#1 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

My good friend and co-worker just bought this http://www.airgunsty...al-p-23856.html . I think he is in over his head with all it takes to operate one of these types of airguns. So correct me if I am wrong. This is not something he can hook up to his home air compressor and start shooting the rats in his back yard. :sport037fn4:

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

He can use the hand pump accessory they sell that works well with that model and it should work fine.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

He can use the hand pump accessory they sell that works well with that model and it should work fine.

Well that was kind of my question. He has to buy other things to make it work. I don't think he knew this when he bought it. I'm just trying to educate myself because I would have told him had I known.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,301 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

Lang, it takes much higher air pressures than any sort of home compressor can generate. They have special air pumps that look like an old bicycle hand pumps but can generate the needed pressure to fill these guns. Or you can go the air bottle route and have the tanks filled at various places. They do sell air compressors to fill both the tanks and guns but they can be very expensive.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Oh thank you. That's exactly what I thought. I'm sure he has no idea. I have .20 cal Sheridan and a couple of others,Crossman,Beeman, but no PCP stuff. He is a really nice guy, maybe he can send it back.

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

ShooterJohn and Brant are right on the money. If he wants to fill it, he needs either a Benjamin High Pressure Hand Pump or he can also get one from Air Force or Hill's MK3. For filling with a tank he'll need one that has a fill pressure of at least 4500PSI so that he gets plenty of fills from it.

He can't use any kind of pneumatic pump that uses oil either. If you get oil into the reservior it can be bad news for you and your PCP gun. There is an item called the ShoeBox compressor that runs around $550 and you attached to an oil-less compressor that can create at least 100PSI and that can be used to fill the airgun reservior because it compresses the air to create the higher PSI necessary.

If he really wants to use that airgun (it's definitely a nice one to start with. I have one myself), then he just needs to get the hand pump for the least expensive option. The pumps typically run around $179 brand knew or every once in a while you can find them on Ebay for less.

#7 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thanks Again for all of your input. I didn't ask him about it, but he came over and told me he thought that he had screwed up. Since I didn't want to hurt his feeling, I just said I'm sure it will all turn out OK. He knows about the hand pump, I guess he sort of did his homework after the fact, but he is that way about a lot of things, so as usual I wish him the best and well see how it all turns out. I told him about the Rat Zapper, you guys turned me on to, but this is his way of dealing with the problem.... :sport037fn4:

#8 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Well I am truly sorry to say that my friend is in for a big and costly surprise. He is expecting his new toy today, and he brought his "bicycle" pump in to work today to replace the leather washer/pump seal and the hose. I tried to be discrete and mentioned something about thinking that was not going to be enough pressure or volume, but he just laughed and said we'll see. So I guess the $200 bicycle pump is in his future. I'm not looking forward to seeing him in the morning......LOL....

:sport037fn4:

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

He might be pulling your leg.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Well I am truly sorry to say that my friend is in for a big and costly surprise. He is expecting his new toy today, and he brought his "bicycle" pump in to work today to replace the leather washer/pump seal and the hose. I tried to be discrete and mentioned something about thinking that was not going to be enough pressure or volume, but he just laughed and said we'll see. So I guess the $200 bicycle pump is in his future. I'm not looking forward to seeing him in the morning......LOL....

:sport037fn4:

Your friend is in for a real surprise. That pump will most likely only put in about 50 PSI and it will get all messed up,or it will blow up his pump and blow out the new seals he just put in his bike pump. Besides, he'll need a Foster quick disconnect attachment on the end of the hose to attach to the Marauder fill nipple.

I feel for you. It sounds like your friend is not being real smart about this. I'm wondering why he isn't listening to you or taking any of your advice? I hope he doesn't screw up his new P-Rod or get hurt in the process. It would be a shame if he ends up winning a Darwin Award because of this. :crazy:

#11 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

He might be pulling your leg.

Oh how I wish your were right, but he was as serious as a Heart Attack.

Your friend is in for a real surprise. That pump will most likely only put in about 50 PSI and it will get all messed up,or it will blow up his pump and blow out the new seals he just put in his bike pump. Besides, he'll need a Foster quick disconnect attachment on the end of the hose to attach to the Marauder fill nipple.

I feel for you. It sounds like your friend is not being real smart about this. I'm wondering why he isn't listening to you or taking any of your advice? I hope he doesn't screw up his new P-Rod or get hurt in the process. It would be a shame if he ends up winning a Darwin Award because of this. :crazy:

Well He won't go any further once he realizes that he cannot connect it. Its at this point I will suggest that he do some homework and find out exactly what's required. He is not stupid, but he does take what he reads as the whole picture. So when he read "Air Pump" or "Bicycle Pump" he took that literally. He does get an idea in his head and it just about takes an act of god to convince him otherwise. But I know tomorrow it will be What Is A Foster Fitting. Thanks Again for all the input, I really hate not being helpful.

#12 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Scuba tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users