• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Sunday I got up early again and headed out to try and scout for cottontails and also see if I could get some jack rabbits. This time around I decided to take my .22 Benjamin Discovery out for it's first hunt. I have it sighted in for the JSB Exact 15.9 grain pellets and one thing I can say is it is LOUD, for an air rifle. The first shot I took sounded easily like a .22 rimfire or a little louder. I wasn't expecting it to be quite that loud, but anyway on to the story:

I arrived right at 5am and walked around for about an hour and a half, seeing maybe one jack and a couple of cottontails. The jacks were getting really evasive, which meant that someone else must have been out there shooting at them when I wasn't out there. The jacks weren't letting me get withing 70 yards of them without bolting.

I was just starting to wonder if I should try a different spot when I saw another jack rabbit. However, it saw me first and by the time I shouldered the rifle, it had casually hopped off. I was determined not to leave empty handed (though that doesn't mean I don't leave empty handed often), so I quietly pursued my quarry. I tried to think like a jack rabbit and of the way I've seen other jacks try to evade a pursuer. After about 10 minutes of searching I spotted it again. Then it disappeared behind another thick grouping of brush. I kept quietly advancing and trying to re-establish a visual on the jack. My tracking led me into a dry creek bed where I had just about thought the jack had finally evaded me. Then I turned to my left and there he was, just hopping back up over a little ridge right at me. I quickly but smoothly shouldered the rifle and as it's head just popped up over the rise in the little gully it froze. I knew from experience not to wait too long to pull the trigger so I acquired it in the crosshairs between it's eyes and fired. After the shot I saw the jack drop out of sight like it got hit by a load of bricks. I ran up the rise and saw it kicking a little as it lay on the ground and that was it.

I took a photo (see below), brushed it off, removed a couple of ticks from it's ears and killed them (I didn't want those hitching a ride home), put it in the ziploc in my backpack and headed out to look for another. I spotted quite a few more jack rabbits, but none would stay still long enough to allow me to get off a shot. In total I took 7 shots (missed one jack twice and I took a few shots at some pesky ground squirrels on a large boulder) and bagged one jack. I quit kind of early for me (at around 12pm) because by 9am it was around 80 degrees and at 11am it was close to 90 and when I got ready to leave at 12pm it was close to 98 degrees out where I was at. There was a slight breeze, but it was hot since I wear a long sleeved shirt to keep from getting sun burned and to protect my arms from the brush and thorns. My shirt was thoroughly soaked with sweat.

I also was extra tired because about two thirds through my hunting day I discovered that I had dropped my range finder and lost it. Man, talk about feeling dejected! :014: I was ready to start kicking myself :angry: . Then I stopped and thought about when and where it might have been able to come off my pack. After some deliberation I decided to walk back to one spot I had taken the backpack off, which was where I had shot the jack rabbit. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to hike back to where I though I'd dropped it. As I rounded the corner, there it was, lying on the ground right where I had taken my backpack off to put the jack rabbit into it. I was so relieved I think I audibly sighed . It's not an expensive model of range finder, but it does the job and I can't afford to be losing my equipment like that. Needless to say, that made me happy again. :D

Anyway, the discovery was very accurate and while it weighs about 3 pounds less than my .25 Marauder, it still became heavy after carrying it in the ready hold for close to seven hours. The fact that it is a single shot did make it more challenging to take a quick second shot the time I was able too. All in all, it was a great air rifle to take out hunting. Especially with the Boyd's stock that I custom inlet for it. It was comfortable to hold and shoot and I'll no doubt take it out again one of these days.

So I got my fourth Jack Rabbit and next Sunday I'll be out looking to bag both the Jack Rabbits and Cottontails (July 1st), but will probably take the Marauder or my .22 Marlin. :) Just one more week to go... :)

.22 Discovery with Jack Rabbit:
Posted Image

4th Jack Rabbit (Discovery's First):
Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Great stuff Ray. That sure is a good looking Discovery. Nice shooting too. :good:

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Nice rig and story. My only answer for the weight. I added a light and laser.

Posted Image

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

I don't want my Discovery to be heavier. I want it to be lighter. :rofl2:

As you have shown in your photo, I may actually take out my P-Rod carbine a couple of times this rabbit season to see if I can bring home some rabbits with it. Full set up with the P-Rod is maybe 4 to 4 1/2 pounds. Easy to carry all day for sure. I just need to figure out how to put a sling on the P-Rod Carbine. :)

My .22 Discovery really isn't that heavy, especially with a factory stock, but my hands and wrists started to fatigue after about 2 1/2 hours of carrying it around in the ready position and that made it just a little less enjoyable after a while. I still had a blast though. If I was a better shot with iron sights then I could make it real light. :) Hopefully July 1st won't be as hot of a day as it was this last Sunday. :(

By the way... beautiful looking P-Rod you have in your photo! :good:

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

I have really been stretching the limits of the P-Rod and have been having a lot of success right out to 50 yards and I see 60 as very viable for rabbits and squirrels. At 70 its time for the Marauder and then Air Ranger. I yank off the night stuff most of the time.

http://www.bdstactic...point-sling.cfm

http://www.topnotcht...oint_sling.html

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Great stuff Ray. That sure is a good looking Discovery. Nice shooting too. :good:

Thanks John. With the new Boyd's stock on it, it is very comfortable to hold and shoulders nicely. I really like it.

I had an opportunity to take a shot at a jack that was about 89 yards away on Sunday, but I was reluctant to try because I didn't know what the FPE would be with the pellets I was using. After the jack ran off when I attempted to close the distance, I looked up that informaton on my ChairGunPro app and was bummed that I hadn't taken the shot. The app said that at 89 yards there would still be 15 FPE on the target. Plenty for taking out a jack rabbit. Oh well, next time I use it I'll know better. ;)

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Good job on the Jack Rabbit ARH!
Knowing you're limits and guns is the best way to hunt, now you know you can take em down at 90 yards too.
Think of how stoked you will be if you get a rabbit at 90-100 yards with the Discovery gun.

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

Thanks. I'd definitely be stoked about that. I'm stoked when I get one at any yardage. :)

I'm hoping that when I go out for Cottontails on this coming Sunday that I'll spot some more Jack Rabbits too. I can't wait for Quail season also. Man I must have seen about 5 coveys of 12 to 20 birds in the area I was at. I couldn't believe how many I saw. The only problem is that as dense as the brush is in many places, if you were hunting with a shotgun it might be difficult to find them after the shot. :(

Man I'm getting excited for July 1st for the rabbits and mid-October for the Quail. :yahoo:

#9 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Next time you are out hunting and run in to some Quail, whether you bust them or not than sit and listen to them.
If you bust them, I don't know if it is the head Quail but they will calling each other saying hear I am and come on over.
Learning their calls and calling them back to you once busted or alone may bring them to you to shoot at.
Good luck to you on July 1st with the cotton tails.

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

It is funny that you mention that because that is something I always do, actually with everything. I listen to everything that is going on around me when I'm out there and that is how I actually see some of the rabbits that I don't spot in front of me. I hear them move, either their feet on the ground or as they softly rattle a bush moving.

I do also try to distinguish what it is and what type of call it is making. I have listened to the quail and hear the sound you are talking about, I just need to figure out how to imitate the sound and I'll be set. I know there is so much more I have to learn so I'm trying to take in as much as I can as quickly as I can. :) Thanks for all the helpful information. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users