32 replies to this topic

#1 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

http://www.radioshac...rodsInSession=1I am in the market to purchase a GPS Unit for those of you that have them what do your recommend and why. I am partial to the Garmin Unit but I am open to suggestions.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Are you meaning a car unit or a field unit? For a car unit I have a Garmin Nuvi 750. Great piece of equipment. Garmin makes some of the best handhelds too.

#3 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

Are you meaning a car unit or a field unit? For a car unit I have a Garmin Nuvi 750. Great piece of equipment. Garmin makes some of the best handhelds too.

Looking for one for the Car.

#4 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

I have a garmin 650 love it

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

I have a nuvi 105 and it does everything you'll need. The new model is the 205 and has pretty much the same features. Costco has the wide screen version now for 165 bucks.

#6 moideye

moideye

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

In the car is a Garmin nuvi 760 and it works very well. More importantly, my wife loves it. I also have a Garmin 60c handheld. It guided my brother and me out of the Pecos Wilderness when we found ourselves racing to get out as fast as we could. According to the news reports the next day, the storm that hit that night, was the worst storm in 100 years. The mountains were beautiful . . . looking up at them from Santa Fe. :-) So I guess I'd say Garmin.

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

I have a nuvi 105 and it does everything you'll need. The new model is the 205 and has pretty much the same features. Costco has the wide screen version now for 165 bucks.

They had the 205 at the NEX in NOLA for about $300 not looking to pay that much.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

I also have the Nuvi 760. One of the things I like is it has the capability for Bluetooth so I can use my phone hands free. Works great. Got it at Costco.

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

I also have the Nuvi 760. One of the things I like is it has the capability for Bluetooth so I can use my phone hands free. Works great. Got it at Costco.

http://www.navigeniu...roduct_id=11085found this one is it a good deal?

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:53 AM

I use a 60csx, probably not what you're looking for...BUT, if you buy the city software, and a RAM mount, it's as good as what you're buying there, plus it's portable and has way too many features. Versatility is a good thing.

#11 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

Garmin and Delorme are really good. garmin has the best GPS units (Colorado and Oregon) and Delorme is a close second with their handheld units (pn40) and probably has the best value (pn20, pn40) with very very good hand held units and software with a subscription service for usgs aerial and sat maps you can download.

#12 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

FYI--The new law that started 1/1/09 here in Calif. states that you can only mount a 5 inch screen in the lower left corner of the windshield on the drivers side or a 7 inch screen in the lower right corner of the windshield on the passenger side. Be careful on how you mounts a GPS unit on your dash.-jim

#13 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

I have a Garmin Nuvi 205w, great unit and has MSN Direct which is awesome depending on where you live. I would have gotten a 750 but my car stereo has BT and all that other jazz so no need to have it on the GPS too. As far as mounting, mone or i believe all units come with the black disc with double sided tape to stick to your dash and use a suction cup mount pn, I stuck mine onto the bottom side of my dash (06 Silverado, below the stereo) keeps the unit out of the way yet easy to see when driving, plus at night the glow from the screen doesnt mess with my eyes.

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

I use a 60csx, probably not what you're looking for...BUT, if you buy the city software, and a RAM mount, it's as good as what you're buying there, plus it's portable and has way too many features. Versatility is a good thing.

This is probably what I will go with come next fall. I have been wanting a portable unit for hiking/hunting.

#15 lepcur

lepcur

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Bear hunting
    Hunting preds.
    Bird shoothing

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

They had the 205 at the NEX in NOLA for about $300 not looking to pay that much.

Check out ebay, there are some deals on there.

#16 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

I have had a Garmin Street Pilot c530 for a while now. I love it. I need to update my maps though, and wish it was cheeper fro the updates.

#17 NEW2AR15's

NEW2AR15's

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

I've had my Garmin street pilot C550 for a while now and like it. Has Bluetooth and fm traffic (don't subscribe to it though) I recommend it as it’s an older one and you can get it refurbished pretty darn cheap! I also bought the Garmin beanbag dash mount, which works great!

#18 casey.martin2506

casey.martin2506

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:predator hunting. andpredator hunting

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

dont buy magellan triton 400 i got one for x mas and im on my fourth return due to a " fatal software error"

#19 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

I think I am going to get the Garmin nuvi 265 it is on sale fotr $229.

#20 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

I think I am going to get the Garmin nuvi 265 it is on sale fotr $229.

ShopNBC had that for sale last night for $179.95. Almost bought one but I still love the portability of my Etrex Legend CX with Mapsource SD card. Small but it gives me all the info I want.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

Costco sent me this ad today and they have the Garmin Nuvi 265 for $129.99.http://www.costco.co...-32-_-Garmin260

#22 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

get a map book that is better, and or do map quest and save your$.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

PMaster - you know those aren't going to be any good off highway right? They're great for getting you to the market and the movie but go off the road and all you see is blank space. If you want it for hunting and such get a hand held unit.

#24 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

PMaster - you know those aren't going to be any good off highway right? They're great for getting you to the market and the movie but go off the road and all you see is blank space. If you want it for hunting and such get a hand held unit.

yes I know. They also have one I am looking at that is waterproof for a bit more $$ that is good on water and off road.

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

This is the unit they are all measured against. You can find them newly refurbished for $199. Very accurate and they acquire satellite lock quickly. GPSMAP 60CSx

#26 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#27 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

EARTHMATE PN20 HARD TO LEARN BUT COMES WITH MAPS OR SOMETHING LIKE 45 $ U GET AS MANY MAPS AS U WANT. PLUS U CAN GET THE WATER MAPS, TOPS ALL KINDS SATELITE AREIAL U CAN ARRANGE THEM TO ALL COME IN AT DIFFERENT LEAVELS THEY HAVE A PN40 WHICH IS A WAY TO GO TOO

#28 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

rude robert, I don't mean this as a slam at you or anything discourteous, rather just an observation. You either never use a capital or you use all capitals. Either way is very hard to read. Also, you seem to think this is a place to practice your text messages. It would really be nicer if you conformed to the standards that are practiced here and use proper punctuation and type all words out. It makes it just so much easier to read. Thanks.

#29 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

sorry i dont think of it. im use to typing condensed msgs (messages) force of habit. ive been typing shortened messages for so long its natural lol all work related i dont text. working 12/14 hrs days along with company policy forces me to condense everything. we pay by letters

#30 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

The shift key is on the left side of the keyboard. If you press it before you type a letter, guess what, it makes a capital for the beginning of a sentence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users