• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Well if you want to get massive kills on ground squirrels, now is the time. My buddy and I went up to our shooting grounds and were greeted with little squirrels running around playing without a worry in the world. Most shots were around 35 yards, whereas earlier in this year we couldn't get shots closer than about 50-60 yards. I was surprised a couple of times by how small the squirrels were, pretty sure they just came out.I was using my .25 cal Marauder and my buddy was switching between his .22 fx gladiator and 9mm Filarms PCP.

It was a very warm day, with the temperature hitting like 85 degrees by 11am. We had planned to shoot till noon because of the heat but we ended up shooting till like 2pm. When we left it was like 95 degrees. I had only brought a half tin of 350 ct .25 JSBs thinking that it wasn't going to be a good day because of the warm weather but the young squirrels stayed out pretty much the whole time. I really had to make my shots counts though. I had my .22 Marauder rifle and pistol (setup as a carbine) but shooting squirrels ain't the same as taking them with a .25.

We just moved around, shooting at the most active mounds/holes. I always try to keep count but always forget. I asked my buddy how many did he shoot and he said he got at least 65. I think I got more than him while he was sighting in his guns, I shot all the ones around us lol. I'm pretty sure we got way more because there were times where we would shoot 10-15 within minutes. My buddy even got like 3 or 4 within seconds that he caught on video, using his .22 gladiator.We are going to try and go back this weekend since the weather is supposed to be nice. The grass has also been growing because of the recent rain, at some spots it would be like a foot tall causing a couple deflected shots.

So now is the time go get out and take out some diggers ! They are young and dumb. A couple times I would get within a couple feet of them while looking for their brother or sister. I even ran over a stupid squirrel on the way out that was pretty funny. I didn't take very many pictures though because of all the action and the heat. I only took them in the beginning and right before we left. Anyways, thanks for looking, HenryDSC04163.jpg

DSC04162.jpgDSC04160.jpgDSC04161.jpgDSC04166.jpgDSC04165.jpgDSC04164.jpgDSC04170.jpg

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Fun. I wonder if a few thousand of them would survive in Missouri. The ranchers and farmers would love them. :)

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Great job shooting those little ground buggers. Some of those do look very small and very young in the first few shots, the other photo at the bottom looks like some older ones. Nice job!

#4 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

There were only a couple of adults that were taken, I personally don't remember shooting any. I think when we show up they know what time it is lol.

#5 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Excellent report and great pictures. Get those diggers.I noticed you MROD white barrel...can you explain the feature/reason for it?

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

I noticed you MROD white barrel...can you explain the feature/reason for it?

Looks like aluminum to me. Same thing by the hammer. Maybe aluminum with a rifled steel insert for weight?By the way, beautiful pics.

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Excellent report and great pictures. Get those diggers.I noticed you MROD white barrel...can you explain the feature/reason for it?

I think that air rifle is his buddy's Filarms 9mm air rifle. But I could be wrong...

#8 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Oh yeah it's my friends custom 9mm filarms pcp. He made his own shroud cuz he said it's loud without it. I'd say his shroud is pretty effective.

#9 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

Many thanks gents...I'm learning every day I stop by here.Excellent posting.

#10 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Good job henery,I love shooting those little boogars with my 17HMR.Tom

#11 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thanks Tom,I would love to shoot the squirrels with pb's but I don't think the horses or owner would like that since we told him we would be using only "bb guns" lol.Henry

#12 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

Nice going on the squirrels. Always lots of fun when they are out.

#13 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

My hunting buddy text me the other day that he finally had a chance to edit and upload the video from when we went squirrel sniping this day...Watching it made my trigger finger itch pretty bad lol. I'm hoping to get out there real soon once the temp hits the 60's.

Anyways, here is the video my buddy made to go along with the pictures from early last year:

Henry

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Nice job! Nothing like a target rich environment.

#15 YoungGun08

YoungGun08

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, hunting, fishing.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Your a beast bro! Nice shooting and thanks for posting that wicked video. That is a honey hole to say the least!

#16 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Great smack down, loved it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users