a treat and a good way to cook a bunch a fowl..You can also skip the potatoes and just cook the meat then shred it and add your favorite BBQ sauce for pulled BBQ sandwhiches.Goose is very good, it's just a matter of knowing what to do with it and cooking it properly. Baking or Roasting for me is a big NO NO....

#8 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

Try this. Soak the breast steaks in salt water w/some bakeing soda mixed in. I useually do this in a container about the size of a punch bowl. Let 'em soak for a few hours and it'll pull alot of the blood from the meat. next soak the meat in a half n half mixture of red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar until the vinegar itself cooks the meat a little. finally sprinkle with black pepper, wrap in tin foil, and throw it on the grill. I gave a piece to the missus and told her it was beef, after she ate all of hers and some of mine I told her what it was and now every time I leave the house with my shotgun she hopes I bring home a goose.

Yeah, now all you gotta do is find some shells for that sewer pipe you call a shotgun! :lol:

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

Yeah, now all you gotta do is find some shells for that sewer pipe you call a shotgun! :D

I seriously need to get a mod. choke tube for my 10 so I can shoot steel thru it.

#10 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Never had a bad goose slow and not over kooked. Better than prime rib.Same for duck. Cookem like beef. :rolleyes: :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users