19 replies to this topic

#1 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

ok guys i am very new to archery . how many of you use a drop away rest vs wisper bisket type ? do you notice a dif. with the drop away ?the guys at the bow show told me that should be my next upgrade. just dont know the real dif . and weather or not its worth the money to upgrade to one

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

With a drop away you have nothing interfering with the shaft or vanes of your arrow where the buscuit will definately interfere. Whith that said I have never used a buscuit so I can't tell you first hand but I do know a bunch of guys that hunt with one and they like it. If you are using a buscuit now and it is working well for you then don't change it.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

The whisker biscuit is a very popular choice with the tree stand crowd in that you can have the bow hanging or in your lap without the fear of the arrow falling off the rest since it's held in place by the whiskers. The arrow leaving the bow is a touch louder when the vanes sweep through the whiskers though. I use a G2 drop away, and have always used drop away rests on my compound bows (with the exception of my first compound because they wern't invented yet) - I pretty much have to use them now, since I use FOB's on my arrows, not traditional vanes.Posted Image

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

I have never used a drop away, but I have used several open arrow rest, After I put a wisper bisket on my bow, I will never go back to an open rest. I can shoot a 3" patern at 20 yards every time, so I don't see any problem with accuracy and a biscut. I put one on my son's bow also, and he loves it too!!.Tom
  • WildassJoe likes this

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

I can shoot a 3' patern at 20 yards every time, so I don't see any problem with accuracy and a biscut.

I could throw them by hand into a 3' pattern!!! :horse apples: But I'm sure you meant a 3" pattern :horse apples: :horse apples: Like I said, for some reason the little things just stand out to me the most :1087:

#6 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

At 20 yards you're not going to see a difference. Shoot with both at 60 yds. There's where you will see the difference, especially as you observe the arrow flight.

#7 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

You got me Bisley.You have to hit the shift key to narrow it down by 33 inches.Tom

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

A 3" pattern is not that great at 20yrds and like sagedog said at the longer distances you will notice a difference.

#9 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

When I shot 20 yard league we all used 5-spot targets or we'd end up with a pile of damaged or destroyed arrows in nothing flat... half inch groups were the norm - the good shots could put arrows in the same hole the whole night long.

#10 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

ok guys thanks .as of right now i do not have a tree stand so that isnt a concern yet ,not sure how i wil be hunting yet . i havent streched it out past 20 yards yet, still working on proper form and constant anchor points. i would like to be able to get nice 3" (thats inchs guys ) groups at 60 yards . so i think as soon as my wallet and wife alow it im going to try a drop away rest . can any of you recomend one you prefer more than others?i dont have a whole lot of money but i know there are some out there that are best for the buck type i know you usually get what you pay for but sometimes they ask for stupid prices on name brand . the archery store that sold me the bow said it would be about 105 to upgrade is that a pretty good price ( i didnt get the maker or modle of the one they offered at that price )

#11 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

I have shot the Trophy taker, Trophy ridge( I don't remember the model,it's been a while), one from NAP (new archery products) and one a really long time ago that you didn't tether to the bus cable but I don't rember the brand or the name. They all work on the same principle and will do a good job just some of them have better features than others. Do a google search and check them out, you don't need to spend $100 on one but that might not be a bad price if he serves it onto your bow for you.

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

Ditto on what Jawbreaker said if its working why change.Baja those are some cool looking arrows Cool colors and love the fish scales. Baja how do those things work are they realy any better ? just wondering ,can't shoot them out of any thing I have any way. PS. 3" at twenty yards Thats a walk in the park. A compound bow should be breacking arrows like others said.

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

Thumper, I'll bet you can shoot a 3" group at 20yrds with that stick thingy you shoot. Baja, I am curious about those things you replaced your vanes with, It looks like they would be heavier than regular 3" vanes.

#14 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

I didn't say that I couldn't shoot a 3' patern at 60 yards. I was going to post a picture of it, but I couldn't find it.Tom

#15 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

:sport037fn4: let me add a lil whoopin to this stallion. The drop away rest is def. an upgrade. the less touching your arrow, the more consistant it can be. I used a whisker buiscuit for the first three or four years i was hunting and loved it, but then i strapped a drop away on, the first one was a g2. and the accuracy made me give my whisker buiscuit away. then i went to a qad. which is full capture i can set my qad, turn my bow upside down , do a little dance, and the thing is still ready to fly. 3" group at twenty is great. I don't shoot at the same spot at twenty yards very often. replacing vanes and nocks suck. have fun boy!

#16 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

A FOB weighs the same as a set of Blazer vanes. Their website is linked. It is actually a circular airfoil or wing that is engineered (by an aerospace engineer no less) to stabilize an arrow with a large broadhead much better than vanes do. The three web supports actually induce spin to the arrow while the circular airfoil stabilizes the arrow better than any vane can do. An added benefit is that the FOB reduces crosswind drift 70% for more accurate shots in windy conditions. Arrows fly like laser beams when using them.The FOB is held in place by the nock, so when the arrow hits an animal the arrow does a clean passthrough, but the FOB is pushed off the back of the arrow and falls where the animal was hit. Knowing exactly where the hit occured can greatly enhance tracking or finding the arrow if it was a clean passthrough. My hunting arrows have hot pink FOBs on them which are the best color for visibly tracking arrow flight, but I use darker color FOBs for 3D archery to keep my shooting partners from using my hit as a beacon to aim at.

#17 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Oh by the way. Baja Vanes are not traditional.! Fletches are. :smiley-outta-here: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Those FOB things are pretty cool.

#18 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

A FOB weighs the same as a set of Blazer vanes. Their website is linked. It is actually a circular airfoil or wing that is engineered (by an aerospace engineer no less) to stabilize an arrow with a large broadhead much better than vanes do. The three web supports actually induce spin to the arrow while the circular airfoil stabilizes the arrow better than any vane can do. An added benefit is that the FOB reduces crosswind drift 70% for more accurate shots in windy conditions. Arrows fly like laser beams when using them.The FOB is held in place by the nock, so when the arrow hits an animal the arrow does a clean passthrough, but the FOB is pushed off the back of the arrow and falls where the animal was hit. Knowing exactly where the hit occured can greatly enhance tracking or finding the arrow if it was a clean passthrough. My hunting arrows have hot pink FOBs on them which are the best color for visibly tracking arrow flight, but I use darker color FOBs for 3D archery to keep my shooting partners from using my hit as a beacon to aim at.

I just helical fletch my arrows and they shoot great. :good:

#19 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

I use the Hostage rest. I can replace the brushes for 10$ and it always works, no adjusting required. nothing is attached the the string either. Holds the arrow on, no matter what

#20 tradbowhunter

tradbowhunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:All things archery

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

The Hostage rest is a good compromise between a fall-away and a whisker biscuit. The Hostage rest has adjustable bristle arms to accomadate different size arrows and it doesn't need any tuning, unlike fall aways and its affordable. I use a Code Red fall away rest. It can support the arrow at any angle when the launcher prongs are engaged, its quiet and best of all it doesn't make contact with the fletching which increases down range accuracy and you can never be too accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users